Sky Q looks worse than HD ?

Hawkmoon

Feb 19, 2020
Visit site
Just upgraded to Sky Q - only have a 1080 42 inch TV - same TV, same HDMI lead - Sky Q picture is softer and colors washed out compared to picture from my old Sky HD box - new box is 1TB UHD ready box. Have set Sky Q to 1080i. Read on Sky forums lots of others have noticed same - picture on Sky HD was great, then 'upgrade' to Q and its noticeably worse. This is watching HD content - I did not sub to UHD or HDR as my TV does not support it. Are Sky Q boxes somehow set up to look best with OLED or something? My TV is a 5 year old LCD model (Sony). As I said, Sky HD looked awesome. Now with Sky Q the image is much softer and the colors a lot more muted. Now don't get me wrong, I don't want in your face neon TV showroom color and contrast and sharpening artefacts, but I was not expecting this.

Hawkmoon

Feb 19, 2020
Visit site
Huh ? My TV was brilliant with 1080i HD broadcast material with my Sky HD box. The same material with the Sky Q box looks like garbage. Blu Rays look stunning. Trust me it’s not my TV. Google this issue or peruse Sky forums and you’ll see lots of similar posts to mine

Looking at Sky forums, someone found improvement with this:

We just upgraded to Sky Q from HD+ and I was instantly dissapointed with the picture quality. However having had a good play around with TV picture settings and reading some of the forum posts I have found quite a good way to make it work. Quite simply I have set the Picture Resolution Setting on the Q box to 1080p. This gives almost the same quality of picture that we were used to on the HD box. Im happy with that.
Whenever we want to watch anything in UHD we just select it and then press the Red Button, this takes you imediately through to the sub menu page where you can select UHD (2060i) without having to go through all the menu pages. This might work for you too if you are worried about picture quality.

buzz_lightclick

I have a Pioneer 1080p TV and the picture on Sky Q is much better when set to 1080i.
If you set it to 1080p the Q box upscales it (Since Sky HD channels are broadcast in 1080i) and it looks fake and artificial to me.
It’s easy to change in the settings so you can try both and see which you prefer.

Hawkmoon

Feb 19, 2020
Visit site
I have a Pioneer 1080p TV and the picture on Sky Q is much better when set to 1080i.
If you set it to 1080p the Q box upscales it (Since Sky HD channels are broadcast in 1080i) and it looks fake and artificial to me.
It’s easy to change in the settings so you can try both and see which you prefer.
Yup looking on sky forums most agree you should use 1080i and not 1080p

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts