SKY PLUS CONUNDRUM

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I'm trying to record to pc things I have stored on my Sky Plus box (standard one) and dont know how to do it. Can this be done? Do I need a special lead for it? I don't have a separate dvd recorder so can't burn things directly to disk unless i can use the dvd recorder drive on my computer?

Any advice much appreciated.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Sky+ recordings are encoded, whats actually recorded on the SKY box HDD is the compressed satellite stream. It cannot be decoded on a PC. So it is possible to store this data on your pc as data but not viewible content, AFAIK the only way to store it as a viewible dvd is to use a dvd recorder.
emotion-15.gif

Andy TW

Jul 13, 2007
Visit site
You can record from the Sky+ box to your computer unless the content is copy protected (mainly box office stuff, some films and some sport).

Firstly you need to have a TV/Video capture card and software on your PC.

Then you need to connect the scart output from the Sky+ box to the PC.

You can do this using a scart to composite video + stereo phono lead.
You should then be able to record whatever is playing on the Sky+ box.

You may also be able to connect the Sky+ to the PC using the s-video and stereo phono outputs on the Sky+ box if your video capture card allows s-video input (most do).

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Andy TW"]You can record from the Sky+ box to your computer unless the content is copy protected (mainly box office stuff, some films and some sport).
You can do this using a scart to composite video + stereo phono lead. You should then be able to record whatever is playing on the Sky+ box.
You may also be able to connect the Sky+ to the PC using the s-video and stereo phono outputs on the Sky+ box if your video capture card allows s-video input (most do).

[/quote]

This is hardly a good way to record good quality dvd's tho is it, scart to composite is not going to give you dvd quality and svhs is not much better. There is also the expense of buying and installing the card where you could go out and buy a cheep dvd recorder and record via RGB scart offering a far better result. You could always get the dvd recorder from some where, use it, put it back into its box and go get a full refund, very naughty but hey
emotion-14.gif

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
If shops will offer a no quible money back guarentee then why not exploite it? I used to be Management for a large supermarket chain (self employed now days) and this happened all the time. Now I was not suggesting not returning the good as you found them, but we used to get people return a half drunk bottle of booze demanding a full refund and they got it knowing full well that there was nothing wrong with said goods.If shops want to offer this type of refund promiss then they must expect the cunning public to use it to their advantage as the only real reason the retailer is offering this gurantee is because they want your money! and companys like large supermarket chains hardly have the customers best interests at heart when they think up these schemes do they.
emotion-40.gif

Their is nothing illeagle in doing this either as it is the shops choice to offer this type of promise to the customer, and they know that it is a loophole that some customers will use and they expect it to happen. Are you telling me that if you found a loophole in the way you pay your income tax that leaglly ment you could pay less tax that you would not use this to your advantage???? Loopholes are loopholes and their to be used.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="D.J.KRIME"]

If shops will offer a no quible money back guarentee then why not exploite it? ...If shops want to offer this type of refund promiss then they must expect the cunning public to use it to their advantage... Their is nothing illeagle in doing this either as it is the shops choice to offer this type of promise to the customer, and they know that it is a loophole that some customers will use and they expect it to happen.

[/quote]

Illegal, no; unethical, yes. You and I clearly live in very different worlds.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Andrew Everard"]Illegal, no; unethical, yes.[/quote]

Its is hardly ethical for these shops to sell Chickens that have had lives in giant barns and never seen the light of day before being killed to make the supermarket a giant profits either is it Andrew but it happens. When supermarkets etc come up with any of these gurantees etc ethics are not in their minds only getting your hard earned cash out of your pockets and into their tills, so if on the odd occasion average joe public cant get one back on them for offering a rather silly promiss then good luck to him.
emotion-21.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Ah, the global capitalist conspiracy rears its ugly head.

OK, I'm with you: let's take the supermarkets for all they're worth - remember, we're doing it for the chickens!

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
Christmas? Surely that's just another part of the conspiracy to rip us off as much as possible?

emotion-2.gif

[/quote]

Now you come to mention it..... LOL

A

Anonymous

Stop winding Andrew up....especially when he's doing a Morse and trying to listen to The Messiah!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Next week on whathifi.com, we'll be attempting to go from Russ Andrews' Mains Silencer to the case for and against Palestinian sovereignty in less than six moves.
emotion-15.gif

Andy TW

Jul 13, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="D.J.KRIME"]
[quote user="Andy TW"]You can record from the Sky+ box to your computer unless the content is copy protected (mainly box office stuff, some films and some sport).
You can do this using a scart to composite video + stereo phono lead. You should then be able to record whatever is playing on the Sky+ box.

[/quote]

This is hardly a good way to record good quality dvd's tho is it, scart to composite is not going to give you dvd quality and svhs is not much better. There is also the expense of buying and installing the card where you could go out and buy a cheep dvd recorder and record via RGB scart offering a far better result. You could always get the dvd recorder from some where, use it, put it back into its box and go get a full refund, very naughty but hey
emotion-14.gif

[/quote]

If quality is the prime consideration then I agree that a DVD recorder fed with RGB is the best option.
However if the original poster already has suitable hardware/software on their PC then all they require is a cable and while s-video is not quite as good as RGB it is still acceptable.
An external usb video capture box costs around £50 which is close to the cost of a cheap DVD recorder. The choice then comes down to the better quality (via RGB) of the recorder against the extra flexibility of recording via a PC (albeit at a slightly lower quality) which is up to the original poster to decide.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

Thanks for the advice on my original post. Much appreciated.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts