Sky movies/channels on xbox360=no TV license

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I cannot stand the fact that we have to pay a TV license. I do not watch BBC TV or listen to their Radio or watch iplayer.

So i'm quite excited that xbox360 will be getting sky channels. assuming this doesn't include BBC then we can all cancel our TV license if we wish and just get content to our TV via xbox 360.

you think this will happen or will they have a sneaky work round to charge?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
It's my understanding that if you have equipment capable of receiving live broadcasts, however they are sent/received, then you will need a TV licence.

A

Anonymous

But if there is no BBC channel coming via xbox then they can't charge. If you are watching pre recorded i.e. dvd etc then you don't need a license.

sc1

Sep 4, 2008
Visit site
As stated if you have a television/freeview box/freeview capable dvd recorder or any piece of equipment capable of receiving bbc tv channels you have to pay. So if you are watching a pre recorded DVD on a television capable of receiving the broadcasts you do have to pay. They get you every which way.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Wording direct from the TV Licensing authority:

"You must be covered by a valid TV Licence if you watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV. It makes no difference what equipment you use - whether it's a laptop, PC, mobile phone, digital box, DVD recorder or a TV set - you still need a licence.

You do not need a TV Licence to view video clips on the internet, as long as what you are viewing is not being shown on TV at the same time as you are viewing it.

If you use a digital box with a hi-fi system, or another device that can only be used to produce sounds and can't display TV programmes, and you don't install or use any other TV receiving equipment, you don't need a TV Licence."

The key part is that 'TV receiving equipment' that could be a TV tuner in your computer, or even the ability to watch live TV on your mobile phone.

And it doesn't matter if it's BBC or not - the fact that the licence fee ends up with the Beeb is neither here not there ... It's just another tax.

A

Anonymous

Like Clare says it's a licence to receive TV/radio broadcasts, whether they be BBC, sky, cable or whatever is irrelevant. Controversially they will also do you for having TV equipment able to receive broadcasts but not in use.

We had to have a telly licence to recieve sky analougue (no beeb/itv them days on sky), when the reason we had sky was because TV reception was unavaliable in the area...

daveh75

unconditional:

Like Clare says it's a licence to receive TV/radio broadcasts,Actually a licence is only required for tv broadcasts.Although part of the licence fee fund's radio broadcast's it's not a requirement to have a licence to listen/receive it.That rule was abolished year's ago.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts