Sky iPad control

Joe Cox

Content Director, What Hi-Fi?
Staff member
May 31, 2007
Visit site
Now! The latest update to the Sky+ iPad app turns it in to a remote control:

http://www.whathifi.com/news/sky-ipad-app-is-now-a-remote-control

Handy for flicking through the EPG or your recordings without interrupting what's on your TV screen...

Even mine hasn't been updated yet:

We're updating the Sky Guide on the majority of our Sky+HD boxes to make it easier to use. We've improved the way the Sky Guide looks and you'll be able to find your favourite shows more quickly. You do not need an HD pack to access the new Sky Guide. The first phase of update is now complete and all DRX890 models of the Sky+HD and the Sky+HD 1TB should now have the new Sky Guide.

Tab1Tvimage.png

To find out which Sky+HD box model you have, press Services on your Sky Remote, then press 0 to highlight Settings. Press 3 to highlight System Details. Note down the version number, 2nd line from the top of the screen:
[*]4F31- You have an Amstrad DRX890 or DRX895 and you should already have the new Sky Guide
[*]4F30- You have an Amstrad DRX780. You'll receive the new Sky Guide in the next few months
[*]9730- You have a Samsung. You'll receive the new Sky Guide in the next few months
[*]9F30- You have a Pace. You'll receive the new Sky Guide in the next few months
[*]4E30- You have a Thomson. Unfortunately, we are not updating this box with the new Sky Guide.[/list]
The new Sky Guide is only available on certain boxes as only Sky+HD boxes have the power and capabilities to run the new software. Thomson and older Sky+ are not optimised for software updates or services such as these enhanced Sky+ app features and our library of TV on demand.

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
All up and running and I'm impressed by how smooth and easy to use it is. Certainly better than my current contortions that are needed with the sky remote since my sky box is behind me!

Good fun to wind up the kids by pausing the tv randomly ;)

PJ1200

Jan 4, 2008
Visit site
I am assuming you have to have the updated EPG for this to work?

I downloaded the app last night on my iPad and when I load it up at the moment it can't find my Sky HD Box on my network (despite it being plugged in via wifi connectors for Anytime +).

I would have thought it could still connect to my box, but perhaps without the functionality of the new EPG?

Any ideas?

PJ1200 said:

I downloaded the app last night on my iPad and when I load it up at the moment it can't find my Sky HD Box on my network (despite it being plugged in via wifi connectors for Anytime +).

I would have thought it could still connect to my box, but perhaps without the functionality of the new EPG?d

Any ideas?

You have to have the new EPG for it to work, or even find the Sky HD box.

PJ1200

Jan 4, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
PJ1200 said:

I would have thought it could still connect to my box, but perhaps without the functionality of the new EPG?d

Any ideas?

You have to have the new EPG for it to work, or even find the Sky HD box.

Perfect - cheers BigBoss. I think my box (based on the info from Sky) is due in the 'next few months' to be upgraded...

SnowyJohn

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Any word on Virgin creating an app anywhere as good as this for the Tivo?

The Sky+ and Sky Go apps are great. An impending decision might mean I'd be missing out big time unless Virgin get their act together.

ukdavej

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
Clare Newsome said:
And gives you a backlit remote control! Perfect for those of us that watch in the dark....

I have this vision now of one of those scary guys who light their face with a torch! - I won't sleep now :O

SnowyJohn said:
Any word on Virgin creating an app anywhere as good as this for the Tivo?

The Sky+ and Sky Go apps are great. An impending decision might mean I'd be missing out big time unless Virgin get their act together.

October/November apparently (although no mention of which YEAR!) I did ring CS and got some blather about "wanting to make sure you get the best experience possible means we won't let you have it until it's perfect" which if my experience is correct translates to "we know sky have stolen the march on us AGAIN! and we're trying to cobble something together. However, it's still rubbish so you can't have it yet or we'll lose more customers to Mr Murdoch, but be patient, Uncle Richard will deliver"

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts