Sky HD with Onkly 706 Amp - Sound Breaking Up

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I've had Sky HD for some time now and it's been fantastic, this weekend I upgradedmy home cinema system to the Onkly 706 amp ad a set of B&W MT-30's.

All is gand with h exception of one thing... When the Sky HD box broadcasts a HD program with Dolby Digital sound, the amp seems to break up the sound. If I set the amp t use the stereo signal from the HDMI it works okay (but is obviously not right). Settng the sound to use the optical input, the sound breaks up again.

Any help would be most welcome!

Thanks,

Andy

TV - Pioneer Kuro 42"

Amp - Onkyo 706

Speakers - B&W T-30

Interconnects - HDMI all round with optical for sound on the Sky HD box

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
Could you give more detail regarding the 'break up', dj? ÿHow frequent is it? ÿDo you mean distortion or a sound drop-out? ÿYou know there is a known issue with DD sound on Sky Sports HD? ÿThe drop-outs were quite frequent during Saturday's rugby.

A

Anonymous

Hi, I guess dropping out would be a better description.

The sound can be okay for a bit, then it will go quiet for a split second, then the sound continues.

I thought it was initially the recording, but when switching to using the HDMI for sound it was all fine (so in thinking it was the broadcast I deleted an episode of Fringe. grr).

Is the known issue on Sky Sports a Sky thing or something to do with the amp?

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
The Sky Sports sound drop-outs are somewhere at their end. ÿIf you look on some other forums, it obviously sends some people completely mad. ÿPersonally, I can live with it and I love the 'ambience' thing you get with the top matches.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

This is perculiar.

I've just tried playing a DVD (HD-e35 player) and the sound drops-out on that too. However, a strange thing is that if I set the DVD to be in DTS, or it's only DPLII, then the sound is fine.

Could there be some problem with the amp playing back DD?

Any help would be most very welcome.

Cheers

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
I have an Onkyo 905 and Sky HD. I get the same problem with HD programmes and DD5.1 out. I am inclined to believe that it is the Sky Box rather than the amplifier as I have no problems with anything else. It can be a bit irritating but not enough to get upset about.

A

Anonymous

Cheers Voodoo,

I'm confused though why the DD from the DVD player (over HDMI) is causing it to drop out.

I don't suppose anyone else out there has had anything similar have they?

Cheers,

Andy

A

Anonymous

I have exactly the same problem! Whenever watching programes in DD the sound cuts out for a split second and then comes straight back.

I thought it was a problem with my amp but now I'm not sure wether it is a problem with the Sky box as any other DD input works fine.

Any ideas anybody, it's really annoying!

A

Anonymous

Well, I've found out that it was a fault with the Onkyo amp. I've taken it back to the shop who have assessed it and have ordered me a replacement.

I'm hoping that the new one will work nicely for both Sky HD and normal DD.

A

Anonymous

So - after a long while of flawless operation, the replacement is also having to go back to the shop (or, repair place as the shop is now closed).

Every morning when the amp is first turned on I only hear sound from the sub - that reassuring rumble that the PV1 is there, working nicely - but no other speakers. After turning the amp off and on repeatedly, I may get sound from another speaker (generally front left), then, after doing that a number of times, I generally get sound coming from all speakers. If I turn the amp off and leave for a while, it happens again. Most annying!

I've checked the wires and they're all fine; tried "Pure AV" mode and no change; plug in some headphones and it's all fine; different inputs all have the same problem.

There is however another problem with the amp, and it's with SkyHD again...

Occasionally, when watching a HD broadcast the screen will go all blue with no sound. Turning off the amp allows the TV to work with sound and picture (I'm guessing using a passthrough mechanism). After about 10 minutes, this then goes all bue and has no sound either. Switching back on the amp gets it all working again - until it happens next time.

The odd thing about this is, a family member with the 606 amp has also experienced the same problem at the same time, both with SkyHD and both with Onkyo amps. Coincidence? perhaps.

Either way, it's going back and I'm having to suffer the torture that is TV built in speakers - yuck! (Even the wife has complained about how bad the sound is, "bring back the surround sound thing" she says)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts