SKY+HD HDMI connection problem (via AV amp)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I've just had SKY+ HD installed now that the price is so tempting. I'm trying to connect my TV (Pioneer PDP 5090) via my AV amp (Pioneer SC-LX71) using HDMI. It all works fine when the amp is switched on, but I get no picture (or sound) when I try it with the amp switched off. THe manual's small print says it should output both video and sound even in standby as long as its "HDMI control" is enabled. Any clues? I've even rung Pioneer, but I'm still waiting for them to call me back with a solution. Grateful for any advice anyone might have........

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
DawnandJim:
Hi Everyone,

I've just had SKY+ HD installed now that the price is so tempting. I'm trying to connect my TV (Pioneer PDP 5090) via my AV amp (Pioneer SC-LX71) using HDMI. It all works fine when the amp is switched on, but I get no picture (or sound) when I try it with the amp switched off. THe manual's small print says it should output both video and sound even in standby as long as its "HDMI control" is enabled. Any clues? I've even rung Pioneer, but I'm still waiting for them to call me back with a solution. Grateful for any advice anyone might have........

If you have one hdmi from screen to receiver and then Sky HD connected to the receiver via hdmi, you will need the amp switched on to watch Sky. Think about it, your tv isn't connected to the Sky box.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply Gerrardasnails. It prompted me to re-check page 88 of the amp's manual. In fact, when in standby, it does allow for devices connected to the amp's HDMI inputs still to output sound and vision through the amp's HDMI output, and, thus, to my TV as long as its HDMI Control function is switched on. However, it adds the caveat of "When this unit's power is turned off and you have a supported source begin playback....the audio and video from the HDMI connection are output...". I don't think Sky HD is a supported source. I'll have to buy a longer HDMI and connect straight to the TV!!

Cheers.

digigriffin

Sep 25, 2008
Visit site
It is possible that your amp does what you want.

My Onkyo 606 does exacctly what you are saying

Sky+HD to onkyo 606 in standby and it passes the hdmi (audio and video) through to the tv.

I did need to be enable hdmi control in the settings as you have mentioned.

A

Anonymous

Thanks very much for your reply Digigriffin. That makes me think I ought to wait for the guys from Pioneer's tech team to call after all. I've already enabled the HDMI control on the Pioneer amp and TV , but still not getting any joy from the Sky HD box. Perhaps there's a setting that I'm not using on the amp, or perhaps there's something the engineer who installed my Sky box could have set on that box, using a menu not available to me, but didn't. I'll try contacting Sky too. Appreciate your reply!!

digigriffin

Sep 25, 2008
Visit site
There is no setting on the Sky+HD that has anything to do with the HDMI pass through of the amp.

This would only be an amp setting.

I seem to recall that when I enabled hdmi control on my onkyo 606 this enabled a couple of other options beneath it.

When I changed these now enabled options it did prevent/enable the hdmi pass through?

It certainly took my a couple of tries with diferent settings to get it to work.

A

Anonymous

Just in case anyone else reads this post looking for guidance on Sky+HD HDMI connections, thought I'd post the outcome of my conversations with Sky's technical support.

I rang them to check whether any version of the HD boxes supported HDMI CEC (HDMI Control, or Kuro Link in Pioneer-speak). THeir answer was a definite no. That certainly explains my Pioneer amp not recognising the Sky box input in standby and passing it throuigh to my screen, even with HDMI Control switched on. I asked them whether it was a firmware issue, and thus in the pipeline for resolution, but the response was that it was a hardware issue, and so no firmware update was possible. I also checked to see if future versions of the Sky HD box would resolve the issue, but they were unaware of any plans. He did say that, if enough people suggested this via the Sky website ("My Sky"), it might be considered. It would certainly make the Sky HD user's experience a bit better, as it would enable a number of benefits, not just being able to watch the odd episode of "Top Gear" without cranking up the entire surround sound system.

It looks like your Onkyo luckily manages to talk to the HD box in a different way from my Pioneer, Digigriffin. I've just ordered a longer HDMI cable to stretch to my plasma instead.

Thanks again for your advice.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts