Sky HD but no phone line, do wireless phone senders work?

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
I am seriously considering getting Sky HD (I am currently not a Sky subscriber) and am undecided on what room to put it in. One of the rooms on my list does not have a phone line installed. Does anyone have a knowledge of the wireless phone senders such as this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/RTX-WTA-111-Wireless-Phone/dp/B000NJQHL4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1233837159&sr=8-1 ?. There seems to be a mix of reviews between "yes it all worked fine" and "no it doesnt work at all with HD". Anyone used one of these successfully or unsuccessfully?

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
I don't know about wireless senders, but if you take Sky's phone package as well, they'll install a line free as far as I am aware.

A

Anonymous

OR you can now subscribe to Sky without having it connected to a phone line at all. Am pretty sure you have to phone up to subscribe ( as I did ) and miss out on some of the offers you get for subscribing on line PLUS you have to pay an extra £25 one off fee when you join up. At least you now have the option though!

daveh75

The Sky engineer will/should make a connection to the nearest phone socket as part of the installation, although if it's more than a 20m run you may be charged for the extra meterage but more often or not is over looked!

A

Anonymous

or you could like me just use a phone line extension lead to do the updates when you get the box and then take it away once the installer has gone, Thats what i did :) , No leads and no charge.
I have had the phone line disconnected for the past 2 years from the sky box and they have never said anything to me.

mikey2008

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
jasonsony735:or you could like me just use a phone line extension lead to do the updates when you get the box and then take it away once the installer has gone, Thats what i did :) , No leads and no charge. I have had the phone line disconnected for the past 2 years from the sky box and they have never said anything to me.

I have done this as well.

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
mikey2008:
jasonsony735:or you could like me just use a phone line extension lead to do the updates when you get the box and then take it away once the installer has gone, Thats what i did :) , No leads and no charge. I have had the phone line disconnected for the past 2 years from the sky box and they have never said anything to me.

I have done this as well.

Hmm, this is interesting! I have read elsewhere that you may very well get a letter from Sky saying "plug it back in or else". Maybe this is just when you have multi room?

daveh75

I seriously would advise against doing this! Unless you pay the one-off £25 not to have the phoneline connected, The T&C's state you must have it connected for the first 12 month's. I know people have/do get away with just unplugging it after the installer has left,BUT Sky go through phases of cracking down on this like they are atm.

You will get a letter from them telling you to reconnect it, if you dont you will get a couple of further letters from them followed by an engineer's visit to connect it. If the box is still not connected after all this Your in breach of contract and Sky can/will/do hit your for it.

Best case scenario is they will just charge you the £25, but i have also seen them charge the full RRP of the set top box(between £99-£269 dependant on stb type) and/or cancel your subcription,but still charge you for the remaining month's left on your subcription!

Not only that but it can have consequences for the installer also,which vary depending on whether they are Sky in-house installer's or Sub-contractor's.

mikey2008

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
daveh75:

I seriously would advise against doing this! Unless you pay the one-off £25 not to have the phoneline connected, The T&C's state you must have it connected for the first 12 month's. I know people have/do get away with just unplugging it after the installer has left,BUT Sky go through phases of cracking down on this like they are atm.

You will get a letter from them telling you to reconnect it, if you dont you will get a couple of further letters from them followed by an engineer's visit to connect it. If the box is still not connected after all this Your in breach of contract and Sky can/will/do hit your for it.

Best case scenario is they will just charge you the £25, but i have also seen them charge the full RRP of the set top box(between £99-£269 dependant on stb type) and/or cancel your subcription,but still charge you for the remaining month's left on your subcription!

Not only that but it can have consequences for the installer also,which vary depending on whether they are Sky in-house installer's or Sub-contractor's.

Is the suggestion that, if I don't have the phone line plugged in, I'm going to get in serious trouble because I don't have my phone line connected? This is rubbish, because as long as I am paying Sky £67 (yes, £67), they're not going to to give two flying ***** whose phone line is connected. Am I wrong|??

daveh75

I know people get away with it on a regular basis, but sky do crack down on this from time to time.. It's not rubbish,not saying they're going to cancel every one's subscription for not having the phoneline connected but they can do it The fact you'r e paying them £££'s a month makes no difference, as i've said they can suspend your service and still take the money for the remainder of your subscription anyway if your in breach of contract.

Yes they do give two flying *****. One of the main reason's behind all this is because the stb's are partly subsidised by a third party (BIB) who run all the interactive games, gambling etc,if your phone lines not connected they cant make money from you and tend to want their subsidy back.

It becomes irrelevent after 12 months anyway as you're no longer bound by the T&C's.

Anyway my original point being that although people do get away with disconnecting the line It is not the case for everyone and just to highlight what Sky can do

Tonya

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
Just a technical point fellas, the phone line has of course got nothing to do with the software updates, as they are transmitted automatically over the air, usually early morning around 02:00 - 03:00. Other posters have quite correctly pointed out that the phone line being connected is part of the contract as without it, you cannot successfully use the interactive service, as in "vote now", request local cinema information, order goods, etc. I have had my $ky systems almost from day one without ever connecting them to a phone line apart from when buying a new unit that has to be "married" to the viewing card. Even then, it was done abroad with the use of a white box. IMHO, as long as you are paying the subscription, nothing bad happens. Indeed if $ky suddenly blocked all of the boxes around Europe from working because they weren't connected via the phone line, they would probably loose about 20% of their total subscriber base and are well aware of the fact. Reminds me of the time Tandberg released a sat tuner many years ago in the D2Mac era, which would not read "alternative" viewing cards. As soon as that fact hit the sat magazines over here, sales stopped overnight. The model was withdrawn, redesigned and relaunched with a more friendly card reader, due to complaints from customers regarding "incompatability with certain dirty or damaged cards". Hmmm!

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
Until recently I didn't have Sky connected to a phone line and received several letters from Sky threatening to stop my Multiroom connection if I didn't connect to the phone line as per the terms of my contract.

A

Anonymous

I had a Sky box in my lounge and had paid the £25 because I didn't want the phone line extended from the kitchen where the cordless base unit was. I soon upgraded to Sky+ and was told (by sales) that I was ok without the phone line, but the installation enginerr said I needed it so I ran an extension reel to the kitchen for the installation and then removed itonce he'd gone. I then purchased a Wireless PhoneJack from Screwfix and this did the job - I could use the interactive services on the Sky+ box.

When the HD box was installed, the Sky+ wsas moved to another room as multiroom, and I installed another wireless reciever. I cannot get the HD box to go 'interactive' without connecting a fixed line. Both the recievers work if I connect them on the Sky+ box, but neither work on the HD box -. The only prioblem with this is that occasionally the HD box shuts down and doesn't respond until I connect the fixed phone line. - Any ideas??

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
1. To answer the OP's question, I recently tried a maplins phone extender (Samsung Sky+ HD box) but it didn't work so I sent it back. I'm not sure why I wanted it in the first place as

2. I have had sky for years and have never needed to use the interactive services (voting, box office etc.) and sky have never contacted me about not having the box connected to the phone line.

3. Sky do test the phone line connection once a month but as I said above, they never contacted me even in my first 12 months to threaten to cancel.

4. You must have a phone line connected on multi-room boxes as Sky need to know that the box is being used in the bill payer's household and not elsewhere for £10 a month!

The only requirement I have had to connect the phone line up was to set up remote record. Once setup, the phone extension was disconnected and I can now program my sky box online over-the-air.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts