Sky+ HD box freezing - do others still get this problem ?

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
When HD boxes were first released there seemed to be loads of threads on forums regarding the boxes freezing, and them needing a reset. Was wondering if people still get these problems since firmware updates etc, as i still seem to get a problem at least once a week where i need to reset the box at the mains. I know for a fact that if i were to go away for a week, that not all of my programs on the planner for the time i'm away would record. Is it a case of just put up with it, or perhaps i'm not on the latest firmware (though shouldn't that download automatically via the dish) ? My box is past it's 12 month warranty so i've no idea what Sky would be able to do for me apart from their very helpful 'switch it off at the mains' advise.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Again, it's a rarity for me now (I have the Samsung box, by the way). Got back from 12 days away recently to find every programme recorded, no problem (and a scary 4% left on the box! Had to get watching quick
emotion-2.gif
)

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
I had a lot of similar problems with my old Thomson box, but rarely have any issues now with a Samsung.

I've had the Samsung a year, and can't remember having any failed recordings. The only issue I occasionally get is a blue or green screen when I switch on the box, and the only thing I can do is disconnect at the mains. That's only happened a couple of times.

I'd call Sky and ask if there's anything they can do. I don't know if they still offer the £60 replacement service, but they may offer you a discount on a new 1TB box if you grump enough. Hope you get something sorted
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

is it a tompson box?, mine lasted three years then it started to play up. missed recordings, sound dropouts and other niggaly things, when i had a missed recording one night, that i happened to be in and i went to check the signal strenght and on input two it said "not locked" opened up the box and about 6 of the capacitors on the power supply unit were bulging and some leaking, one of which i belives send power to the LNB. any way £20.00 later and a bit of soildering and its as good as new.a quick google of satcure should bring up the required parts and how to do it.

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
Mine is a Thomson box. Got the following info from it :-

Model : 902020
Ver : 4E3011
O/S : 1.32B12
EPG s/w : sky+8.3.2

Does anyone know if any of the above is out of date in temrs of firmware / software ?

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
I still have the same problem with my Thomson box but have cured it by plugging it into a timer and getting it to switch off for an hour or so every night.

Seems to be heat related but my box is in a cool room with lots of air all around it (including underneath). The ventilation reduced the problem but the timer is the only cure I have found.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts