Sky HD box firmware update - improved GUI

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
Re the better image. I thought it looked sharper and the colours punchier overall.

I also just treated myself to a 1Tb box so that I have room to record all my stuff in HD - very nice. Gave my old HD box to the kids.

tvmog

Apr 1, 2008
Visit site
I'm interested to hear that some people are reporting an improvement in picture quality since the upgrade as my experience has been the exact opposite. I received the EPG upgrade overnight on Monday, and since then my picture quality has been appalling. HD is soft and grainy and lacking in depth with shimmering around object edges, and SD is almost unwatchable. Oddly the dolby 5.1 sounds very harsh and sibilent also. I'm going to try a reboot and re adjust my TV's picture settings.

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I have movie package and i'm thinking of getting 'rid as i'm fed up with the lack of picture quality...why can't we have 1080p???

As for the new menu i say to sky oooh thanx :roll: ,but why do films when the scene is dark look like syrup is covering my screen |(

Sorry folks..rant over

Sliced Bread

I must be the only person not to have noticed a quality difference either way. Maybe I need a better tele :)

The anytime programmes are lower quality, but then that's to be expected from streaming content.

Overall I think it's a nice little upgrade.

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I live in Maidstone Kent and have not had this upgrade yet.

Any ideas when they are rolling this out for different regions ? Where are you guys located ?

Presumably its all done automatically via the dish ?

psurquhart said:

Any ideas when they are rolling this out for different regions ? Where are you guys located ?

I understand it's being randomly updated. It should happen by the end of this year.

http://corporate.sky.com/skyviews/sky/new_sky_plus_hd_epg_rolling_out_this_year

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
bigboss said:
psurquhart said:

I understand it's being randomly updated. It should happen by the end of this year.

Indeed. I got it a month or so back, my friend a few streets away got it last week.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I got it 2 nights ago (3am according to my wife), still to make my mind up on overall picture quality, but the EPG is definitely better.

proffski

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
brendonw said:
Had this for a little while. Clearer, sharper and quicker! :)

Fascinating, and I thought it was my eyes. Improvements all round except that mine is now somewhat slower... small price to pay though. Well done SKY!

tvmog

Apr 1, 2008
Visit site
tvmog said:
I'm interested to hear that some people are reporting an improvement in picture quality since the upgrade as my experience has been the exact opposite. I received the EPG upgrade overnight on Monday, and since then my picture quality has been appalling. HD is soft and grainy and lacking in depth with shimmering around object edges, and SD is almost unwatchable. Oddly the dolby 5.1 sounds very harsh and sibilent also. I'm going to try a reboot and re adjust my TV's picture settings.

I've done the reboot and there has been a huge improvement in the picture quality. Oddly, the most noticable improvement is on the EPG screen itself . Straight after the update the blue background was dark and muddy and the text quite blurry and fizzing around the edges. Now the blue is much brighter and clearer and the text sharper and more stable. I'm currently watching Le Tour on Eurosport HD and the scenery looks spectacular. As they say... go figure.

tvmog said:
Oddly, the most noticable improvement is on the EPG screen itself . Straight after the update the blue background was dark and muddy and the text quite blurry and fizzing around the edges. Now the blue is much brighter and clearer and the text sharper and more stable. I'm currently watching Le Tour on Eurosport HD and the scenery looks spectacular. As they say... go figure.

And, on top of this, the whole Sky Guide will also be available in pinpoint HD, delivering sharp graphics consistent with the stunning quality of our HD channels.

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Got mine updated a few days ago and the first thing i noticed was how much better the Picture quality, so much sharper / clearer with even more vivid colour....Superb!!

Also the Sound quality seems so much louder to me too as i used to turn my volume up to a certain level whilst watching movies in 5.1, now i dont have to go as far with the volume :)

Overall it's a great upgrade probably the best sky have done, happy days :dance:

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

I think this is a great improvement to the EPG.

For those who want it but don't want to wait for it, you can unplug the HD box then whilst holding down the 'back up' button on top of the box, put the plug back in. Keep your finger on the 'back up' button until you see an onscreen message telling you the box is doing an update. When the update is complete, the new EPG is installed.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

Cofnchtr said:
Hi,

I think this is a great improvement to the EPG.

For those who want it but don't want to wait for it, you can unplug the HD box then whilst holding down the 'back up' button on top of the box, put the plug back in. Keep your finger on the 'back up' button until you see an onscreen message telling you the box is doing an update. When the update is complete, the new EPG is installed.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

Nope, didn't work for me either.

Looks like I'll get it later this year (as mine is 4F30):

How can I find out which Sky+HD box model I have?

Press Services[/b] on your Sky Remote, then press 0[/b] to highlight Settings[/b]. Press 3 to highlight System Details[/b]. Note down the version Number 2nd line from the top of the screen.

If you have a version beginning with 4F31[/b], then you have an Amstrad DRX890[/b] or DRX895[/b]. As you are in the current wave of customers receiving the update, you will receive the new Sky Guide within the next few months.

If you have a version beginning with 4F30[/b], then you have a Amstrad DRX780[/b]. You will receive the new Sky Guide later in the year.

If you have a version beginning with 9730[/b], then you have a Samsung[/b]. You will receive the new Sky Guide later in the year.

If you have a version beginning with 9F30[/b], then you have a Pace[/b]. You will receive the new Sky Guide later in the year.

If you have a version beginning with 4E30[/b], then you have a Thomson[/b]. Unfortunately, we are not updating this box with the new Sky Guide.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts