Sky HD Audio Options

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello all,

I have ordered Sky HD which will be installed on tuesday (16th), and I'm both surprised and disappointed to learn that DD5.1 is not carried over HDMI. So my question is: Which is better, Optical or coax?

My amp is a Sony STR-DG820.

Thanks!

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

Dear poorly lashed together personalised numberplate,

I agree with slewis.

So a 50p optical cable will sound the same as a 500 quid co axial cable?

A

Anonymous

aliEnRIK:

So a 50p optical cable will sound the same as a 500 quid co axial cable?

Oh ho!

LittleLouie dives for cover.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
professorhat:

aliEnRIK:So a 50p optical cable will sound the same as a 500 quid co axial cable?

The question was:

KAIS3R SOSE:Which is better, Optical or coax?

No mention of cables.

If the question wasnt about cables youd better explain what it WAS about then?

Whilst its true that the information leaving the sky box from both ports ARE exactly the same (or should be), I believe the actual question (Though vague), was 'which will sound better'?

And my question was simply because everyone at WHF seems to duck under this question. The reviews state that one coax will sound better than another or optical lead X has more detail than coaxial lead Y or whatever, and stars given to state as such. And yet when people come on here and ask which is better the answer is always 'they will be the same' (well, to be honest, the answers given are usually VERY vague, almost as if to avoid the question)

Call me cynical but you cant post in a magazine that they sound different then post on your own forum that they sound the same.

Yes, it might make a difference how much you spend, equipment used etc. But ultimately if theyre different then theyre different.

Now if they really DO all sound the same then how can the reviews say different?

As in example ~

If say you can buy a coaxial lead for 20 quid by manufacturer 'A' and an optical from manufacturer 'B' (or indeed the same manufacturer) for the same price (or again, ANY price), is there ANY audible difference between them or not? If the answer is no then the reviews are......well......out the window

So if any WHF staff are around to give 'any' indications as to which to buy and why im all ears

You might suggest for 20 quid or under to buy cable 'X' for example

Or for +£20 - £50 cable 'Y' or whatever

Be interesting to see if there ARE any recommendations and why, or will there simply be more 'ducking and diving' (or complete silence)................

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Again you are totally missing the point, Alien Erik: all I said was that sound quality from both the optical and electrical outputs on the Sky box is much the same. And of course not all Sky boxes have both outputs.

I offered no opinion on the merits of the different cables, those of cables of different prices, or the superiority of Wensleydale over Gruyere, because that was not what the original post was asking.

Now put that axe away before it's completely ground down.

A

Anonymous

I reckon out of 1000 sky HD boxes sold 999 people fit a 99p optical cable from tesco or asdas, sit back and watch without ever caring about sound or picture quality. Its the other 1 in 1000 that comes on the forums to research which is the best for this and best for that.

daveh75

Actually,i think your reckoning is way off............The vast majority of Sky boxes aren't connected to anything other than a TV.So the majority aren't using cheap optical/coaxial cables-because they're not using them at all.
emotion-5.gif

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

Again you are totally missing the point, Alien Erik: all I said was that sound quality from both the optical and electrical outputs on the Sky box is much the same. And of course not all Sky boxes have both outputs.

I offered no opinion on the merits of the different cables, those of cables of different prices, or the superiority of Wensleydale over Gruyere, because that was not what the original post was asking.

Now put that axe away before it's completely ground down.

Im not grinding any axes

Ive asked this question before on my own post a few months back and was completely ignored. So ill reask on here.............Can anyone at WHF please recommend either an optical or coaxial digital cable for 100 quid or under and why its recommended (Assuming both the source and the amp are completely equal for both inputs and outputs) ?

A

Anonymous

I apologise for sounding vague in my original post, but what I was trying to determine was which audio out should I use? The reply was they are both the same, so from there I could look at cables and find a good cable within my price range. In the end I ordered a QED performance digital coax from Superfi for about £25, it is an award winner after all? I may have jumped the gun here tho as some of you are saying there is no coax out on the Sky box, so I guess I will find out on tuesday!

Sorry for any confusion!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
aliEnRIK:Ive asked this question before on my own post a few months back and was completely ignored. So ill reask on here.............Can anyone at WHF please recommend either an optical or coaxial digital cable for 100 quid or under and why its recommended (Assuming both the source and the amp are completely equal for both inputs and outputs) ?

Click.

A

Anonymous

KAIS3R SOSE:

In the end I ordered a QED performance digital coax from Superfi for about £25, it is an award winner after all? I may have jumped the gun here tho as some of you are saying there is no coax out on the Sky box, so I guess I will find out on tuesday!

Sorry for any confusion!

If your box turns out to be optical only, you should be able to return the cable under Distance Selling Regulations and order an optical instead.

A

Anonymous

Ok, nice one thanks!

You have got me wondering now, how many versions of the box are Sky currently supplying and which is the best one? Do you think I can request one with coax out, or has a box already been assigned to me and cant be changed?

A

Anonymous

I have a sony strdh-810 av reciever. I have both the HDMI and Digital Optical cables connected from my SKY HD box into the reciever.

1. Is this the correct set up to reciece DD5.1?

2. How do i make sure the audio is being sent thro the optical cable and not the hdmi lead?

3. When the reciever is in AF.D AUTO MODE shouldnt i automatically get 5.1???

PLEASE HELP!!!!

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
mikehall99 said:
I have a sony strdh-810 av reciever. I have both the HDMI and Digital Optical cables connected from my SKY HD box into the reciever.

1. Is this the correct set up to reciece DD5.1?

2. How do i make sure the audio is being sent thro the optical cable and not the hdmi lead?

3. When the reciever is in AF.D AUTO MODE shouldnt i automatically get 5.1???

PLEASE HELP!!!!
This is the correct hook up for DD5.1
You need to assign the input on your receiver to output through Optical cable.
Depends on what material you're watching through the Sky HD box - not everything is output in DD5.1 (most of the movie channels use it but other than that you need to mash the 'i' button on the Sky remote to get info on sound output).

A

Anonymous

I have a 99p optical cable, it has not let me down, and I think the sound is great.

Before I had a optical cable for my PS3 which cost me 10.00, but that in the sky box to check, and Could not hear a difference, to me anyway, so for me, 99p all the way .

b33k34

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
Sorry to resurrect an old thread......

Just got Sky for the first time and trying to connect it up to my Sony 2400ES amp. Have got the optical working on the Sky input (after a bit of frustration - needed to select the optical in using the button on the remote which I'd never used before - very odd having MOST functionality controllable via the OSD but not all of it).

Anyway, I'm very much of the 'it's digital, it's all the same - either works or doesn't' camp. The Sony manual, interestingly, suggests (on this amp) that the coax digital provides better sound than the optical (on the key to the ports on the back of the amp).

b33k34

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
Sorry to resurrect an old thread......

Just got Sky for the first time and trying to connect it up to my Sony 2400ES amp. Have got the optical working on the Sky input (after a bit of frustration - needed to select the optical in using the button on the remote which I'd never used before - very odd having MOST functionality controllable via the OSD but not all of it).

Anyway, I'm very much of the 'it's digital, it's all the same - either works or doesn't' camp. The Sony manual, interestingly, suggests (on this amp) that the coax digital provides better sound than the optical (on the key to the ports on the back of the amp).

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
My 'feeling' (and nowt else) is that optical has an additional conversion circuit. ie.digital to opt & opt to digital. This can not be better surely? I'm happy with digital tho the box now outputs 5.1 thru hdmi. No point to change unless Sky transmit HD formats.one day

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts