Sky HD and YSP-600 surround sound?

paul_furlong

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi I'm looking for some help to get the most out my budget home cinema systems sound!

I currently have a DMP-BD35EB, a YSP600 soundbar and a Tosh 32AV505 with Sky+HD.

My question is about getting the best decoded sound from the two sources! I heard that Sky HD does not send out the Dolby or DTS surround sound (or decode I think is the term) via the HDMI - so what can I do to get that signal?

I currently connect both the BluRay and SkyHD via HDMI to the YSP600, and then via HDMI to the Tosh. If I wanted better sound, should I keep these connected as they are and put an optical cable between the Sky HD and YSP 600? and something simlar for the BluRay?

Or am I thinking completely wrong!? Any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks!

Paul

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes, optical cable in addition for Sky+HD. That keeps the source switching simple, within the soundbar.

No need for extra cable on the BD player, as that sends full-fat sound via HDMI.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
yep you're fine as you are but you def need the optical cable for dolby digital and need to turn the option on in the settings menu

You could also add a sub to the sound bar which will add new depths to your sound

paul_furlong

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
That's great, thanks to you both! I have had the system for about a year, and though something was not quite right with SkyHD sound compared with BD sound.

Does the YSP Decode the sound then - or does the Sky do it, but only send it via optical rather than HDMI. If so - isn't that a bit dumb!?

Also, are all optical cables the same quality - or should I get a certain make?

Thanks again,

Paul

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
yeah its a bit dumb but when the hdmi amps fist appeared they would only take picture over hdmi so you needed the optical as well and guess they have just never changed it - was rumours that it could be changed with a firmware update but nothing yet.

not getting into a cable debate but there are some good options for about £25 quid rather than the really cheap ones off ebay

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
paul_furlong@sky.com:Does the YSP Decode the sound then - or does the Sky do it, but only send it via optical rather than HDMI. If so - isn't that a bit dumb!?

Sky sends the DD5.1 when available, stereo when not, over the optical, and the Yamaha decodes/converts it.

paul_furlong

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
I know what you mean about a cable debate! I did get new some new HDMI cables (can't remember the make now) and a mains conditioner - but I think my system is so low end it doesn't make that much difference!

Still, I am happy to think that the sound was a little better from the BDP - who knows!?

Any cable makes I should look out for?

When I look on google, all I get is Belkin, Lindy and TOSlink?!

Paul

paul_furlong

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for explaining Andrew. That really helps
emotion-21.gif

But, if I have the skyHD to YSP via HDMI and Optical is that not two sound signals hitting the YSP at once, as I already get sound through the YSP via the HDMI only (but obviously not DD/DTS)?

Sorry to keep asking random Q's!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts