Sitting an amplifier on its side?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, was rearranging my room and was just wondering if sitting a amplifier on its side could possibly damage it or reduce sound quality? Thanks for any help.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Wouldn't if i were you. The cooling of the amp is designed to work by convection with the amp in its usual orientation, and you could get overheating, cutting out and early failure.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
It might mess up airflow and ventilation (especially if it has side vents.)

Amps have their ventilation designed on the assumption they will be used the right way up on a flat hard surface and with nothing on top of them.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
It all depends on whether the heat has anywhere to escape efficiently. An amp is designed so that heat can rise up out of it. If it's on it's side, the casing may not have any facilities for this to happen at the side, plus, heat from one side of the amp (bottom) will be passing up past the rest of the circuitry, heating it more so.

The quality won't be affected. You could try it, but check to see if the amp gets hotter than normal at the top (side). If it does, I'd not recommend it.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
And he was typing with one finger while talking on the phone at the time...
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the fast reply's guys, It has 2 large vents on the bottom and top so heat can still get out there, also has a small heat vent on the side (that will be the top when i flip it), Will try it and look out for it getting hot, again thanks for all the replies.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Roachie:Thanks for all the fast reply's guys, It has 2 large vents on the bottom and top so heat can still get out there, also has a small heat vent on the side (that will be the top when i flip it), Will try it and look out for it getting hot, again thanks for all the replies.

Please note Dave's point about heat from some components running over the others rather than convecting away vertically through the top panel vents.

I also have a feeling that you are doing this because of lack of space, which sort of implies it is going into a small gap restricting airflow even further. (If there was a big gap there would be no problem positioning it normally.)

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Roachie:Thanks for all the fast reply's guys, It has 2 large vents on the bottom and top so heat can still get out there, also has a small heat vent on the side (that will be the top when i flip it), Will try it and look out for it getting hot, again thanks for all the replies.

All that being the case, I wouldn't risk it.

A

Anonymous

if you have to put it on its side, take the top cover off

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:Wouldn't if i were you. The cooling of the amp is designed to work by convection with the amp in its usual orientation, and you could get overheating, cutting out and early failure.

I keep telling my teen daughter this but she won't get up in the mornings any earlier.

idc

Will it even stay upright? My Rega Mira would have toppled back over due to the weight of the heatsinks. I would also say that stability and vibration will be a negative for this plan. Products tend to be designed specifically to be able to be placed on their side and provided with support, such as the DacMagic and Linn Sneaky.

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:The cooling of the amp is designed to work by convection with the amp in its usual orientation...

Andrew

You have the most wonderful way with words ! - that's almost poetic!
emotion-2.gif

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
roger06:
Andrew Everard:The cooling of the amp is designed to work by convection with the amp in its usual orientation...

Andrew

You have the most wonderful way with words ! - that's almost poetic!
emotion-2.gif

?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts