Siting CD player and TT on sideboard?

Miker

Jul 26, 2007
Visit site
I am assuming that it is not "a good thing" to do so, although it would cut down the speaker cable run by a few yards. Are there any mats or wall brackets that could be placed close to the surface of the G Plan sideboard which would be acceptable? I take it that the Cyrus amp equipment can be placed direct onto the sideboard as there would be no moving parts, I am also thinking about a Cyrus wall unit for the amps and CD which looks rather neat but that would still leave the TT.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Miker"]
I am assuming that it is not "a good thing" to do so, although it would cut down the speaker cable run by a few yards. Are there any mats or wall brackets that could be placed close to the surface of the G Plan sideboard which would be acceptable? I take it that the Cyrus amp equipment can be placed direct onto the sideboard as there would be no moving parts, I am also thinking about a Cyrus wall unit for the amps and CD which looks rather neat but that would still leave the TT.
[/quote]

If you have a solid floor and a firm sideboard, fine.

A

Anonymous

ZHR is basically correct. I've no doubt that the improvements people claim to hear for amps and cd players on "proper" stands exist, but you don't half pay a lot of money for them. If the floor is reasonably solid and the sideboard similarly so you should be fine.

Where you might get a worthwhile improvement is the turntable, but to be honest if it's a concrete floor you might even be okay there. The turntable may well not like a suspended floor at all however, regardless of the furniture underneath it - in that case it probably needs to be on a dedicated wall mount.

First stab would be to suck it and see - if it jumps every time the cat sneezes you know you've got a problem.

A

Anonymous

I agree with the above - I'm sure my stuff sounded best on a console table!

The turntable might benefit from an isolation platform or feet. I use 3 halves of squash balls and an Argos granite chopping block. The stamping on the floor and checking the woofer movement test is remarkable with it! Clare recommends some feet that are meant to be very good, but can' remember the name, but they're about £15 - same as the chopping board/squash balls route.

Bloney

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
^^^Just like they said above^^^
I have know a friend who tilt the front of cd player slightly upward with the soft balls and keep the back down!!....it sound the same to me.

Miker

Jul 26, 2007
Visit site
Thanks folk. That gives me another option. I ought to add that the sideboard is a low 4ft 6in long unit on a wooden floor on which my existing circa 1970s hifi kit stands. The sideboard seems seems solid and I am unlikely to be dancing in front of it. The next problem, which I have to solve myself, is whether my wife will object to all the proposed replacement hifi equipment being placed there. I'm thinking of a Cyrus CD8x, Prevs2 with two 6 Power amps along with the LP12 TT and phono amp.

Miker

Jul 26, 2007
Visit site
Pursuing this further, after, how shall I put it, a full and frank discussion with my wife, the only option appears to be placing the new hifi on the GPlan. However, I doubt whether my wife will be happy with all the equipment strung out in a line on top of the sideboard. What I am wondering is whether I could put the 4 amps in the sideboard. There would be sufficient space but would I have problems with heat dissipation? If necessary, I could leave the front sliding door of the sideboard open.

Another question is does the kit come with interconnect leads? If not, I would welcome recommendations on suitable leads and the cost.

A

Anonymous

I have my hi -fi in a Victorian commode...with the origianal seat and bowl removed, of course! !

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts