Site is slow again.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

tounra

Sep 25, 2007
Visit site
Not mentioned in this thread yet (or maybe I am blind) is the difference between being logged-in or not logged-in on this site. When I am logged-in the browsing gets painfully slow, it stays slow untill I sign out again. (So re-visiting the site when quiting, but without loggin out doesn't make a difference, it gets normal (speedy) again only when I log out)

So apparantly it has something to do with the cookies that are written by this site.

Oh, almost forgot, I'm using OSX Mountain Lion, it doesn't matter which browser I use.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
tounra said:
Not mentioned in this thread yet (or maybe I am blind) is the difference between being logged-in or not logged-in on this site. When I am logged-in the browsing gets painfully slow, it stays slow untill I sign out again. (So re-visiting the site when quiting, but without loggin out doesn't make a difference, it gets normal (speedy) again only when I log out)

So apparantly it has something to do with the cookies that are written by this site.

Oh, almost forgot, I'm using OSX Mountain Lion, it doesn't matter which browser I use.

Yes, it has been noticed, not least by those of us who have to spend most of our lives logged-in to the site. As yet, haven't really got a sensible explanation from anyone as to why this should be so, but I'm told some work will be done later this week in an effort to speed things up.

All I can do is apologise, again, for this slowness, and thank you for your perseverance.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard said:
tounra said:

Yes, it has been noticed, not least by those of us who have to spend most of our lives logged-in to the site. As yet, haven't really got a sensible explanation from anyone as to why this should be so, but I'm told some work will be done later this week in an effort to speed things up.

All I can do is apologise, again, for this slowness, and thank you for your perseverance.

Is this not a bit of a worry Mr Everard ? Particularly as your magazinse seems determined to become "What Tablet & Smart Phone", you would think that you employed people who knew about websites.....

A

Anonymous

woodster said:
cloverleaf146 said:
Not just this weekend, site is always so slooooooooooooowww to load up pages. I get a reliable 30mb and have no problem with anyother sites.

Maybe some Leftie pinko are tampering with your connection, or maybe Mr Campbell is too blame here also!

I blame Ed Balls :p

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
cloverleaf146 said:
Is this not a bit of a worry Mr Everard ? Particularly as your magazinse seems determined to become "What Tablet & Smart Phone", you would think that you employed people who knew about websites.....

I understand the point you're trying to make, but no, it's remaining What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision.

As I said, we don't actually build the website ourselves, and are reliant on others to do it for us. These people are employed by the company, not directly by the editorial staff of WHFSV.

Yes, it is a major worry. But not for the reasons you suggest.

As I have previously said, I apologise on behalf of the magazine for the slowness and other problems, but alas am, at the moment, powerless to resolve the situation.

And it's Andrew, by the way – no need to stand on formality! ;)

tounra

Sep 25, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:

No need for apologies, I was just posting my findings and looking at the amount of posts this site gets in a day most forum-users obviously take this slowness for granted.
smiley-smile.gif

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Around 1455 hours today, I tried to move from page 7 to page 8 of the enthralling conversation about how big a RICHARD The_LHC is. It took long enough for me to go out and make a pot of tea. Although it did load before I had time to pour and get some of my wife's delicious home baked Eccles cakes.

John Duncan

relocated said:
Around 1455 hours today, I tried to move from page 7 to page 8 of the enthralling conversation about how big a RICHARD The_LHC is. It took long enough for me to go out and make a pot of tea. Although it did load before I had time to pour and get some of my wife's delicious home baked Eccles cakes.

I know who I'd rather go for a pint with...

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
relocated said:

Is it Maxflinn?

John Duncan

The_Lhc said:
John Duncan said:
relocated said:

Is it Maxflinn?

(tosses coin)

RodhasGibson

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
John Duncan said:
relocated said:

Is it Maxflinn?
Now that is :rofl: :rofl:

RodhasGibson

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
The_Lhc said:
John Duncan said:
relocated said:

Is it Maxflinn?

(tosses coin)
JD :grin: I needed that,Keep em coming ;)

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
John Duncan said:
relocated said:

Is it Maxflinn?

:clap: :rofl:

AmigaNut

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
I think the forum owners need to pop a 50 Pence in the leccy meter.

Unless they are running on 14Kbps modems.

This slow speed is getting rediculous.

Might have to migrate to the Vinyl Engine forums.

AmigaNut

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
As we said, this will take several days. And we have identified a secondary problem specifically with anyone on Virgin Media (which includes me :) ) which causes the site to slow down. We're in touch with Virgin trying to resolve the problem.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts