Site is slow again.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I have just tested my broadband speed between here and London and here to the USA as well. 19.6 Mbps and 20.13 Mbps respectively.

Repeated page refreshes on flickr (lots of data in the form of photos) are very quick.

BBC iPlayer (HD) works fine as usual.

What Hi-fi? forum ground to a halt (again). Wait 5 minutes and might get lucky for a minute or two before it freezes.

This has become the norm lately. (Although the Christmas and New Year period were ok.)

Does anyone else experience this regularly? Are the staff aware of problems?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I find at times, pages take a long time to appear.....but never know whether it's at my end......but don't think it is, as everything else is reasonably fast.

It's all right atm though, but was slow this morning.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
BigH said:
Also on post titles why don't you limit to 64 characters so when you try to reply you don't get warnings all the time?

No idea on that one: it appears to be a site glitch which no-one with pens in their top pockets seems to be able to resolve.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
BigH said:
Also on post titles why don't you limit to 64 characters so when you try to reply you don't get warnings all the time?

No idea on that one: it appears to be a site glitch which no-one with pens in their top pockets seems to be able to resolve.

Can't they just make the title space shorter?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
BigH said:
Can't they just make the title space shorter?

You'd think, wouldn't you?
smiley-wink.gif

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I find at times, pages take a long time to appear.....but never know whether it's at my end......but don't think it is, as everything else is reasonably fast.

It's all right atm though, but was slow this morning.

Spoke too soon. Now slow and clunky, with "Site offline" appearing all too regularly.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Not too bad at the moment and my speeds are pretty good for Broadband around 19mb which is pretty good for this area but WhatHiFi site is the slowest I go into on a regular basis. It is frustrating when you try to post some comments and you lose them all. Other sites like Flickr are much faster and don't seem to have these problems.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
I too find word verification annoying tho it seems to occur many times but for short periods. Wonder what the 'rules' are. Slow too sometimes but I always attributed it to my end. Cheers

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Taking ages and ages here. If WHF was the only place I ever visited I'd swear I was still connected via an acoustic-coupler modem, not broadband.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I've never yet understood how the billion-and-one amateur websites and vBulletin / phpBB forums out there manage to be faster, are more stable, and get by with less ads that this one, which is affiliated to a professional magazine and a respected publisher. Is it because some dodgy contract is squeezing you til your eyeballs pop but behind the scenes it's running your website on a couple of ZX Spectrums and a batch of microdrives...

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
I find that the site is often paifully slow, particularly in the forums when looking at multi-page threads. Sometimes multiple refreshes are needed.

However, this only really occurs in Google Chrome, Firefox seems totally fine!

If any of the folks above who are having issues are using Chrome, try a different browser- it could just be one of those little internet idiosyncracies...

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
My access to the Forum is more or less hopeless today and it has been really poor since the recent meltdown.

Access to other parts of the site are better than to the forum. I run Chrome but have nil problems with other sites and a forum, line speed @5mbps.

SpiceWeasel

Apr 10, 2008
Visit site
I have found the site to be really slow since about xmas time, although some days it does appear to work as it should. It took about 40 seconds to open a thread a bit earlier on with the usuall "waiting for whathifi.com" showing at the bottom of my browser. I am using firefox via a 60mb connection and other websites etc are fine, just done a speed test and have just over 54mb download with about 5mb upload.

Pc is fully updated with anti virus and malware scans etc all done. Other websites all work as normal so don't think it is a problem at my end. Some days the speed of the site can vary quite a bit with one thread taking say 20 seconds to load up and then the next thread almost instantly, then back to 30 second wait etc.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts