Simple streaming solution PLS PLS PLS

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Im sure some one can provide links or some advice so I can stream music from either laptop (windows 7) connected wirelessly to my home network and also my iPhone 4 on same network. My av amp is pre HDMI and not network compatible. My CA650bd is wired to the network.

Will I need QED uPlay? And a dongle for laptop if so maybe some links?

Apple airplay?

Airfoil?

I have no idea, at moment I use RCA into av and 30pin from iPhone/iPod video 5th gen.

I have £120 ish to play with.

Please help me

Darrell

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Assuming you have a wireless network at home, and your AV amp has a digital optical (Toslink) input, and you have iTunes on your PC, then what you are seeking could be achieved with something like Apple TV or Apple Airport Express in combination with Air Play. Either way I think you are looking at spending around £80 to £99. I'm hoping someone with more Apple savvy than myself can answer this question more fully for you and explain how combinations of streaming direct from your phone to the Apple TV/Express, or from PC iTunes to the ATV/AE, or even using the Phone to control the PC iTunes to ATV/AE.

PS The QED uPlay is for Bluetooth streaming as opposed to Wi Fi streaming over your wireless network. That could also work.

John Duncan

The cheapest way is to buy Twonky and have your 650BD connect to it. UI is...prosaic.

The simplest way is to get an airport express and connect it to the network. You can then stream from iTunes on your PC (or anything you like using Airfoil) or directly from your iPHone.

The most functional is probably a squeezebox touch. There are some voucher codes floating around recently which could take the price down to just over budget, will dig out.

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
lazar1980 said:
Hi,

might not do everything you want but THIS is really worth checking, especially at this price.

Regards
So that looks good, it didn't explain how the screen connects to my av amp?? Maybe RCA into amp with a wireless thingy for the screen to command to?? It's a great price but is it complex a little too much for a simple need?

Very quick response so thanks very much fella

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
So many replies!! Wow, just going to make a cuppa and read you're replies From all and do some Internet digging.

I really don't think I'm asking much to be able to sit on couch and play tracks from iPhone over my sig system or when lapto switched on do the same.

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
John Duncan said:
The simplest way is to get an airport express and connect it to the network. You can then stream from iTunes on your PC (or anything you like using Airfoil) or directly from your iPHone.

so i buy the Apple airport express, i plug it into the wall plug socket?, a cable into my Router,then a cable to my av amp?,RCA,Digital? and thats it?

Or is it more complicated?

sorry for being a numpty

regards

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
sta99y said:
John Duncan said:

so i buy the Apple airport express, i plug it into the wall plug socket?, a cable into my Router,then a cable to my av amp?,RCA,Digital? and thats it?

Or is it more complicated?

sorry for being a numpty

regards

That's it. the Airport Express has a combined 3.5mm jack socket which can support either analogue or (optical) digital. Best quality is probably achieved by using an optical cable to your AV amp, either one with a 3.5mm plug on one end, or a normal one with a 3.5mm adaptor (which is bundled with many when you buy).

John Duncan

Just as an aside, if you use windows media player, you can set it up as a DLNA server by turning on media sharing , and use the 650 as a client. This would let you try it out without spending any money...

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
I picked up a WD Live TV recently for around £80. It will play from any DLNA source (Windows media, etc), network share or usb disk.

I can also "push" music and video to it from my Android phone with "Skifta". I don't know if that's available on iPhone though.

Either way, it works well.

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all you're replies, I have used xbmc in the past along with the said laptop but sooo slow etc... Got so annoyed I gave up. Windows media I have but all music in iTunes which I'm used to, don't love it but I know my around it.

I think I will get Apple airport plug in the wall and use the digital connection from it into my amp and then stream from iTunes laptop and iPhone 4, did someone say airfoil? or is it now called something different? is it an APP or a program?

Cheers

John Duncan

Airfoil allows you to stream any audio from a PC or Mac, not just iTunes:

www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/

Cheap and effective.

Do consider an apple tv instead of an airport express if you can cope with digital only out and think you might use the video functionality.

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
John Duncan said:
Airfoil allows you to stream any audio from a PC or Mac, not just iTunes: www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/ Cheap and effective. Do consider an apple tv instead of an airport express if you can cope with digital only out and think you might use the video functionality.

So appleTV is the little black box of tricks.

Will it fit into my already wireless network? Can it be wired into my router as everything is in one huge oak side board?

Can I stream iTunes and iPhone to it once it's connected via toslink to my amp?

If yes John I will order one now!!

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Well I invested in 2 month old Apple tv2, remote, power etc... On the latest software.

£62.50. Me thinks I got a good deal.

DJEPSON

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
I am just starting to go down the streaming solution mainly for my iTunes music, I have just bought a NAS drive and was looking at either a Sonos or Squeezebox, both are quite expensive so is Apple TV an alternative option for me ?

DJEPSON

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
just been researching this and read that in order for Apple TV to work you need to have your Macbook turned on which sort of defeats the point in having my NAS hold my my music, is there anyway around this /

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

I spent late last night setting my apple tv up after work and I must say it does do what I expected of it.

So thanks to all for you're input.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts