Dac / Pre alternative to streaming

mond

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

I have had it with streaming - it's just not for me, there is nothing wrong with it as such, just if you have network issues like I always seem to then it involves lots of frustration with the signal dropping in and out the whole time etc.

When my streamer worked well, which to be honest was most of the time it sounded great and I love the convenience of operating it from my armchair via my laptop. However after recently moving to a more rural spot I am having nothing but trouble with the signal, and it has become almost impossible to listen to anything without it cutting out halfway through. I am using a TP link to run cables to my room (Linn DS need to be hard wired) and using a Powerline adapter to boost signal.......but all to no avail.

So I am now looking for a DAC that I can use via USB instead of messing about with networks. It must have a pre amp included so I can connect straight to my power amp. I am currently using a Linn Sneaky as source / pre connected to a Linn 2250 power amp (upgraded with the Dynamik power supply).

The top of my budget would be the Naim Dac V1 but would happily spend a bit less if possible. I have researched a bit on line and have seen good reviews about the Audiolab M-Dac but was wondering if anyone had any other ideas of a good usb dac that will partner with a Linn amp for £1000 ish (I will use the sale of the sneaky to part fund the new purchase.

Soundwise I would like if possible something that has all the detail of the sneaky but with a bit more weight and warmth - maybe even something with an analogue pre stage to make for a smoother sound. Music tastes are varied but include Folk, Electronica, Jazz, classical and some rock and pop. Nice bass would be a real bonus.

thanks

Mond

Chris Firth

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
I install data network infrastructure, so I'm intrigued by some of your comments.

What do you mean by signal?

Are you commenting on broadband connection speed, or are you referring to the strength and range of your wifi signal from your router?

Where does the TP Link come into the equation, and what device is it specifically? Is the TP Link a wireless bridge?

Where do the powerline adapters come into play?

Sort the network issues out and your system dependability returns.

I live in Rossendale, Lancashire, so I'd be happy to pop out and look at things for you if you're relatively local.

mond

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys,
Thanks for comments, problem is my rooms are in a separate part of the house, a long way from the router (and I am lodger so can't mess too much with router etc)
The TP link is connected to router one end and my Sneaky at the other, it uses the internal wiring within the walls to the best of my knowledge, the Powerline adapter boosts the signal so I can get half decent WiFi in room. Not sure what else I can do. Thanks for the kind offer of visit but I live in Somerset. By signal dropping out I mean the music can cut in and out constantly. I appreciate it's a network issue, but not sure what can be done about it....
That's why I thought a DAC may be more reliable, just means having a cable running from it to lap top. Would love to sort network issues.....
Cheers
Mond

mond

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Flac files stored on hard drive, and stream Internet radio, the radio does work a bit better than the stored files ,in fact last night I managed a couple of hours of radio without too many hitches but struggling to play the stored files

Chris Firth

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
The FLAC files require a fair bit more bandwidth than even a high bitrate radio stream.

You could set up a network just for playing the FLAC files through the DS - you'd need a router, which you could pick up for around 40 quid.

You wouldn't plug the router into a telephone line to access the internet but the router would perform one of its main functions of providing network addresses to the various bits of hardware connected to it, so your HDD hooked up to your computer and connected to the standalone router would be able to see the DS happily, and wouldn't have to shovel data down and back over a slow network connection (ie the powerline adapters), which in turn means that your FLAC files should play properly.

You'd get used to switching things around in no time.

mond

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Chris, I might give this a go, when I said hard drive, I just meant the one in my lap top, which although getting quite full has done me for storage thus far, although I may need to expand to a NAS or external drive soon. Do you mean the pc would need to be connected with a physical cable to the router, and then another cable from router to DS player? (Sneaky)...... this could work.... and would save me buying any new boxes (for now) :)

Mond

p.s thanks for the DAC suggestions above, I don't think they would be suitable though as I don't think they have there own volume control or pre amp (to the best of my knowledge).

thanks

Mond

Chris Firth

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
mond said:
Do you mean the pc would need to be connected with a physical cable to the router, and then another cable from router to DS player? (Sneaky)...... this could work.... and would save me buying any new boxes (for now) :)

That's exactly what I mean *good*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts