SIMPLE QUESTION. The Rega Dac. How to connect ?

ignaceII

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
Hello everybody,

This is my first contribution and ask for help as beginner in the high end hifi world.

I bought the range of Rega, Elicit-R, Apollo, DAC R, RP1. Speakers Gato PM-6.

This question is about the DAC.

It has multiple inputs and outputs.

Question. I want to connect my macbook with a toslink out connection to the DAC.

So I plugged it in the optical in 1, as same toslink. Do not know if any spdif convertor is needed here. I suppose not.

Toslink to Toslink. No ??

But then. How to get to the amplifier.

Normally one should expect to pick an optical output on the DAC and go to the Elicit-R. Only, everything is RCA on the Elicit R.

Does this mean I always need to use the RCA on the DAC. There is no Optical out to RCA cable link.

I mean, what are all the combinations on the DAC for if we use in 99% of the cases RCA on the amp.

Or is this only intended for an external other optical device, I do not know what.

Anyway, my first experiment gave nothing.

So there are errors in this story, on the input side, but RCA to RCA could not go wrong.

Perhaps the USB route is better; But I want to walk first the optical way into my amp.

The user guide is too thin on real practical cases. The whole internet does not contain a simple tutorial on how to use a mac the best way with the rega DAC up to the Rega amp.

Thanks for all your advise.

Ignace

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
1. From the computer to the DAC using a toslink cable plugged into the DAC's optical digital input.

2. From DAC's analogue output to the amplifier using an RCA cable.

...and welcome to the forum. :)

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
I'd use USB from computer to DAC, and then RCA analogue from DAC to amp, but the OP's problem could be that it's not unknown for the combined miniToslink/stereo analogue 3.5mm socket on MacBooks to be a bit flaky.

ignaceII

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for this early response.

Any clue as to what those optical and coaxial outputs on the DAC are intended for ?

So, If I get it right, I go mainly rca to rca to the amp ?

Can the Rega Dac for instan e also serve as headphone amplifier .

Thanks... appreciate it.

Ignace

ignaceII

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the response and the welcome.

I did what you suggest, but I get flickerin lights on the Dac between 2 khz num ers, and noise.

So, something goes wrong. Linking the mac straight to the amp using a 3.5 jack to rca cable, no problem. But this is not what we want of course. .

Trial and error .?

As tospeaker cables. Does wireworld sound any good. .?

Ignace

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Have you tried connecting the computer to the DAC using a USB cable instead of a toslink?

And if you do, ensuring that the MacBook is set to output audio via the DAC over USB. Hold down the 'alt' key on your keyboard and click the volume icon, and you'll see a list of audio output devices. Select the Rega here.

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi there. Welcome to the forums.

Not sure why there would by any Digital outputs on a DAC but hey if there is, there must be a reason.

Think about what a DAC is. Digital to Analogue converter. In theory all outputs should be analogue otherwise you won't be using it as a DAC.

I would try all the connections you can from your MACbook i.e. Toslink and USB and see which giives you a better playback. Really I guess they should be the same but you never know.

Hope that helps.

Glacialpath said:
Hi there. Welcome to the forums.

Not sure why there would by any Digital outputs on a DAC but hey if there is, there must be a reason.

Think about what a DAC is. Digital to Analogue converter. In theory all outputs should be analogue otherwise you won't be using it as a DAC.

I would try all the connections you can from your MACbook i.e. Toslink and USB and see which giives you a better playback. Really I guess they should be the same but you never know.

Hope that helps.

Indeed the DAC, having done its job, passes an analogue signal to your amp via RCA interconnect.

The digital outputs are there to utilise, after "cleaning-up and re-clocking", to then pass that signal on to auxilliary equipment (an AV amp perhaps).

ignaceII

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
Gosh, Thanks for all the responses. I cannot test the USB yet cause I need a simple USB tot USB cable.

Yes, poor guy, I have got tens of USB to device-connectors for loading up by connecting one end to a tablet or smartphone, or... but god no USB to USB. Of course I would long have tested that.

I tried once again the toslink, not even a single noise coming out.

Lots of music is stored as flacs on external drives, so I need the Mac to play them over the DAC.

Will try though, Thanks again.

I will react to the point where those output digital ports are of no need, which I do not yet understand.

Ignace

ignaceII

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
Yes, more or less. Even bought a minidisc last year. Remember.

Never had those machines.

So these digital outputs are for vintage machines or other AV-digital machines. Quite extraordinary these outputs, even coaxial, for the sole sake of exotic machines.

As an ex ITer I still wonder there must be other means for these ports...

To be continued. I will write Rega.:)

Thank you.

Ignace

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Also worth checking whether your MacBook has a combined optical/headphone socket, or just a headphone socket - not all MacBooks have the optical output built into that socket. I'm sure you can type in your serial number on an Apple site and it will tell you, but the simple way is just to unplug the optical cable from the DAC while it is connected to the MacBook and supposedly sending music, and check whether there's a red light coming through the cable.

If there is, the fault is in the MacBook set-up or that of the DAC; if there isn't, you either don't have an optical out on that socket or it's turned off.

ignaceII

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
I tried the USB solution and yes, this worked optimal.

Is USB then the only way, for such a wealth of in- and outputs.

But USB is qualitative perhaps better than all the rest.

Ok. Made it work.

i suppose the Apollo cd also passes over the USB...

For cables I will need a new post I think.

Bye now. Thanks guys.

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
As spiny norman says it may just be a case of activating the Toslink port on your macbook. Are you even sure it is an output?

I would try sending a digital signal to that port as it might come up with "Connection Made to Port ???" That's what you get on PCs so I'm sure there is an equivalent for Apple.

No need to start a new thread regarding cables. You will likely start another cable war.....I mean debate....if you do.

Just carry on here with your questions.

ignaceII

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Seems a wile. Question. I have two hifi setups, one with NADS one with the REGA.

Both are preamped. I connect the DAC RCA to the Tuner socket of the AMPs. Both setups work great.

Now. The Nad c375bee is a big one, so I wish to try him standalone. So I went from the DAC straight to the Tuner socket of the AMP, skipping and deconnecting the preamp. DOES NOT work ?

Have not tried the Rega. But what else can I do to simply connect a DAC to an AMP. Choose a RCA, like on the preamp.

Apparently this is not the case. There are rear images when googling the c375bee, if you need to see the socket setup.

I want to test the sound as an integrated amp, compared to the same with an extra preamp like now with the old 1020.

There are metalic jumpers to set. Where, on the preouts of the amp. What is their function really ? I read you can buy nore expensive jumper cables to enhance sound. But on which socket ?

Thanks.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I use a standard USB cable to connect my MacBook Pro to my Rega DAC

I use a Mark Grant coaxial cable to connect my Apollo R to my Rega DAC

Best results are playing CDs

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts