Significant improvements; PMC speaker upgrade

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello,

I have a Primare I30 and matching CD31 and I am using Russ Andrews Classic Powerkords to both with a Crystal H interconnect and Qed Silver Spiral speaker cable and a pair of Monitor Audio RS8’s. I am looking for significant improvements to my system and I think the best way to do this is to improve my speakers. I seem to be quite set on getting a pair of PMC speakers and I definitely want a pair of floor standing speakers of similar size to the RS8’s with an improved sound quality across the board.

I mainly listen to bands like Bon Jovi and Bryan Adams, but also I am a big fan of Iron Maiden and Guns N Roses, at the other end of the scale I listen to Enrique Iglesias and Ronan Keating and more recently I have been enjoying female vocalists such as Celine Dion.

My room is roughly 379cm x 320cm and 250cm high with an alcove on one of the walls which is 37cm deep and ruins room acoustics. I am aware that my current speakers are ideally a bit big for the dimensions of the room and I do have problems with bass. Initially I was looking at PMC Fb1i’s and most favourably a pair of Ob1i’s (second hand), the only problem is that from what I have heard both models have powerful bass and may be overkill in my room. Therefore I have also been looking at the smaller Gb1i’s and from what I have read it may be better spending less to gain more in this case.

Any advice on the PMC speakers and what may suite my system would be very much appreciated.

A

Anonymous

I'd do some auditioning before I settled on a brand.

SonofSun

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I would not recommend you go for anything bigger than the GB1i's, as my room is a little bigger than yours and there is plenty of bass. I would certainly suggest a home demo if possible when you are spending that kind of money. Imo, primare and pmc are a great combo and you shouldn't go far wrong.

A

Anonymous

Strechabusa.

You will see from my sig. that I have gone through a similar process of choosing an amp/speaker combination as you are no doubt about to do.

There is no doubt that Primare and PMC are a very good combination which I can thoroughly recommend. I did demo the FB1 and was not impressed with the overall sound. I thought it was a bit thin and didn't do justice to the Primare amp. The OB1 however was excellent in all aspects and after 12 months of listening to this combination I am very pleased with my choice.

My listening room is similar to yours (4mx3mx2m) although no alcove .The speakers are on granite plinths and I have used the spikes as well. There is plenty of bass but fully controlled so it never takes over the sound or becomes boomy, and the mid and treble are well balanced. I do not play heavy rock but have a couple of demo CDs with massive bass (drums) and these are reproduced superbly, really showing what these speakers are capable of!

However before you invest in new speakers I would suggest you try and improve the sound of your existing speakers which are excellent.

It does seem to me that the room acoustics are your problem and for a bit of time and appropriate sound insulaton you should be able to get a good balanced system for much less money.

Well worth a try before you spend big money!. Hope this helps.

A

Anonymous

Thank you for the advice so far. Oakman you are right that I need to spend some time on room acoustics, I will be having the room redecorated next year and I should be able to improve things.

However even if I do improve room acoustics and the bass is less troublesome, I'm sure I will still want to get more potential from my Primare equipment. I'm still confused as to which models I should start by auditioning as I have had recommendations for each of the models I have listed. I emailed PMC with the same question and they told me to look at the FB1i signature and I am awaiting further information from them.

I'm just worried about trying one of the smaller models and thinking I could handle more bass and then try a more expensive model and find that there is too much bass but to also find that the rest of the presentation is better from a more sophisticated speaker like the OB1i and then confuse me more....I guess there's not much I can do about that though.

A

Anonymous

From my experience with the I30 it is a very capable amp and is able to handle quality speakers with ease.

I wouldnt get too hung up with what you may be hearing about ' PMC bass'. With a good amp providing enough power to drive them, the bass will be controlled and tight which is what you are aiming for. I dont think PMC are any more bassy than other speakers with the right amp./speaker combination.

Certainly the OB1 will do all you want and more, as well as get the most out of your amplifier.

Can't comment on your room acoustics but which ever way you go, you must have a home demo as this appears to be the main influencing factor.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts