Sign me up for the Musical Fidelity fanclub

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

idc

Vinny7:

....... So instead of distortion adding to the sound characteristics, Something else is.

Which im sure is to do with the components that make the Power Amplifier. Capacitors or whatever the technical bits are
emotion-2.gif

With reference to my last post and 'do all amplifiers sound the same', I think that the answer to your question is, the rest of the kit needed to produce the final sound and its synergy.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Vinny7:Absolutely Andrew - I think thats the beauty about some of the high end kit from manufacturers - the passion leads to some beautifully musical systems. And each one is slightly different.

It's a bit like saying you could build a perfect piano or violin, using measuring equipment. But we'd be the poorer without the difference between a Steinway, a Bosendorfer and a Bluthner, or indeed a Kawai and a Yahama concert grand.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
Indeed: any company able to make something as mad as this gets my vote...

liminal.jpg

A cross between an anvil, a toilet and piano...I neever would have thought of that one. Oh hang, is there some BBQ in there too...

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
So my B200 has really shone since i bought it last week. It makes my Rega Mira 3 sound bland and dull. I guess they are two totally different amps though. I think i have found the "sound" im most at home with in the B200. Its warm, musical and involving. Its not as precise or analytical as the Rega but its better for it in my ears. Combined with the Rega Apollo cd player its wonderful - the Apollo brings the timing, dynamics and marvellous midrange performance. As some of you may know i recently bought some Neutron 5 speakers - well these are perfect for my system. Looking at my system now, who would have thought of this combination ? An amp from yesteryear, a new cd player and a pair of speakers that despite being one of the best at their price/size receive next to no coverage in the media. I havent heard any of the newest Musical Fidelity gear, but all i can say is try out some of the older kit if you get the chance, a great price second hand and an amazing sound.

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Not sure how I missed out on the thread, being an avid fan of MF myself. Been using my set up since 1999/2000 and has never ever thought of changing the amplification side of my set up. I only change my CDP and speakers. I can only keep on breeding my MF set up, latest is the X CANS V2, after rather a good discussion with idc (thanks for that mate!). Should be arriving on my doorstep sometime next week. Managed to get one from ebay.

Never done any mods on my set up except changing the LED on my X-A1 hahaha. Didnt like the red LED, hence changed it to green. One of my XA-50 also blew in 2007. Got it repaired here in Malaysia.

Overall, to me, MF represents good British engineering and it is definitely affordable. I do get enough clarity for my jazz/R&B/latino music and also punchy bass for my metal/rock songs.

A

Anonymous

my next amp upgrade will most likely be a used Musical Fidelity A5 ... for £700-£800, don't think there is much to touch it ...

had the pleasure of connecting one to my system for 1/2 a day ...

Escapism

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
dim_span:

my next amp upgrade will most likely be a used Musical Fidelity A5 ... for £700-£800, don't think there is much to touch it ...

had the pleasure of connecting one to my system for 1/2 a day ...

EDITED BY MODS - not banned, but warned. Why, if you understand the House Rules, break them in such a knowing fashion?

idc

El Hefe:

..... I can only keep on breeding my MF set up, latest is the X CANS V2, after rather a good discussion with idc (thanks for that mate!).........

You are welcome! My amp is the last, if ever piece of kit I will change.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts