Shure viii with sas jico stylus

Fergus

Feb 21, 2023
Visit site
Probably not, depends on how much you want to spend to replace that cartridge and whether you want to buy a phono preamp if you don't already have one...
what's the rest of your set-up?
Ifi preamp dual 701 turntable audiolab 8000s and celestion ditton 66 speakers

Ifi preamp dual 701 turntable audiolab 8000s and celestion ditton 66 speakers
Aeons ago I had the belt-drive equivalent, the CS-601 by Dual. They came fitted with Shure V15/iii which was daring for an automatic turntable. I tried various alternatives over a decade, including ADC XLM and a Satin high-output MC. The Shure was perfect tracking but maybe had a slightly bleached quality compared with some.

If the arm is still perfect - e.g. no sticky bearings - then almost anything within reason will work. Whether the cost of a low-output MC with step-up is really worth it, I’d hesitate. For a different ‘flavour’ you might like an Audio-Technica or Ortofon, or a Nagaoka or Goldring. My last refit was the Goldring 1006, and it has 1012, 1022, and 1042 versions. Surprisingly good, imo, and not too spendy.

Reactions: Fergus and Al ears

SteveR750

Aeons ago I had the belt-drive equivalent, the CS-601 by Dual. They came fitted with Shure V15/iii which was daring for an automatic turntable. I tried various alternatives over a decade, including ADC XLM and a Satin high-output MC. The Shure was perfect tracking but maybe had a slightly bleached quality compared with some.

If the arm is still perfect - e.g. no sticky bearings - then almost anything within reason will work. Whether the cost of a low-output MC with step-up is really worth it, I’d hesitate. For a different ‘flavour’ you might like an Audio-Technica or Ortofon, or a Nagaoka or Goldring. My last refit was the Goldring 1006, and it has 1012, 1022, and 1042 versions. Surprisingly good, imo, and not too spendy.

I've owned both, in particular the satin MC on a Garrard GT255 on which I had to add some extra plasticine to the counter weight as it was so heavy! Sounded good though!

TRENDING THREADS