angelmf2704

Nov 15, 2020
Visit site
Hello, I'm would like to buy a new pair of headphones. My actual headphones are the Sony's WH-1000XM3. I only use them for travelling or noisy environments. Recently I bought the Audio Technica M20X to try a different sound signature. I didn't enjoyed the sound a lot if I'm honest. Since they are for professionals, maybe they are not that great for regular consumers. Right now, I have some headphones in mind, Sennheiser's and Philip's. The pricing is different, but my limit is 150 dollars right now. I'm open to new suggestions if you think there are better options for the same price. I listen a lot rock and some jazz as well with female voices. I've been trying to find headphones to play simracing games, the AT 20X didn't work great (gaming would be a nice extra). So, I would list some of my requirements.

- Easy to find online
-Open back design
-Decent bass, not overwhelming
-Nice trebble, not piercing
-Great midrange, especially for female voices
-Comfortable listen for 1-2 hours
-Big earcups
-3.5 jack cable
-Wide soundstage
-Overall, natural sound
-Easy to drive with a USB DAC, max 80 ohms

If you have of had this headphones in the past, let me know.
Thanks in advance.

MarkPf

May 23, 2021
Visit site
Can't speak for the Philip's but I have the HD599. I mainly bought it for the gaming soundstage but it is great for music as well. This was my first what I would call high end headset and am extremely happy I bought them.

angelmf2704

Nov 15, 2020
Visit site
Can't speak for the Philip's but I have the HD599. I mainly bought it for the gaming soundstage but it is great for music as well. This was my first what I would call high end headset and am extremely happy I bought them.
I'm leaning towards Sennheiser's right now. I'm trying this model tomorrow as well as some other models. Thanks

Gray

- Easy to find online
-Open back design
-Decent bass, not overwhelming
-Nice trebble, not piercing
-Great midrange, especially for female voices
-Comfortable listen for 1-2 hours
-Big earcups
-3.5 jack cable
-Wide soundstage
-Overall, natural sound
-Easy to drive with a USB DAC, max 80 ohms
I think I know a of model that would meet absolutely all 11 of your criteria above.
But you might be in America and by all accounts the AKG K271 Pro is quite a bit more expensive over there than it is here in England (even here though the price has varied between £150 and £480 so timing is everything).
If you could find it for an acceptable price (or maybe save up some more money) I would urge you to at least consider it.
(I've got some being delivered Monday).
I've had a few Sennheiser models and currently own the HD560S - which reviewers and owners generally seem to prefer over the 599.
Again, depending on price, it could be an option for you (you might be able to do what I did and get 10% off of a first order from Sennheiser Direct).
Comfort on the 560 is not too bad, I'd expect the 599 to be similar. But I've got no doubt the 271 Pro will be better.
Good luck with whatever you choose.

angelmf2704

Nov 15, 2020
Visit site
I think I know a of model that would meet absolutely all 11 of your criteria above.
But you might be in America and by all accounts the AKG K271 Pro is quite a bit more expensive over there than it is here in England (even here though the price has varied between £150 and £480 so timing is everything).
If you could find it for an acceptable price (or maybe save up some more money) I would urge you to at least consider it.
(I've got some being delivered Monday).
I've had a few Sennheiser models and currently own the HD560S - which reviewers and owners generally seem to prefer over the 599.
Again, depending on price, it could be an option for you (you might be able to do what I did and get 10% off of a first order from Sennheiser Direct).
Comfort on the 560 is not too bad, I'd expect the 599 to be similar. But I've got no doubt the 271 Pro will be better.
Good luck with whatever you choose.
I thought about it and know my budget is 200 dollars. My new options are the HD599 and the HD560S. I owned a Sony WH-1000XM3 and I never liked the bass it had. So right now I'm thinking about the HD560S. The AKG seem great, but It's really hard for me to find where I live.

Reactions: Gray

Gray

...right now I'm thinking about the HD560S.
Good for you.
Now, more than ever, I can recommend the 560S.
I received the AKG yesterday and extensively compared the two (fed by a Topping A50S amp). To sum up the difference, the 560S is tighter and brighter. Both are described as 'reference' headphones, suitable for monitoring purposes - so you could be forgiven for expecting less of a difference between the two. My point being that there's no substitute for listening (nor accounting for personal tastes).
So if you can, try to compare 599 and 560S for yourself - then see if there's any discount from Sennheiser Direct (though I reckon the 560S is easily worth its full price - and I even prefer it's tonal balance to that of the HD600).
Enjoy what you end up with.

Reactions: angelmf2704

angelmf2704

Nov 15, 2020
Visit site
Good for you.
Now, more than ever, I can recommend the 560S.
I received the AKG yesterday and extensively compared the two (fed by a Topping A50S amp). To sum up the difference, the 560S is tighter and brighter. Both are described as 'reference' headphones, suitable for monitoring purposes - so you could be forgiven for expecting less of a difference between the two. My point being that there's no substitute for listening (nor accounting for personal tastes).
So if you can, try to compare 599 and 560S for yourself - then see if there's any discount from Sennheiser Direct (though I reckon the 560S is easily worth its full price - and I even prefer it's tonal balance to that of the HD600).
Enjoy what you end up with.
Trying them would be the best thing. Unfortunately, my local dealers only sell Sennheiser products online. I don't know what to do

Gray

Trying them would be the best thing. Unfortunately, my local dealers only sell Sennheiser products online. I don't know what to do
Amazon and Bax Music are two online retailers that have a free returns policy.
Not that I'm suggesting anyone should be a serial returner, but it's a handy, 'get out of jail free' backup. (I wish I'd used one of them for the AKG as I've just learned that if I decide to return them, it will cost me 10% + some added hassle.....fair enough, some would say).

Back on your choices; I will just say that the 560S is not a warm sounding headphone.
In fact you could easily have a 'no bass' first impression. But it's there and it's very good quality too.
If you're someone that needs added warmth for a more comfortable listen, best to avoid the 560S......otherwise you can buy it with confidence.

angelmf2704

Nov 15, 2020
Visit site
Amazon and Bax Music are two online retailers that have a free returns policy.
Not that I'm suggesting anyone should be a serial returner, but it's a handy, 'get out of jail free' backup. (I wish I'd used one of them for the AKG as I've just learned that if I decide to return them, it will cost me 10% + some added hassle.....fair enough, some would say).

Back on your choices; I will just say that the 560S is not a warm sounding headphone.
In fact you could easily have a 'no bass' first impression. But it's there and it's very good quality too.
If you're someone that needs added warmth for a more comfortable listen, best to avoid the 560S......otherwise you can buy it with confidence.
I agree with you, returning an audio product is not good, wasting money and time. I'll probably go with HD 560s, right now they are $40 dollars cheaper than the HD599. I didn't like a lot the sound of my WH-1000XM3, so I always used an EQ reducing low, midd and high bass about 5 db on average. I'm not saying that the HD 599 sound bad, I'm just looking for a more neutral sounding headphones. I'm more into vocals. I can always increase bass with an EQ I think. But I'm think I'm going to like them. Thanks

Gray

I agree with you, returning an audio product is not good, wasting money and time. I'll probably go with HD 560s, right now they are $40 dollars cheaper than the HD599. I didn't like a lot the sound of my WH-1000XM3, so I always used an EQ reducing low, midd and high bass about 5 db on average. I'm not saying that the HD 599 sound bad, I'm just looking for a more neutral sounding headphones. I'm more into vocals. I can always increase bass with an EQ I think. But I'm think I'm going to like them. Thanks
560S definitely neutral - possibly the most neutral in Sennheiser's range - apart from the HE1 maybe, but I haven't tried that one....because it costs £51,000 :eek:(300x the price of the 560S).
At 40 Dollars less than the 599, your decision is made 👍
In your own time, maybe come back and say what you think.

angelmf2704

Nov 15, 2020
Visit site
560S definitely neutral - possibly the most neutral in Sennheiser's range - apart from the HE1 maybe, but I haven't tried that one....because it costs £51,000 :eek:(300x the price of the 560S).
At 40 Dollars less than the 599, your decision is made 👍
In your own time, maybe come back and say what you think.
Definitely, the weird thing is that the HD 560s is a newer model and is usually cheaper. I have heard people say that they bought their HD599 SE for 100 bucks. Seem like a great value, but it's only available one or two times a year.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts