Should Speaker Covers Be Left On or Off?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Excuse the probably novice question but is there a standard answer or is it just preference when it comes to speaker covers?

All speakers come with covers, so I assume there's a reason. If it's just protection from dust though, I wonder how harmful dust can be...

Another reason I ask is because speakers are always pictured without covers. Is this just for aesthetics and a good photograph? (Some speakers do look amazing exposed after all) Or can removing the covers affect sound quality greatly?

A

Anonymous

I think it depends on the manufacturer, i had some Linn speakers and they recomended not taking them off. My speakers covers are quite heavy and do tend to make a difference when off, so i leave them on, but as you say they do look good off.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Most speakers sound (and look) best with the speaker grilles off, except when the manufacturer has specifically designed them to be used with grilles on.

But obviously grilles have their uses - as mentioned, there's the dust issue. Kids' fingers pushing in the speaker-drivers is another matter....

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
take them off and see those drivers move
emotion-11.gif

A

Anonymous

In the 6 weeks I've owned my dali's, I can't take my eyes off them.......covers have been off, but sound quality is essentially the same with or wthout them, so in most cases the covers are off because it is aesthetically pleasing ;)

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
With my new B&W 685s, I'm in two minds! I love the look of them with the covers off (though my friend said they looked ugly - he was obviously wrong), but when I have people round, I'm immediately scared one of them will accidently trip and put their hand through one of the drivers!

In my mind therefore, the answer is obvious! If you're listening on your own, leave them off. If you're trying to impress someone, leave them off. If you have people round you can't trust, put them back on!

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
strange one this.i leave mine off as i hear a difference,treble is brighter and vocals are more spacious,a bit like biwiring.for which i am conducting a few test's to see how much a difference it makes but thay's for a later date.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Thaiman"]
take them off and see those drivers move
emotion-11.gif

[/quote]

forgot to mention that my doesn't come with grills any way!

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
All the speakers I have used sound better with them off with the exception of my first speakers:Kef Celeste III,these had a fixed all round wrap which made removing anything impossible.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Anton90125"]
All the speakers I have used sound better with them off with the exception of my first speakers:Kef Celeste III,these had a fixed all round wrap which made removing anything impossible.

[/quote]

I was start wondering where have you gone! Have you moved yet?

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
Not yet. There are so many things to sort out! Its taking a lot of my time! I haven't had a chance to try out that second Isolda cable yet (in Biwire mode). It will probably happen after I move!

A

Anonymous

All the speakers I have heard sound better with the grilles off.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Big Aura said:
you've obviously thought long and hard about that answer!

I'm guessing he preferred to answer a 4 year old thread rather than the one started by SteveD eleven minutes earlier...

[Note from mods - that thread removed as duplicate. Text below]:

[quote SteveD]

Just experimenting with taking the covers off my speakers and might be imagining it but it does seem to have made a (bit of) difference with even greater clarity and improved imaging. Setting aside aesthetics (which do not bother me either way) and likelihood of being damaged by littl'uns (I sadly have none so this is not a risk) do you think it is unwise to keep them off for any other reason? Can dust build up damage the cones over time? What's the best thing to use to wipe the cones and keep the dust levels down if anything? Thanks for your help.

[/quote]

A

Anonymous

Yep, my fault, committed the cardinal sin of posting without doing a search (thanks for pulling that one up Simon).

Still, be interesting to see if those who said they keep the covers off have had their speaker cones disintegrate in a puff of dust four years down the line!

Seriously, I'm sure it makes a positive difference with mine, and assume there's no reason to keep them on particularly?

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Certain speakers are designed to have their covers left on.
If you look at the baffle on these ATC speakers, the domestic versions have a flat baffle that ends abruptly. These are designed to be used with the covers in place to avoid edge diffraction.

scm100slat.jpg

The professional versions on the other hand have rounded edges and dont come with grilles

scm100aslpro.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts