Speaker grill on or off?

gasolin

I was wondering, speaker grill on or off?

I have glossy speakers and the grill does have some protection against dust and reduces the glossy effect

But as a music lover it screams without the grill !

What do you use, grill on or off?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I guess I'm a bit different to most. The guy who actually built my speakers set them up in my room. He told me to leave the grills on for best sound. So although I have played them without grills now and again (and I didn't hear much difference if at all), generally I take his advice.

K

keeper of the quays

Mine have no grills either but if they had grills they would be removed...

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Yes, definitely either on or off :p

not that I really have a choice. One set has no grills and the other has non-removable grills.

gasolin

ID. said:
Yes, definitely either on or off :p

not that I really have a choice. One set has no grills and the other has non-removable grills.

The genelec you have have metal grills like most pa speakers have

for pa speaker it might not matter with or without grill(if it makes any differnce in sound), but for the best sound from you genelec (nearfelt speakers made for mixing) i guess it would make a difference

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Focals: Tweeter grilles on (seems to help with dispersion), Bass/Mid grilles off.

Sonus Fabers: Doesn't seem to make much difference soundwise, but they look prettier with them on.

One am sure there have been other threads on this matter but for me grilles are on as general protection but come off for extended listening sessions. Cannot hear much of a difference though, possibly some soundstage widening when they are off. Pretty much speaker dependent.

TrevC

gasolin said:

I have glossy speakers and the grill does have some protection against dust and reduces the glossy effect

The heat from a grill could damage the speakers, so I wouldn't use one.

Tomas

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
since my little one can walk grills are on (actualy using double sided tape) but if I could they would be off all the time.

TrevC said:
gasolin said:

The heat from a grill could damage the speakers, so I wouldn't use one.

It's pedants day! Ok it's grille with an 'e'.

When I have family or friends over who have young kids, then I put the covers on. Other than that, they are off.

I really prefer the look of the drivers too, and having separate covers for the tweeters is a good thing. To me, they do sound better without.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts