£150 speaker budget: Help me!

Sampha

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
Hello!

Okay, I need some help. I desperately need to upgrade my current speaker system (which is a budget Creative 2.1 set-up, that is now hissing and crackling at me... Eww), and I definitely need some help finding the best within my budget and criteria.

The thing is, and these are really important things to bear in mind:

- My budget is an absolute maximum of £150 for the speakers.

- The speakers absolutely have to fit and work on a standard size Ikea Billy bookcase (depth 28cm). I live with the parentals in the shoe-box room, my current set-up is very space efficient but not very good on sound. I can spare enough for some medium sized bookshelf speakers, but they may have to be plush against the back of the bookcase (which I know may not be idea for sound reproduction).

- Aesthetics are important and where possible, I will favour a set-up I can get in white than a black one.

- Speakers will be primarily used for music and in pretty much near constant use. I also will use them for sound playback whilst watching films/programmes and occasionally, gaming. Primary focus is on music.

- All of my speakers I have thus far seem to last only about eighteen months to two years. I would like something a little more durable and can definitely handle being used a lot of the time, although not necessarily on full volume.

- Future-proof. I don't need them to last a lifetime, but I hope to not be living in my shoebox room for ever, and I'd like these speakers to be able to travel well and adapt to larger spaces when necessary.

[Edit: If it turns out going passive is best for the time being I'll probably just buy the Lepai TA2020, and upgrade when I can afford to do so and also when space allows as well]

If it helps, I am based around SW London, so if any locals know of any places to find good deals, that would also be excellent.

So, if you have any recommendations or suggestions or even just a site or shop that might be of any use, please send it my way. And thank you for any help in advanced. If you have any other questions, I'll be happy to answer. :)

I agree with Matthew's suggestion, and I'm not clear what your source is. Imagine it may be a PC, as you mention Creative.

The little amp you name is not really hifi, more for a PC. White may be tricky as this is a recent fashion, which rules out older boxes which are black or brown by default.

Some powered speakers might be an option. Audioengine A2 come to mind, and regularly appear on ebay.

Welcome to the madness!

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
nopiano said:
I agree with Matthew's suggestion, and I'm not clear what your source is. Imagine it may be a PC, as you mention Creative.

The little amp you name is not really hifi, more for a PC. White may be tricky as this is a recent fashion, which rules out older boxes which are black or brown by default.

Some powered speakers might be an option. Audioengine A2 come to mind, and regularly appear on ebay.

Welcome to the madness!

Decent call, even the latest A2+ can be had under £200, white too.

You will not need a power amp either, but depending on your sources, you may need some sort of volume control.

Sampha

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
You're correct, my source is my laptop, currently with an external soundcard (which also requires upgrading in the near future, but that's a whole other issue).

The reason I have the little amp in mind is because of cost, and also space. I cannot describe how small my room is, but literally everything I have in here can only be on the two bookcases I've managed to squeeze in. So, I'm working with limited means here, but will definitely upgrade myself when money and space allows. If I have to go passive, at least it comes fairly well rated and should do the job for the mean time. :)

The Audioengine's look good. I've looked at them before and I've read some good stuff on them.

As for used/second hand, I wouldn't know where to start with determining what would be a good buy, any general hints and tips when looking for used speakers?

Thank you for all the replies so far.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
If your source is the computer then you will have a workable volume control.

So, take your £150 + the budget for your amp, dig a tiny bit deeper and get these....

http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipment/esi-unik-08-active-ribbon-studio-monitor--208545

At £210pr these are way under half price and will blow everything else we have discussed into the weeds, assuming you can fit them in of course.

Down the line you can get a decent dac/preamp and have the basis of a very good setup indeed.

ReValveiT

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 at 100 squid delivered from SuperFi and pocket the £50.

Best value speakers you're ever likely to stumble across. They *may* be a tad deep though at 29cm including terminals.

Sampha

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
davedotco said:
If your source is the computer then you will have a workable volume control.

So, take your £150 + the budget for your amp, dig a tiny bit deeper and get these....

http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipment/esi-unik-08-active-ribbon-studio-monitor--208545

At £210pr these are way under half price and will blow everything else we have discussed into the weeds, assuming you can fit them in of course.

Down the line you can get a decent dac/preamp and have the basis of a very good setup indeed.

Thanks for the recommendation, but at £210 for the pair they are *way* over my budget... And they're too deep for my shelf. :(

Sampha

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
ReValveiT said:
Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 at 100 squid delivered from SuperFi and pocket the £50.

Best value speakers you're ever likely to stumble across. They *may* be a tad deep though at 29cm including terminals.

Thanks for the recommendation! I've read about these elsewhere whilst researching, so I'll definitely keep them in mind. :)

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
nopiano said:

Welcome to the madness!

Audioengine A2's are a good shout, I have some in my kitchen and they are surprisingly good for their size, my kitchen is a pretty big space and they fill it with sound. You can get them in white and you don't need an amp - will fit your shelf aswell.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts