Should Naim gear, especially the Uniti, be kept switched on all the time?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
My sympathies with the flashing light John, I found setting up the Airport Express to play from itunes to be a real pain-in-the-*** when the distance between computer and hifi is quite far.

As for keeping the Uniti on all the time - yes I've been doing the same and I think I'll continue to do the same (clearly I wouldn't qualify as a greenie).

Thanks for the replies guys, it's much appreciated.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:I leave the Uniti on all the time. Though my mother in law was staying this week and slept in the living room, and asked if there was any way of turning off "the flashing orange light" (which was my Airport Express misbehaving...)

I had a few teething problems with the AE not being able to get a connection but now its set up its good. I have it switched off for days on end at times and when its switched on it fires up no problem. Just to add its 10 meters away.

A

Anonymous

When you talk about switching off, do you mean just leaving on a standby mode or off as in switched off at the wall?

is there even a standby on Naim amps/ uniti's

SteveR750

tim20:
When you talk about switching off, do you mean just leaving on a standby mode or off as in switched off at the wall?

is there even a standby on Naim amps/ uniti's

snap, you beat me to it.

I leave the amp on standby, the DAC goes off, and the PC goes off.

tyranniux42

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
My Naim CDP and amp done have a standby mode, but I do turn off the displays for both listening and when not in use, I doubt very much that contributes significantly to the power used but I do it for less distraction more than anything.

With regards to leaving them on, if as another poster said it draws approx 20 watts total quiescent power then I would think of it as a low power heater which gently circulates the room air with gentle convection currents :) - free air conditioning hehe

There was a time before the energy crisis when buildings were designed with a lighting plan that would be used on a night to achieve heating. Because they were designed from concept to do this the Building management systems would be switched off on a night and only used fro frost and fabric protection on very cold evenings. This was however not understood by the local newspapers and the building was consquently the target of many a 'Thats a massive waste of energy' comment when all the lights were on throughout the night whilst unoccupied

If however you see it in the way that energy must come from somewhere, be it the lights, or a dedicated heating system it still takes the same amount of energy to heat a space, and that lighting is spread throughout a building in such a way to make it ideal for the even and efficeint distribution of heat. That is ofcourse before you factor in the difference between price per kilowatt of electricity compared to say gas or oil but I think you get the general idea.

Dont know why I particulary started this post but in short i dont mind leaving my amp and CDP on 24/7 due to the fact that it gets used for at least 2 hours per day, and my TV is hardly ever switched on.

I never eat or bath either so that saves me loads of energy ;-)

regards

Dan

SteveR750

never eat or bath either so that saves me loads of energy ;-)

In a similar vein, my food intake as an amateur *serious* cyclist has the carbon footprint of a small island community, so much for it being a green transport mode.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts