Should I upgrade my ADC XLM mkiii cartridge for hifi?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

dupree

Oct 12, 2021
Visit site
Well I've got a Thorens (TD160S) turntable with the very modest VM95E cartridge.
It sounds great, but I'm the last person in the world to be advising you.
That's because there's more chance of me being the first person to set foot on Mars than there is of me ever spending $1000 on a cartridge.

I reckon the VM740ML that Paul recommends in post #21, could be good - and it's the most I would be spending in your position (even with $1000 going completely spare).
In fact, I have to wonder whether your receiver would allow you to fully appreciate the difference (such that it may be) between that and a VM95ML.

Yeah I have the thorens td145 and it sounds pretty good! I would like to upgrade everything else over time so thought going with a good cartridge would be a good start. I checked out that at cartridge and it sounds pretty good, and the Nagoya cartridges sound intriguing as well.

Reactions: Gray
I would agree with Grays / Paul's recommendations but if you really want to spend then I see that website link sells the MOFI range of cartridges.
I have not heard one personally but believe they are excellent cartridges, certainly if they are as good as their phono preamps, and the Ultratracker would certainly suit your Thorens well, in my opinion.

dupree

Oct 12, 2021
Visit site
I would agree with Grays / Paul's recommendations but if you really want to spend then I see that website link sells the MOFI range of cartridges.
I have not heard one personally but believe they are excellent cartridges, certainly if they are as good as their phono preamps, and the Ultratracker would certainly suit your Thorens well, in my opinion.

Thanks again for all the feedback! What's your opinion on ortofon? Are those worth consideration as well?

D

Deleted member 108165

Thanks again for all the feedback! What's your opinion on ortofon? Are those worth consideration as well?
2M Bronze is a nice cart, (I could never get on with the 2M Black). Nagaoka MP300 is nice too :)

Reactions: Al ears

dupree

Oct 12, 2021
Visit site
not my cup of tea, so to speak, but don't let me put you off.
did you have a particular one in mind considering all the advice already given to you??

Well from what I've looked at, probably between one of the nagaoka (300 or 500) or one of the audio technicas. Both look like premium choices.

D

Deleted member 108165

I've read good things about the nagaoka 300 and 500 :)
It's all true :) Based on recommendations on this forum I originally bought a 300 and now have the 500, they are both outstanding, (they suit my ears). I have been through the entire Ortofon 2M range, also tried AT - very good cartridges too.

The wonderful thing about cartridges is that you can purchase a cartridge dependent on what presentation suits your ears, the downside is that you can't get them on home-loan to try before you buy.

It's all true :) Based on recommendations on this forum I originally bought a 300 and now have the 500, they are both outstanding, (they suit my ears). I have been through the entire Ortofon 2M range, also tried AT - very good cartridges too.

The wonderful thing about cartridges is that you can purchase a cartridge dependent on what presentation suits your ears, the downside is that you can't get them on home-loan to try before you buy.
That's very true. Trying to identify a cartridge that is fairly neutral in all respects and that the majority of people would be proud to own is very difficult these days.
The Nagaoka range, and the 300 in particular used to be my go get suggestion, however it's not so easy what with their large price increase many years ago meaning others in a similar price bracket are now in contention.

D

Deleted member 108165

That's very true. Trying to identify a cartridge that is fairly neutral in all respects and that the majority of people would be proud to own is very difficult these days.
The Nagaoka range, and the 300 in particular used to be my go get suggestion, however it's not so easy what with their large price increase many years ago meaning others in a similar price bracket are now in contention.
Agreed, Al (y) Think I may have got in just after the the initial price hike but subsequent increases have made them damned expensive. Shipping direct from Japan used to be the cheapest route, but care had to taken with landed taxes adding to the tempting price differential.

Reactions: Al ears
Agreed, Al (y) Think I may have got in just after the the initial price hike but subsequent increases have made them damned expensive. Shipping direct from Japan used to be the cheapest route, but care had to taken with landed taxes adding to the tempting price differential.
Yes, sometimes you get lucky with duties like I did when I imported my Zyx cartridge, however not everyone is so lucky.
For what it's worth Zyx make some brilliant cartridges but hard to find at a decent price without importing directly.

Last edited:

dupree

Oct 12, 2021
Visit site

Yeah the price on those cartridges in Canada are around 900 and 1100 CAD respectively. There are places that finance here so I don't mind getting either. What's the better value or bang for your buck?

TRENDING THREADS