Should i get with the times? and if so with what?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys, its my first post on here, but have been looking around for a while.

I have had a technics separates system for 15 years now, which was a hand-me-down from my mum, she got it when i was 5 or 6, so it really is getting on a bit....20-21 years old.

A bit of information on my music taste:

I have a very wide range of music including (in no particular order) Korn, Nirvana, Staind, Pearl Jam, through to Portishead, Seal, UB40, Tiga, some Drum and Bass compilations, Dance compilations and so on....So a mixed bag really.

The amp is a SU-X102, and i have some mission M33 floor standing speakers, i dont know how good the reviews of these are, but iv always been pretty happy with the set up and it is still going strong. (Also have the radio, CD player and tape deck).

I have recently invested in an Ipod and a lot of my music on it, so at the moment im just running a 3.5mm jack to phono and through the amp.

I have been thinking about getting a new system, but didnt know how much i would need to spend to get to a decent standard.

I was reading the Denon D-M38DAB reviews but wondered how it would stand against my current system (for all i know it might totally blow it away). Or would i need to look at spending more?

Ash

tj27

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi Mate & welcome along
emotion-21.gif

regards your set-up & getting something more 'up-to date', it will depend on your budget & what exactly your after.

Do you want a complete fresh start like new amp, speakers, cd player & ipod dock & it to be used for just stereo music or would you prefer to buy an av amp & then you can use it for movies & have 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound, still being able to have stero music, cd player & ipod connection/dock etc.....

A

Anonymous

Really its just the music aspect im after, my mother upgraded to a technics receiver with floor standing speakers, sub, centre speaker and surrounds, but she very rarely uses them, so i think for me it would be a bit of a waste.

i cant believe i keep referring to my mum! lol

I think i would like a fresh start, but really depends on what i would need to spend to get a better set up than i have :)

A

Anonymous

Hi Ash,

Firstly I woudn't be to hasty about parting with the amplifier. Technics made really good quality amplifiers and hands up I don't know to much about your model but there is every chance it is a very capable machine. You stated you have an IPod. I would therefore look at purchasing a good quality iPod dock such as the Arcam ir dock which will improve the sound quality of your mp3 tunes no end. far better than the mini jack lead.
The dock will cost you downwards of 150 pounds.

May be a good pair of budget speakers to go with the amp. There are good offering from Tannoy, Monitor Audio and the like, just check out the speakers in the review section. so you could spend 300 pounds that way improving.

Alternatively you could go for something like an epoz Aktimate speakers which you just plug your iPod into. personally I owned a pair and didn't like the sound to much. but that doesn't mean you won't.

good luck

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I had a Technics separate system about 20 years ago (may have been same as your). Cost about a grand. Mega money for me. How times have changed now you can get systems like the Denon for a fraction of the price.
As the Denon is widely available without speakers for under £200 & if you're happy with it's features (ESP the iPod connectivity) it may be worth trying with your current speakers and see how you feel before spending more on speakers.
I'd have thought if your Technics is in good condition you may be able to sell it on eBay and get some money back making the outlay even less.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Good.pick though.

I've had a rdock in the past but if I was looking again think I'd go with the onkyo + dac.

Although not technically as good I love the QED uplay Bluetooth receiver.

A

Anonymous

richardw42:Good.pick though.

I've had a rdock in the past but if I was looking again think I'd go with the onkyo + dac.

Although not technically as good I love the QED uplay Bluetooth receiver.

yeah my mate uses the QED all the time now. I like the tech...

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
DAC is just an abbreviation for something that converts digital information to analogue so that it can be listened through headphones or speakers. For instance the info read from a CD is digital and will need to be converted. Most if not all CD players (apart from high end) have this built in. The iPod has it's own dac as well and a lot of docks such as the rDock just pass the already converted sounds to an amp. A digital dock such as the Onkyo will bypass the cheapish DAC on the iPod, however the digital info still needs converting so a separate DAC will be needed. But tbh if you're interested in the Denon you don't really have to worry about any of this.
QED is just a brand name, they make cables & accessories etc

Paul.

I used to have a pair of Mission M35's, and although they were good speakers the Monitor Audio BR5's I replaced them with were significantly better in terms of clarity and soundstage etc. Not as meaty obviously (the m35 had three 7" drivers per speaker) but definitely worth doing. Peter Tyson's ebay page has new BR5's up for £249, thats £100 less than I purchased mine for.

sweety7272

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi there,

Your options here are pretty limitless! My advice would be to start by thinking what kind of budget you are looking to spend - not just today, but as a total of what you might put into this over a more extended time period. That will quite quickly narrow down the options. If I had my time again, I would have probably thought a bit more long term, and spent a bit more time thinking of the end I had in mind before spending anything at all. This helps avoid "tinkering" and losing money on upgrades that don't really fit the long term plan.

You then probably need to decide whether you are going to go down the digital / computer based music route entirely. This does have some benefits, and the world looks quite different to how it did when your system was made! I think this decision should be based on how you think you'd like to access music in the future. For example, would you get excited if you could play your music in any part of the house, or would you be comfortable using your computer to control what's playing? Are you the kind of person that will always want to be able to put a cd in a slot to enjoy listening? Or do you think getting access to 8million tracks on Spotify or Napster would be more up your street? To my mind, getting with the times these days is more about how you access the music rather than the quality of the sound per se. Not that quality isn't important, it's just that I think the real advances have been made in access and control, rather than out and out quality.

So, I'd be looking at getting a good understanding of what's out there in the new technologies arena before parting with cash. For example, I bought a fairly expensive dock for my i-pod....which has gathered dust since I discovered Spotify!

Lots of advice on these forums, but dealers still can help an awful lot too, so worth having a nosey round your local dealers.

Good luck!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts