should i buy a Subwoofer to go with my standmounts

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
i currently own a pair of monitor audio gs10 speakers on partington dreadnought stands. i cant make up my mind on if i should trade my speakers in and buy a pair of gs20 floorstanders or keep my current speakers and get a subwoofer. i miss that big sound you get with floorstanders and that extra bass. i dont want to spend more than £600 on a sub but would prefer to spend less since ive allready spent around £950 on the speakers and stands. do you guys have any recomendations on what sub if any i should pick up

cheers

ryan

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
hi Ryan,

We rated the GS20s well for scale and low-end power - so it sounds like they'd deliver the grunt you're after - but they did lose a star for lacking some exuberance and rhythmic snap.

A fast subwoofer might be a better answer if pace is important as bass, then. I'd strongly suggest auditioning Velodyne's SPL-800i (£499), our current subwoofer product of the year: it's outstanding with music as well as movies.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Ryan

If you want a Velodyne SPL-800i you'd better move fast. Just spoke to the distributor, Redline, and they're about to phase it out. They have one more batch due in next week, and then that's it! Sounds like you may need to take a trip down to your nearest dealer prompto!

A

Anonymous

thanks anyway guys, bought myself a rel stampede and its fantastic! having a sub with my monitors feels like the jump from black and white to colour tv. im really impressed with the speed and agility of the base it produces, i cant belive what i was missing.

cheers

ryan

A

Anonymous

Ryan

That is the exact speaker configuration I am contemplating - would ypou mind telling me what amp you are using, how well it suits the speakers, and whether you have tried any others and how well they worked?

Cheers

Mark M

A

Anonymous

What amp are you using?

I've found that a decent amp upgrade will often improve bass dramatically.

Also, I'm sure that a dealer will demo GS10+sub with GS20 for you.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts