Should I buy a DACMagic?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My system, as it stands, is a Marantz PM-6010KI amp, Marantz CD-67OSE and a pair of KEF Q15's. My problem is that it all sounds a bit lack-lustre.  The detail just isn't there. 

I've been considering changing the KEF's (originally purchased to go with a Sony Amp), but after some reasearch I've started to look at the CD player as being the problem.

I've been reading many good things about the Cambridge DACMagic, but mostly compared with the sound card in your PC.

I'm interested to know if it could add a new level of detail to my system.

Has anyone tried something similar?  Did it help? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks,

James 

A

Anonymous

You'll get a bigger difference from changing loudspeakers than a digital source.

If you want a detailed small speaker try AVI's "Neutron".

A

Anonymous

For the purpose of improving your existing cd player you might but the dac in them both could be the same, in which case it will most likely sound very similar. Most people seem to use a dac for lossless files, as opposed to cd playing.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
The DacMagic is very good and wont be a waste of money plus it adds flexibility. You could usefully improve on all areas by upgrading the rest of your system as and when funds allow but you probably look at around £500 for the amp and perhaps a bit less for the speakers for any significant improvements so nominating your digital replay source first, especially at the DacMagics price, is not as crazy as it may seem first.

A

Anonymous

I don't think just adding the DacMagic will make a big difference at all to your set-up. Even more so if you're not playing mp3/lossless filles. Which is where the DM really comes into its own.

I have my blu-ray player as source and adding the DM to it only brings a marginal improvement.

A

Anonymous

The DM will upsample your files, it would be a great addition to the mentioned system. It will make a difference, it will lift your enjoyment.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
momo72:I don't think just adding the DacMagic will make a big difference at all to your set-up. Even more so if you're not playing mp3/lossless filles. Which is where the DM really comes into its own.

Surely a CD player is just outputting lossless files...

nads

I think there are other things that could be changed that will bring you greater musical reward than adding a DAC to your set up.

Cables maybe something to look at, as you do not mention what you have.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
professorhat:
momo72:I don't think just adding the DacMagic will make a big difference at all to your set-up. Even more so if you're not playing mp3/lossless filles. Which is where the DM really comes into its own.

Surely a CD player is just outputting lossless files...

No - not really. While CD output is uncompressed (as opposed to lossless) it is at the mercy of realtime streaming from the disc, with any errors corrected by guesswork by the digital circuitry. With a Hard-Disk based system, any errors are re-read until the correct bits are obtained. So you get a far more accurate data stream.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Yes, sorry should have been a bit clearer. I know why a hard drive is a better transport than a CD, but in terms of using a DAC, surely the improvements should be just as good when using a CD as when sending lossless files - that was my point.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Again, I suppose it does rather depend on how good the DAC in the CD player is compared with the DM - it could be that the CD's DAC is already doing a good job, given the data it has...

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Indeed, and the same could be said on the DAC present in your soundcard on your computer, although admittedly, it's more likely the DAC in a CD player will be of a higher quality than your average PC.

I guess my point was, it's not really as simple as external DAC + computer = good improvement, external DAC + CD player = not much improvement. There's potential for improvement in both systems, but other factors will really depend on the level of improvement as opposed to just the transport method.

ÿ

A

Anonymous

I know I am biased but the short answer, based on similar personal experience, is yes, definitely. And I'll personally arrange to give you your money back if you don't feel it's changed your system for the better.

John Duncan

Cambridge Audio CEO:I know I am biased but the short answer, based on similar personal experience, is yes, definitely. And I'll personally arrange to give you your money back if you don't feel it's changed your system for the better.

A hit, a very palpable hit.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Cambridge Audio CEO:I know I am biased but the short answer, based on similar personal experience, is yes, definitely. And I'll personally arrange to give you your money back if you don't feel it's changed your system for the better. A hit, a very palpable hit.

Um...pretty easy to get your money back frm RS tho, is it not?

A

Anonymous

Wow! that is an offer...!

ÿIn fact, I very nearly bought one on Wednesday - however the shop had sold out citing that Cambridge Audio had trouble getting a hold of some parts? Is this the case?

ÿÿ

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
j_master_general:
Wow! that is an offer...!

ÿIn fact, I very nearly bought one on Wednesday - however the shop had sold out citing that Cambridge Audio had trouble getting a hold of some parts? Is this the case?

ÿÿ

I would go along with what Drummerman said. You will at least hear a slight improvement over your cd player. However, once you upgrade your amp and speakers, the DacMagic would still be able to keep up with the better components.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts