Should CDs and records have minimum system requirements? Can they?

BasicHIFI

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
For computer software one is always given the minimmum spec for running it. There is a minimum requirement and a recommended configuration. For example:

2nd-generation Core i5 (2GHz+), 3rd/4th-generation Core i5 processor, or equivalent;

Windows 7 or later

Might the same be done for CD and LP music? I believe it would be helpful and clear the air regarding the quality of Hi FI

Minimum System Requirments:

(room size, listening position specified, 3 metres away from speakers, for example: amp specified for a specific listening area)

Amplifier Specs: Power, THD, SNR, Crosstalk as mentioned in this guide.

https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/blog/amplifier-specifications

Speakers: Frequency response, sensitiviy, power handling (depends on room?). This is a guide to choosing speakers:

http://www.cnet.com/news/speaker-specifications-a-consumer-guide/

record_spot

Too many variables. You can use high sensitivity speakers, with low powered SETs if that's your thing. Multichannel AV amps that deliver a high current and high power output, a regular two channel amp, actives...no one-size fits all.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
It is the CDs that should be required to meet a minimum standard.

Some of the overpriced 'compressed to f**k', clipped and otherwise distorted cr@p that is offered to the music buying public is a disgrace.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
It is the CDs that should be required to meet a minimum standard.

I agree with both the posts.

Also remember that historically, CDs were played both in home based equipment, and portable CD players (before the ipod came along and changed everything). So if you had tried to impose one minimum standard on the playback equipment, to cover all scenarios, you would either have had to say that portable CD players shall have a performance superior to home based equipment, or that home based equipment must have a performance superior to portable CD players.

The CD player manufacturers would have rightly said that such a standard was unworkable.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
CDPs have recommended minimum performance specs by Sony and Philips which inovated and hold patents on CD technology. Same for S/PDIF (Sony/Philips Digital Interface Format). No such standards for record players that I know of.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
CDPs have recommended minimum performance specs by Sony and Philips which inovated and hold patents on CD technology. Same for S/PDIF (Sony/Philips Digital Interface Format). No such standards for record players that I know of.

But do those specs cover just the CD transport, or the DAC, amplifier, cables, speakers as well?

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
expat_mike said:
Vladimir said:

But do those specs cover just the CD transport, or the DAC, amplifier, cables, speakers as well?

If the CD transport did not comply with set specifications how could you guarantee it could play CD's? I've read that anything that carries the patented CD logo must comply with CD specs and is guaranteed to read CD's.

Cables, like most things, have thier own ISO standards agreed by industry bodies.

I don't understand what CD spec is relevant to a speaker manufacturer. The audio range of CD covers just over the human hearing range of 20Hz to 20KHz. Not all speakers can handle that range. No normal bookshelf speakers can and a huge whack of floorstanding speakers can't reproduce the full human hearing range either.

Speakers will come with the frequency range they can reproduce usually in the form of 46Hz (-6dB) to 28KHz. The -6dB bit just points out at that frequency the speaker will sound almost half as loud as it would higher up the frequency range with the same input volume.

If you want full range speakers you need to buy 20Hz to 20KHz.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
expat_mike said:
Vladimir said:

Just the end result measured for the CD player. What happens after the RCA plugs is someone elses headache. Exception would be the CD transport + DAC separates, which would be considered as one unit that gets recommended to meet standards.

BTW I just remembered, RIAA (Recording Industry Association of America) is a firm equalization standard for record players and phono preamps that everyone follows, more or less.

TRENDING THREADS