shortlist of speakers for my Naim

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
BigH said:
I think the key point is the room, some of those speakers probably will not work so home demo is a must.

Maybe a trip to Coventy or Derby?
Can get a home demo for the neats and kefs but not the kudos. Coventry dont do the neats or the kudos.

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
stevebrock said:
I heard some Kudos C20 a few weeks ago - lovely but they should be for £3k

The Kudos X2 interest me greatly - out of the speakers you mentioned I reckon the Kudos is the best of a very good bunch (Neat, Totem)

I think speakers are my next upgrade and the Kudos X2 are on my list
must admit i am leaning towards the neats or the kudos simply on size alone. Will hear the Kudos on Saturday and report back. am hoping that whatever i get will be a big step up from the 685's which to my uneducated ear sound wonderful and i am wondering how anything can sound better.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
shep1968 said:
stevebrock said:
I heard some Kudos C20 a few weeks ago - lovely but they should be for £3k

The Kudos X2 interest me greatly - out of the speakers you mentioned I reckon the Kudos is the best of a very good bunch (Neat, Totem)

I think speakers are my next upgrade and the Kudos X2 are on my list
must admit i am leaning towards the neats or the kudos simply on size alone. Will hear the Kudos on Saturday and report back. am hoping that whatever i get will be a big step up from the 685's which to my uneducated ear sound wonderful and i am wondering how anything can sound better.

The Kudos & Neat have a small footprint which is a bonus for me!

Hi shep1968

A bit of a shame that you're restricted with the width of speakers otherwise the Focal JM Lab Aria 906 speakers would also have been worth a look as the Aria range was partly develped with Naim electronics.

Anyway the Nait 5si and CD5si also pair well with ATC's curved SCM7 monitors
smiley-smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi shep1968

A bit of a shame that you're restricted with the width of speakers otherwise the Focal JM Lab Aria 906 speakers would also have been worth a look as the Aria range was partly develped with Naim electronics.

smiley-smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
i bought my house before i got into separates and the layout of the lounge is horrific. One speaker is ok but the other is hidden slightly by the rack and tight against a wall. The Focals are bigger than my current 685's so wouldnt work. I'm happy with the smaller floorstander as i assume i will get as much depth of sound from a small floorstander as i will a large standmount with the advantage of having the spreaker further away from the walls.

Philim

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
shep1968 said:
drummerman said:
Guru's Junior is front 'ported' and said to be very musical. Worth a try perhaps

regards
Problem is that the nearest stockist is in St Albans i think!! Too far from the Midlands!!

Only an hour down the road. £20 in petrol for the right speakers. I have heard these at st albans in a 3m x2.5m demo room right up against the walls. Sounded fantastic.

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
Philim said:
shep1968 said:
drummerman said:
Guru's Junior is front 'ported' and said to be very musical. Worth a try perhaps

regards
Problem is that the nearest stockist is in St Albans i think!! Too far from the Midlands!!
home demo diffficult tho agree that it would be worth going to if they are the right speakers though

Only an hour down the road. £20 in petrol for the right speakers. I have heard these at st albans in a 3m x2.5m demo room right up against the walls. Sounded fantastic.

shep1968 said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi shep1968

smiley-smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
i bought my house before i got into separates and the layout of the lounge is horrific. One speaker is ok but the other is hidden slightly by the rack and tight against a wall. The Focals are bigger than my current 685's so wouldnt work. I'm happy with the smaller floorstander as i assume i will get as much depth of sound from a small floorstander as i will a large standmount with the advantage of having the spreaker further away from the walls.

Hi shep1968

Hence why I said otherwise. Anyway fair enough.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

lilneige

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
Lots of forum in the net about Naim owners and lot of them use Dynaudio loudspeakers.

Maybe X12? Not sure about the Excites, but my Focus 110s need space around them too. When I demo'ed 685, I got fatigued quickly and prefered the smoothness of DM 2/6. I do feel CMs are clearly better than 600s. I also liked PSB Imagine B more than 685. DM 2/6, CM 5 and Imagine B don't have the bass extansion that my Focus 110 has, so I think they may be able to be positioned close to the wall.

I did saw people like their Dali Mentor Menuet & Acoustic Energy AE1 Classic, those two and LS50 are the speakers that I would like to listen to if I got a chance.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
lilneige said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
Lots of forum in the net about Naim owners and lot of them use Dynaudio loudspeakers.

Maybe X12? Not sure about the Excites, but my Focus 110s need space around them too. When I demo'ed 685, I got fatigued quickly and prefered the smoothness of DM 2/6. I do feel CMs are clearly better than 600s. I also liked PSB Imagine B more than 685. DM 2/6, CM 5 and Imagine B don't have the bass extansion that my Focus 110 has, so I think they may be able to be positioned close to the wall.

I did saw people like their Dali Mentor Menuet & Acoustic Energy AE1 Classic, those two and LS50 are the speakers that I would like to listen to if I got a chance.

Think X12 are finished now, replaced by x14 they have quite a bit of bass. LS50s need some space. Some Naim users like Totems. CMs are a bit bassy too.

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
BigH said:
lilneige said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:

Think X12 are finished now, replaced by x14 they have quite a bit of bass. LS50s need some space. Some Naim users like Totems. CMs are a bit bassy too.
Had a look on the Naim forum and most like the kudos and the neat SX2. Guess i will make a decision on Saturday when i have a demo. One thing though, they will sound better, more detailled etc than a pair of B&W685's, wont they??

letsavit2

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
shep1968 said:
letsavit2 said:
Buy the neats then come back and thank me.......!
I must admit having heard the neats once they are very good. The smaller the better for me to be honest which is why i am tempted as then i can get them further away from a wall. Yours is v close to what i have, do you have yours near a wall and are they quite relaxed about that if you do?

yes I have them in an alcove, 300mm away from back wall and 200mm away from corners with acoustic panels behind without any booming. I could of had them set up away from corners shooting down the length of the room but the room acoustics (facing a large window) affected there sound much more than being stuck in corners and facing the way they are now.

So IMHO they are "relaxed" near walls but do care for room acoustics but I supposes the latter goes for all speakers.

Richard Allen said:
mpapo said:
Daveperc said:
EB2's - sealed box - very musical.

And EB Accoustics recommend Naim amplification...

if you are prepared to wait for 17 years that is

17???. That's a bare faced lie!!!. It's only ever been 9. :rofl:

Is that what it is now? That'll teach you to go off and voice other peoples speakers for them.

I was happy with a 5 month wait though. :)

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Al ears said:
Is that what it is now? That'll teach you to go off and voice other peoples speakers for them.

Yeah!. I spose it will but you can't turn a good man down can you? :shifty:

Never mind. From april time EB's goin retail in the UK as well as online!! :cheers:

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
letsavit2 said:
shep1968 said:
letsavit2 said:
Buy the neats then come back and thank me.......!
I must admit having heard the neats once they are very good. The smaller the better for me to be honest which is why i am tempted as then i can get them further away from a wall. Yours is v close to what i have, do you have yours near a wall and are they quite relaxed about that if you do?

yes I have them in an alcove, 300mm away from back wall and 200mm away from corners with acoustic panels behind without any booming. I could of had them set up away from corners shooting down the length of the room but the room acoustics (facing a large window) affected there sound much more than being stuck in corners and facing the way they are now.

So IMHO they are "relaxed" near walls but do care for room acoustics but I supposes the latter goes for all speakers.
Well i have had my demo and expected to walk away with a pair of neat motive SX2's. And indeed they were good, very good. However to my ears the Kudos X2 were better. It bettered the neats on all my demo songs bar one which was a draw and blew them away on Rent by the pet shop boys. More and tauter bass and not quite so bright.

As they are so small i can get them away from the walls and sound lovely already despite being fresh out of the box. I'll leave them running tomorrow all day to give them a through work out.

My 685's were excellent with the naim but these take it to another level. I'm hearing better separation and a more detailed sound. All i have to do now is pay for the things!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts