shortlist of speakers for my Naim

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
Have got to a final shortlist for my Naim 5si cd and amp combo. They are KEF LS-50 and R100, Neat SX2 and kudos x2. I'm not going to be able to get any of them more than 20cm or so away from a wall either side or back. I will be demoing again but it will be difficult to get them for a home demo, possibly only two pairs. Which in your opinions will not get too boomy with poor room positioning? also, will Soundstyle Z2 filled with atabites be adequate stands for the kef pair?

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
The LS50s are quite heavy, so I got some really decent stands: Partington Super Dreadnought. The Soundstyles will probably be ok as long as they are on a flat even surface.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
shep1968 said:
Have got to a final shortlist for my Naim 5si cd and amp combo. They are KEF LS-50 and R100, Neat SX2 and kudos x2. I'm not going to be able to get any of them more than 20cm or so away from a wall either side or back. I will be demoing again but it will be difficult to get them for a home demo, possibly only two pairs. Which in your opinions will not get too boomy with poor room positioning? also, will Soundstyle Z2 filled with atabites be adequate stands for the kef pair?

You have picked 3 excellent speaker brands, but nobody can tell with certainty which will work best for you.

I have LS50s on Soundstyle Z2s.

-I filled all 3 columns with sand.

-Blu-Taked the bottom plate of the stand to Granite slabs.

- Have Valahalla Technology isolation pads under the speakers.

IMO. They are good VFM stands and work fine, though I think a little short, as the tweeters are not at ear height when seated (less of a problem with Uni-Q design).

IMO. Decent heavy stands (eg. Partington) of the correct height will pay dividends.....and is what I'd have used for the LS50s, if I didn't already have a separate 2 channel system.

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Something like the ATC SCM7 or Spendor S3/5R would be worth an audition.

You may well run into troubles with most speakers including the above with that placement. Maybe try some cheap room treatment (passive) rather than active DSP etc.

Hi-FiOutlaw said:
Lots of forum in the net about Naim owners and lot of them use Dynaudio loudspeakers.

Indeed. That combo is cracking. Also heard Cyrus 8XP powering B&W PM1s. That also sounded really good. So if the OP doesn't have the budget for that model, worth checking out 805S. A little long in the tooth but I heard them with a Naim set-up at the dealers and that sounded very impressive.

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
letsavit2 said:
Buy the neats then come back and thank me.......!
I must admit having heard the neats once they are very good. The smaller the better for me to be honest which is why i am tempted as then i can get them further away from a wall. Yours is v close to what i have, do you have yours near a wall and are they quite relaxed about that if you do?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I heard some Kudos C20 a few weeks ago - lovely but they should be for £3k

The Kudos X2 interest me greatly - out of the speakers you mentioned I reckon the Kudos is the best of a very good bunch (Neat, Totem)

I think speakers are my next upgrade and the Kudos X2 are on my list

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Also heard Cyrus 8XP powering B&W PM1s. That also sounded really good. So if the OP doesn't have the budget for that model, worth checking out 805S. A little long in the tooth but I heard them with a Naim set-up at the dealers and that sounded very impressive.

I'm not generally a fan of B&W, but I do agree that the PM1s are excellent -- perhaps the sweet spot in the B&W range?

Matt

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts