Shonyun SH-306A + Epiphany Acoustics E-DAC - review

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Hi Everyone! Hope you all had a nice bank holiday weekend :)

I have been enjoying listening to some portable / transportable separates recently and thought I would finally share my findings. The 306A is a portable battery powered headphone amplifier and ther E-DAC is really small USB DAC (ESS (023 Sabre DAC) that also works with compatible smartphones.

This could be good for anyone looking to improve the sound from a smartphone, although the DAC works from a PC just as well.

http://noblehifi.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/shonyun-sh-306a-epiphany-e-dac-review.html

EDD_7055.jpg

EDD_6382.jpg

bobshek

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
Nice review and I would happily vouch for all of it.

It is because of that second picture (you used it once in another thread) that I too bought an EDac a little while ago to partner with my Note 2 and Alo RX Mk2. Up until that point, I was completely oblivious to the fact that the Note could output a digital signal..... So thanks for that :)

There is a noticeable step up in sound quality (clarity and coherence) from the headphone socket of the Note, and even more so if you use hard to drive headphones like DT1350s as dynamics improve too.

Probably one of the highlights of my gadget purchases this year.... Which is saying something as I've bought a lot!

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
You're welcome Bob! OMG how long ago did I post that photo?! This review has been a little while in the works :O

Did you get the newer version of the E-DAC with the RCAs btw? I keep trying to find a better cable solution than the one I used in that picture. I don't suppose you know where you can get the OTG and standard USB mini-B in a single short cable do you?

bobshek

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
quadpatch said:
You're welcome Bob! OMG how long ago did I post that photo?! This review has been a little while in the works :O

Did you get the newer version of the E-DAC with the RCAs btw? I keep trying to find a better cable solution than the one I used in that picture. I don't suppose you know where you can get the OTG and standard USB mini-B in a single short cable do you?

Ermmm... I would say quite a number of weeks as I cant even remember how long I have owned the edac. Your photo does make me miss my Amperiors which I sold and replaced shortly afterwards with DT1350 facelifts.

And yup, mine does come with the gold rcas round the back. It does look a little cheap tacked on though, but it adds functionality for the same price so can't complain. Great value dac, to the point where I am considering selling my Xonar STX and using this on my pc instead.

As for shorter cables...... ebay is your friend here. I have an otg cable and a usb cable that are roughly 3-4 inches long a piece. Makes for a short but not too short overall length for the complete connection. There isn't a one cable solution unfortunately. I bought a micro to mini usb cable and it doesn't work. It needs the OTG element for it to work which is frustrating. Best compromise was to find short OTG and short usb.

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I have yet to hear the DT1350s, I'm very curious actually as they get mentioned a lot, but I get from what you said that you prefered the Amperiors? or just for some things? I do really like the Amperiors, more so than the Momentums, despite their very boomy bass.

I went off on an OTG cable hunting mission after I wrote that and I think I found something interesting...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00DCZWIY6/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a single cable with what looks like the correct connectors, I have ordered it so I will report back when it turns up. The only down side is that the shortest one I could find was 50cm :(

bobshek

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
Bass is more solid, deeper, and less boomy on the DT1350. Treble isn't as crisp though which I liked about the Amperiors. Also the DT1350 aren't as comfortable, even with the new facelift headband and pads (I previously owned the originals). Shame I cant combine the best qualities of the two! Still, happy with them for now as after some adjustment on my ears (clamping force is quite strong) they do sound really good, and the new coiled cable is great for convenience.

Love my momentums though... even with cramming my earlobes in. They can get to decent levels without an amp. Think I listen at level 11 through my Note 2 with the momentums, 13 when I had my Amperiors, and 14-15 with the DT1350.

That cable sounds interesting and I've never come across it before... I've got a single cable with those connectors on either end but it didnt have the OTG wording in the title, and doesn't work when plugged in..... let me know if it works... if so I'm buying one!

Ps: Just had a read through the reviews on Amazon for that cable... looks like you might have bought the right one.... but it's a bit of a minefield out there as Lindy seem to do some that aren't your usual micro USB...... shame about the lengh though.... 10cm would have been ideal for me.

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for telling me your thoughts on the DT1350, I am intrigued for sure. I need to get through my current review gear before I can look at them, but hopefully won't take too long...

I do wish the Note 2 (and all Galaxy phones for that matter) went louder than it does. Some headphones just can't be driven easily direct and compared the iPhone 4 it only feels about only 60-70% as loud :(.

I will report back about that Lindy cable as soon as I get it (hopfully tomorrow). I also found two other places that might be able to make the cable to order, these are:

http://www.mimic-cables.com/ (funky colour options, but are in the US so might be tricky to get here)

http://toxic-cables.co.uk/

I have emailed them both so will let you know what they say.

bobshek

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
Make sure you get the facelift DT1350..... soundwise theyre the same but the new headband and ear cushions do make them a little more comfy. If you can get the coiled cable version.... added bonus of a long stretchy cable!

Note 2 and actually all Samsung phones have sucky headphone outputs. Having to go upto 95% to get to a decent output level on compact on ears is a joke.

My wife's 4S does the same volume level at about 60% and my ipad 3 about 50%.

It's not always convenient to carry my EDAC / Alo RX everywhere, so for trips where I'm moving around different offices a lot my CIEMs are the things I grab in the morning. Carrying a DAP with a decent volume output also isn't the best option for me either, as I already have a work bberry, laptop, wireless card, several PSUs etc etc...... and it all get's flipping heavy when you add it all together.

Do let me know how you get on with the cable? It's not like my current one is a huge issue.... but having a nice streamlined one without the bulky USB male/female bit in the middle would be 'nice to have'.

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Again, thanks for the info about the DT1350. I don't get on well with coiled cables though, why do you say that one is better?

I feel your pain with the Galaxy volume and carrying around the E-DAC. I guess the most convinient combination would be the new V-Moda VAMP Versa? But I don't think it's that great value - like most iPhone supporting DAC/amps. I keep looking at high-end DAPs like the iBasso DX100 and the Colorfly C4, but they are huge, awkward to use and last next to no time on battery life, which I think would ultimately annoy the hell out of me. I might spend that kind of money if they were the perfect device, but they really don't seem to be.

I haven't got much more news on the cables yet. The Lindy one was only shipped today, so I might get that next week. The Mimic cables sounds the most promising and I have put in an order for one of those already. Toxic cables have yet to reply to my email request 3 days later... yawn! I did find another place selling ones that look really nice, but they are not cheap - http://forzaaudioworks.com/en/product.php?id_product=55

bobshek

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
Overall cable length is still only about a meter. Cable thickness isn't that thick and the coil is small and dense..... makes for not much bulk.... bot added length/flexibility. Each to their own though but I like the added convenience for no additional cost.

Don't really want to carry yet another item around with me so I just continue to hope that Samsung get their act together and provide a higher output from their high end Galaxy phones. I looked at some of those DAPS a while ago, but they just don't seem so user friendly as my Note 2 or ipod. Just annoying that larger headphones are so popular now, but manufacturers (Samsung's not the only one) don't take that into account and still provide a weak headphone out. Not that my iems sound bad, but I would like the option to take large over ears and drive them to decent levels just using my phone.

Let me know about the cables. I still need a decent length of at least 5 inches or so as it makes it convenient to change tracks / album without having to pick up my phone, EDAC and amp all connected together.

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Oh yes, sorry! I got it on Friday I think. It works prefectly and is nicely made. 50cm is a bit long for what I want it for most of the time, but it does come in handy when I want to keep using the phone. Well worth £7, got directly from Lindy in the end.

I also finally got a response from Toxic Cables, they have some iBasso short cables for £5 or they can make up a pretty one for £50, I haven't got back to them about that yet. Needless to say £50 is a bit much for me to splash out on something just to mention it in a review.

bobshek

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
quadpatch said:
Oh yes, sorry! I got it on Friday I think. It works prefectly and is nicely made. 50cm is a bit long for what I want it for most of the time, but it does come in handy when I want to keep using the phone. Well worth £7, got directly from Lindy in the end.

I also finally got a response from Toxic Cables, they have some iBasso short cables for £5 or they can make up a pretty one for £50, I haven't got back to them about that yet. Needless to say £50 is a bit much for me to splash out on something just to mention it in a review.

I might grab myself one of the Lindy ones as it seems useable for days where I'm listening to music but sending emails from my phone etc.

Shame it wasn't like 15-20cm.... that would've been perfect for my needs.

Still, £7 is a heck of a lot easier to swallow than £50..... considering the DAC was only £100!

Curious about the iBasso ones though..... £5 is cost of a pint so would happily buy one of them if similar to the Lindy but much shorter. Let me know more details if you have it?

Thanks again for the update QP.

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
No worries, glad to help... I don't have any more details about the iBasso cable, but it will be a very basic one for that money. You will have to get in touch with Toxic by email for that as it's not listed on their website. I ordered a 10cm custom cable from Mimic Cables though and that wasn't too expensive. I will let you know what that's like and send some pictures when it turns up.

bobshek

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
Just picked up a Lindy cable.

Works a charm and the length even though it says 50cm is more like 40cm. Actually perfect for my needs as i can pick up and use my phone without picking up the dac and amp.

Quite happy with this until I get round to ordering a nice Mimic one.

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Hey Bob, nice one! I use my Lindy cable quite a bit with the phone now too. A week or so ago I had an email from Mimic cables saying they had finished and shipped the cable i ordered, but I haven't got it yet. I guess it should turn up any time now. When it does arrive I will post something else.

bobshek

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
What options did you choose for your mimic cable and what did that eventually cost including shipping?

Considering getting one too but I'm actually quite happy with the Lindy one. Length is actually usable day to day when I need to pick up my phone every so often.

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
The cable that I chose was a 10cm OTG with a royal blue braided cover. The full cost including shipping was £16.62. It turned up today actually and I am really pleased with it. The connections and cable are really neat. I can't believe the size of the box it came in :p.

I'm sorry I didn't have a photo ready but I came home with a stonking headache. I gave it a quick test on my phone and then sat in a dark room for a few hours. On Saturday I will break out the macro lens for some proper photos, but I might take a quick snap of it tomorrow, watch this space...

A

Anonymous

That's a migraine mate, not a headache. That cable sounds interesting.

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
OneBoxSystem said:
That's a migraine mate, not a headache. That cable sounds interesting.
Yeah, you're probably right... Anyway, the cable - here it is:

EDD_7263.jpg

Here is a close up of the cable itself. Mini-B connection on the left and Micro-B on the right. I like how the plastic has little arrows on it to show you which is the top, but as you'll see by the next picture the devices you use my not put them the right way up (Epiphany E-DAC).

EDD_7265.jpg

This cable length is 10cm (about 4" for Americans, so useful for asking to Mimic Cables). I really love the colour options that Mimic Cables give you here. I can't even remember why I chose blue, but it was before I got a red metal back for my phone (never mind :p). I paid for this cable, it wasn't given to me for a review or anything, so you should know I am bigging up Mimic Cables here because I want to, I thought they did a really good job. You may think that over £16 is a lot for such a small cable, but I challenge you to find something similar for less. The difficulty here is getting the correct connections, at the right size and the cable being an OTG. If you're connecting a DAC to your phone like this it needs to be an OTG cable and not a normal USB (the connections inside the cable are slightly different.

So if you want a cable like this or just a very specificly cool USB cable check these guys out... http://www.mimic-cables.com/

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts