admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Afternoon

Has anyone experienced this format? It is said to close the gap between CD and SACD about 90% and stands for 'Super High Material CD'. All discs are playable on a standard red book player.

The first 12 Rush CDs will be out soon as a Japanese import and I wondered if it was worth replacing my remastered versions with these?

Any thoughts welcome.
emotion-5.gif
Perhaps the WHF staff have experienced them on their travels?

Thanks

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
One of several 'upgraded CD' formats coming out of Japan at the moment.

Have just slapped in an order for some SHM-CD, HQCD and Blu-Spec CD samplers, so watch this space for some thoughts on the differences, if any, the various technologies make.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Andrew, look forward to that and will keep my wallet closed until then.........

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
I look forward to your thoughts on these too, Andrew.

Then again, if they are any good, I'd most likely just end up buying a selection of recordings by artists I don't normally listen to. As I did with both HDCD and SACD
emotion-43.gif
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Nice one Mike!

Andrew, do you have a timescale for when you will be able to post reviews of any of these new formats?

Thanks

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

One of several 'upgraded CD' formats coming out of Japan at the moment.

Have just slapped in an order for some SHM-CD, HQCD and Blu-Spec CD samplers, so watch this space for some thoughts on the differences, if any, the various technologies make.

The perks of the job huh!

T

the record spot

Are there any copies of The Yes Album on this format by any chance? Reason I ask is I have a stunning copy - first generation disc - which has a superb mastering. Totally blew me away when I heard it, but the end result is about the best argument for digital I've heard yet. Think it was done by Barry Diament, but the sleeve gives nothing away.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the timescale Andrew.

I bought one anyway as a test myself - £22 total including P&P. It is Permanent Waves by Rush. I have the standard CD and Mobile Fidelity Sounds Labs Gold version so should be able to test quite well.....

Tonya

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
Talking of formats, am I the only one collecting DTS Audio albums? Just picked up the MJ HIStory double (RIP) and the sound quality in 5.1 is truly astonishing.
Most of the Elton John and Paul McCartney back catalogue is available, as is The Beatles White Album.
To acheive the sound quality they did back then is amazing.
Pink Floyd is also a big supporter of the DTS format, thank goodness!

If you ever come across any of these discs in your local record store, try one.
You won't be disappointed and you'll probably get hooked on the experience of being totally immersed in the sound field.
Admittedly the albums sound different, but that's a good thing.
Youtend to hear instruments and phrases that had been buried in the original two channel mixes, everything appears much more open when they have 5.1 channels to play with . . . .

A

Anonymous

sound_wave:
Some more information regarding SHM-CD's from Echoloft (Most famous audiophile forum in Singapore)

http://www.echoloft.com/hifi-forum/index.php?topic=18106.0

Nothing special really, if you're willing to pay double for SHM-cd's, it may sound just a tad better...never tried it though.

Thanks for that. I'll post my test results here when the disc comes.

T

the record spot

Andrew Everard:Yes, among the planned Japan-only releases on the new better CD formats are the complete Yes catalogue, and the entire Rick Wakeman one, too...

Thanks Andrew - that makes interesting reading; will be VERY keen to hear TYA on this format. With that and the Steve Hoffman "Pet Sounds" out on Audio Fidelity (finally....I pre-ordered it back in February) this next week, there could be some serious listening sessions coming up soon!

idc

Interesting thread, I had no idea that there was such a market for higher quality CDs. Does anyone think that you would hear a difference between the two types having imported them and created a music file for itunes etc?

Thanks

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Not sure - the explanations all seem to be about the changes making the discs easier to read accurately, which I guess would be of more advantage in the real-time reading environment of a CD player, rather than in a ripping process where there's the potential advantage of enhanced error correction and repeated passes to ensure the disc is stored accurately.

idc

Thanks Andrew. Are these new formats that are being produced as CD attempts to fight back against the rise in download and streamed music SQ? Or are they the niche market CDs that you see on Amazon costing £20 or so, when the normal price is £7.99?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Neither: at the moment they're limited to the Japanese market, which has always had endless new editions of discs claiming better sound quality, and tweaks on the CD format.

I guess there are more Japanese audiophiles willing to pay for potentially better-sounding discs, as I suggested in my blog a while back

A

Anonymous

Graham_Thomas:I'll post my test results here when the disc comes.

Well, at first play not that impressed (although impressed with 3 working day delivery from Japan). Sounds cleaner than the non remastered German CD, a bit dull and lacking in treble, but makes my Mobile Fidelity Gold sound absolutely wonderful!!!!

Caveat is that it is a 29 year old recording. It will be worth reading the results of Andrew's test discs.

emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

For news on this and the various new CD 'technologies' or materials from the What Hifi team, see Andrew's blog here.

Thanks. Interesting reading.

A

Anonymous

I haven't had a chance to listen yet, but I bought a bunch of these recently. Hopefully I'll be able to listen soon and post my impressions. The discs I bought are:

The Led Zeppelin SHM box set

GN'R - the entire catalog, including Chinese Democracy, minus The Spaghetti Incident?

Aerosmith - Get a Grip

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts