Shall I chop in my AV Setup for Sonos?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
If you mean for a Sonos PlayBar setup then in a word: no.

In more than one word: Hell, NO!

The Playbar is an interesting upgrade for TV audio that also plays music that you can take further if you wish, it is NOT a replacement for a proper AV setup, it only has one input (an optical connection), so doesn't handle HD audio and on top of that it doesn't handle DTS at all, so blu-ray audio in 5.1 is a complete non-starter, unless you buy the one blu-ray player on the market that will transcode DTS to DD on the fly (I *think* it's one of the Samsungs).

EDIT: And that "recommendation" is coming from the biggest Sonos fan on this forum...

danbeatles78

May 8, 2011
Visit site
cool thanks mate, really appreciate your opinion

for some reason it didn't post up my original comment

my home setup is Yamaha RXV673 and Q Acoustics 2020i,2010i and 2000ci and Q Sub

danbeatles78

May 8, 2011
Visit site
that's cool i'll stick with what i have then and add sonos in the other rooms using the connect

i wanted a non-biased opinion as i knew that would be the correct answer but just needed reassuring

thanks

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
danbeatles78 said:
that's cool i'll stick with what i have then and add sonos in the other rooms using the connect

Well, the Connect would plug into your existing AV amp as another source and give you Sonos functionality in THAT room, no others, if you want additional rooms then you'll need additional Sonos gear.

skippy

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
danbeatles78 said:

Well, the Connect would plug into your existing AV amp as another source and give you Sonos functionality in THAT room, no others, if you want additional rooms then you'll need additional Sonos gear.

Not necessarily, the Connect has 3 outputs that are on at the same time.

I use the RCA's to to main floor, optical to the garage and coax to the AV amp in the basement.

True (before you say), this is not 'true'multiroom as you can't control each zone independantly, but I like the way the same music is on at the same time.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
skippy said:
The_Lhc said:
danbeatles78 said:

Not necessarily, the Connect has 3 outputs that are on at the same time.

I use the RCA's to to main floor, optical to the garage and coax to the AV amp in the basement.

Yes I know that but it's not a common arrangement and requires running long cables around and having existing amps and speakers in the other locations. Of course he could also acheive the same thing in another room using the zone 2 output on his AV amp.

True (before you say), this is not 'true'multiroom as you can't control each zone independantly, but I like the way the same music is on at the same time.

That is one of the strengths of Sonos though, that multiple zones are perfectly synced, so you could still do that as well as playing different things in each room should you so wish.

moosey

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Agree with the Master of Sonos (LHC).….. Buy a connect and keep existing set up. A second advantage is that you gain an Ethernet port within you AV set up...ideal for sky box or bd player .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts