SHALL I ADD A SECOND SUBWOOFER?

asif

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
Hi everyone. Thankyou all for the feedback in relation to the query with regards to the krp 600 amd the the lx6090. Ive just recieved my new 60 inch kuro and my set up is as follows: front left and right, monitor audio rs8, centre is a monitor audio gslcr, sub is a monitor audio rsw12 and the rears are monitor audio gsfx (dipole speakers). Onkyo 905 amp and the denon bt2500 bluray spinner. Like many i have my sub sat inbetween the panel and my front right speaker. Ive read before that with the bass from a sub, its non directional so its best to find the sweet spot. However its been suggested to me from my local dealer (hifi that is!) that it may be an idea to incorporate a second sub into the setup. My room isnt massive around 6metres wide and 5metres long ( approx 4 metres from the screen) but ive started toying with the idea of placing a second sub behind the sofa..and setting it up so it takes care of the shallow base where as the sub at the front will be set to deal with the longer and deeper bass.

I would very much like the opinions of my fellow readers on this one..shall i go for a second sub? and if i go along with the idea shall i go with a front firing sub which would have to be placed at one of the either ends of the sofa? or go for a downward firing sub and place it immediately behind the sofa?! the chaps at the dealer s have said they will loan me a couple of subs and so far i have the tannoy ts 12, b&w asw610 and the mj acoustics pro 50 mk 2 in mind. Over to you readers, what do we think?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
asif:
Hi everyone. Thankyou all for the feedback in relation to the query with regards to the krp 600 amd the the lx6090. Ive just recieved my new 60 inch kuro and my set up is as follows: front left and right, monitor audio rs8, centre is a monitor audio gslcr, sub is a monitor audio rsw12 and the rears are monitor audio gsfx (dipole speakers). Onkyo 905 amp and the denon bt2500 bluray spinner. Like many i have my sub sat inbetween the panel and my front right speaker. Ive read before that with the bass from a sub, its non directional so its best to find the sweet spot. However its been suggested to me from my local dealer (hifi that is!) that it may be an idea to incorporate a second sub into the setup. My room isnt massive around 6metres wide and 5metres long ( approx 4 metres from the screen) but ive started toying with the idea of placing a second sub behind the sofa..and setting it up so it takes care of the shallow base where as the sub at the front will be set to deal with the longer and deeper bass.

I would very much like the opinions of my fellow readers on this one..shall i go for a second sub? and if i go along with the idea shall i go with a front firing sub which would have to be placed at one of the either ends of the sofa? or go for a downward firing sub and place it immediately behind the sofa?! the chaps at the dealer s have said they will loan me a couple of subs and so far i have the tannoy ts 12, b&w asw610 and the mj acoustics pro 50 mk 2 in mind. Over to you readers, what do we think?

Absolutely no need. If you are not getting enough from your RSW12 in that size room, you have it set up wrong or the settings need tweaking. Your room is a similar size to mine, my receiver is no where near as powerful as the 905 and I have my sub settings on the receiver at -10db (the range is -20 to +10). For the record I have my crossover set at 80hz.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
I have an Onkyo 875 with the MA RSW12 which is in the corner of my 26 x 12 ft room and the sound is fabulous. I certainly would not need a second sub and am glad I live in a detatched house when the sub gets going. I think you may need to find the best place in the room for the RSW12 and you may not need a second one, or as Gerardasnails suggests tweak the setting on it.

A

Anonymous

Check out the below link. I was having a nightmare with placing my sub. But this advice sorted it out.

http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/speaker-setup-guidelines/crawling-for-bass-subwoofer-placement

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
asif: However its been suggested to me from my local dealer (hifi that is!) that it may be an idea to incorporate a second sub into the setup.

I wonder what could possibly have made him suggest that?

asif

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
Thank you for your feedback everyone especially le vicar, that link was very helpful and informative. Its not that the woofer doesnt rumble, rumble she does but it needs a bit of fine tuning. Thankyou gerrardasnails and lost angeles for your input. ive had a play with the crossover and im going to experiment further and see what happens. Im a bit restricted location wise as to where i can place it but will move it around and see how it sounds. Thanks again all, much appreciated

A

Anonymous

I disagree. I think for a home cinema setup to get THX sort of rumbles they need to be powerful and with low distortion. 2 subwoofers working in EXACT tandem can create this. I have 2 big Monitor Audio FB212s to get the cinema levels and you can see my limited space in my pictures that some people would consider it silly. But if you like movies at a loud volume & excellent low distortion levels - Just a thought anyway...

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Vinny7:I disagree. I think for a home cinema setup to get THX sort of rumbles they need to be powerful and with low distortion. 2 subwoofers working in EXACT tandem can create this. I have 2 big Monitor Audio FB212s to get the cinema levels and you can see my limited space in my pictures that some people would consider it silly. But if you like movies at a loud volume & excellent low distortion levels - Just a thought anyway...

I've just watched WALL:E with the kids on Bluray. I have the volume at -26db and it was loud and the sub was sounding superb. If I was watching alone, I might have gone to -20db but no higher. Throughout the film I was waiting for the missus to moan "turn it down"! If I had two RSW12s in my room, it would be too much.

A

Anonymous

Agree with the guys that have a well set up system.

The bass levels on films through the fronts and sub shake the room effortlessly in the right moments.

Decent mains conditioning made a huge difference to the detail and effects.

Tweaking / adjusting your set up will make the gains you are looking for IMHO.

A

Anonymous

I agree with your points as well - set up and integration are key.

Its just that a second sub cannot be discounted when you take factors like room size, room dynamics, distortion levels of the sub at the volume most likely played at.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Vinny7:
I agree with your points as well - set up and integration are key.

Its just that a second sub cannot be discounted when you take factors like room size, room dynamics, distortion levels of the sub at the volume most likely played at.

I agree but the OP stated his room side at the top and although it's a decent size room it's not like a double reception room where 2 subs might be needed.

A

Anonymous

One really good sub is better than two so so ones! better selling the MA and get something like an svs pc13 ultra! If one rsw 12 can manage say 25hz two of em will manage no better, maybe get higher SPL but thats about it! £1200 on the svs will get you 15hz preformance higher SPL more volume ect ect!

Dont take any offence the MA's a great sub im just saying that one better sub is the best option imo.

asif

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
wowsers! ive had a read of all the responses on the thread. I think everyone has a bit of a point in the comments theyve made and it does fall in to a bit of personal preference to. I had my sub originally set to similar settings that mr nails has his on having read a thread at the time i bought my sub. The sub does send a kick..however im not shy with the volume and some individuals might find the level i have mine at distressing, however at the same time i dont want distortion..i just love hearing the bangs and explosions at a loud, feet jingling level, without the distortion. I moved my sub to the side of the sofa this evening. The feedback from the low frequencies was ace. I had a play about with the front speaker settings (rs8's) so the built in woofers were more active, however not to the point at which the sound lost detail or distortion occurred. id rather the sub deal with the low frequencys from around a 100-120 hz and let the fronts concentrate on the higher level frequencys.

From a personal opinion, i think there is the potential to add another subwoofer..as long as both are in synch, the effect would just be greater. However, i dont think it would have to be more powerful than the current sub i have..maybe on a par or even a little less powerful. Its the placement which would have to be correct and thats down to experimenting and finding the right spot.. or what souns right to an individual. The rsw12 is front firing..id be curious as to how a downward firing sub behind the sofa would sound and move my current sub back into its original spot. Unfortunately, the curiousity will have to linger as ive the whole of the kitchen to tile first..then after that, i'll continue to experiment,maybe with a downward firing sub or front firing sub from from the lower and of the b&w range ( asw608-610). Thankyou all for your input, like i said, i think everyone has made a valid point in some way, shape or form and it does fall to personal hearing taste to!

TRENDING THREADS