Setup suggestion

fjanisze

Jan 16, 2023
Visit site
Hello,

I might use some help from someone that has a better understanding of the matter, I'm struggling to decide on how to proceed with my first Hi-Fi tiny setup (Tiny due to budget and space in my apartment), and my options are:

• NAD C700
  • Yamaha MultiCast WXC-50 + Rotel RB-1552 MkII
  • Just go cheap and easy and get a Bluesound Powernode
For both, I plan to buy a pair of ELAC Uni-Fi Reference B6 and a Yamaha NS-SW100 Subwoofer (That most probably will use while watching a movie, from time to time).

I was reading that in general having a real amplifier (instead of a device that does it all, source+amplification) is better in terms of quality, that's why I did opt for the Yamaha MultiCast + Rotel Amp as a second choice for the setup, in theory, it should have better quality and it should allow me in the future to extend or improve the setup, with better speakers.

I plan mostly to listen to music from streaming services, and I want to have the setup connected to my PC (which will run Tidal or will work as a movie player), other connectivity options are nice to have and I'm sure I'll use the mobile app quite a lot as well.

Well, I guess my real question is: Does it make sense to go with the WXC-50 + The Amp, or there's not too much quality improvement if compared with the C700?

Thanks a lot

fjanisze

Jan 16, 2023
Visit site
The issue is you mention using a subwoofer for movies.... Not too sure how you plan to implement this.
Hmm, both the NAD C700 and the Yamaha WXC-50 seems to have a subwoofer output (assuming active sub like the Yamaha ns-sw100) , if my pc plays the movie and I stream the audio to one of those two devices (I’ve a usb to spifd converter) then it should work.. I guess 😅

I agree that the traditional Rotel power amp is potentially more versatile than the NAD with its modern class D amp, though the NAD probably has a better interface if you’re using an app.

The Yamaha has been well regarded but for a streaming device it’s getting on a bit. It must be 7 years old now, so check it handles all the services you want - like, say, Spotify - as well as the input sockets. Would be worth checking with your dealer the match with the Rotel sensitivity as your volume control is in the Yamaha.

fjanisze

Jan 16, 2023
Visit site
Thanks for the comments, I was at the shop and asked the same questions I posted here, and they politely told me given the budget the c700 is probably the all-around better option.

Sure, a separate amp will bring more quality to the setup, but then I'll need something a bit more expensive than the ELAC Uni-Fi Reference B6, also the WXC-50 is getting a bit outdated. Also, the C700 can be used as source and preamp is one day i decide to buy a separate amp.

Does that make sense?

Reactions: matthewpianist

matthewpianist

Thanks for the comments, I was at the shop and asked the same questions I posted here, and they politely told me given the budget the c700 is probably the all-around better option.

Sure, a separate amp will bring more quality to the setup, but then I'll need something a bit more expensive than the ELAC Uni-Fi Reference B6, also the WXC-50 is getting a bit outdated. Also, the C700 can be used as source and preamp is one day i decide to buy a separate amp.

Does that make sense?

Makes a lot of sense to me, and NAD's current kit is very impressive - probably what I would have if I wasn't so happy with the LEAK stuff.

Does that make sense?
Yes. I almost said I’d choose the NAD - but wanted to set out the pros and cons and let you decide. I wouldn’t say that you need more expensive speakers, but NAD or Rotel could handle better ones if your funds allow.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts