setting up wifi music from scratch

timwileman

Mar 19, 2008
Visit site
Hi All,

what i want to do is basically stream my itunes on my PC to my HiFi as well as stream internet radio?

i was thinking squeeze box duet and get a NAS so i can stream without leaving my PC on?

so questions:-

is the duet any good, any rivals you could recommend? can it stream all the itunes file formats?

also any NAS recommendations? wont need to be huge storage.

Cheers in advance

Scissor_digits

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
For NAS I can recommend Synology. I have a DS210j

You buy the empty NAS then get the disks seperately meaning you can select to suit you budget and capacity requirements.

They have a full list of compatible disks on their website. I've got 2 x Samsung
HD154UI 1.5TB running in RAID 1 in mine.

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
timwileman:Hi All, what i want to do is basically stream my itunes on my PC to my HiFi as well as stream internet radio? i was thinking squeeze box duet and get a NAS so i can stream without leaving my PC on? so questions:- is the duet any good, any rivals you could recommend? can it stream all the itunes file formats? also any NAS recommendations? wont need to be huge storage. Cheers in advance

I have the duet and I am quite happy with it. Mine is set up wireless from router to duet and sometimes I get into problems with connection but it's rare tbh. If you can I would recommend a wired connection as I hear reliability is much improved this way (not viable in my set up as router is in a different room to duet) Don't let this put you off though!

For the price I don't think it can be beaten. I didn't buy the controller, I use an iPod Touch which is amazing (and cheaper) Only thing is.... it is a bit of a pain to configure the duet to the router first time round without a controller (I have posted on here instructions on this though)

The squeezebox server handles iTunes AAC and Apple Lossless. It doesn't handle them raw, they are transcoded to FLAC on the fly before being sent to the Duet. Due to this I have had syncing issues with iTunes content. If I have any files in this format I decode/encode them to FLAC files using dBpoweramp before hand.

I wholly recommend the NetgearReady Duo NAS - It comes with SB server pre-installed (which is a must) However it may be an old version but quite simple to upgrade - instructions available on the net. Mine came with a 500gb hard drive and I purchased another one with acts as a backup using the Duo's RAID technology.

Hope this helps.

Matt

Tonestar1

Airport express, Ipod touch but this will involve leaving the PC on. Cheap, cheerful and effective. Especially with a half decent dac.

Not a big fan of the squeezebox tbh. I compared with the Sonos and felt the Sonos blew it out the water as far as sound was concerned. I'd defo recommend demoing the squeezebox against the Sonos before buying

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
manicm:the_lhc:manicm:Get the new Squeezebox Touch - fully NAS compliant.
Can you provide some links for that? Because I'm still not sure, certainly isn't clear from logitech's website.

Click

Hmm, assume I'm an idiot (shouldn't be difficult), where exactly does it say Squeezecentre isn't required or that it works with any NAS?

fido87456

Jan 29, 2009
Visit site
As I understand it, the Squeezebox Touch (when it's finally released) has a mini version of Squeezecentre built into it, so you can just plug an external harddrive containing your music into it and thus avoid having to use a NAS or leave a PC on. If you wanted to use it with a NAS you would still need to choose a NAS that will run Squeezecentre, just as you would for the other Squeezebox models.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
fido87456:As I understand it, the Squeezebox Touch (when it's finally released) has a mini version of Squeezecentre built into it, so you can just plug an external harddrive containing your music into it and thus avoid having to use a NAS or leave a PC on. If you wanted to use it with a NAS you would still need to choose a NAS that will run Squeezecentre, just as you would for the other Squeezebox models.

Yes I suspected as much, be good to get that confirmed or otherwise. I'd be interested in this if I ever found any 24-bit downloads I actually wanted to listen to. Sonos can't handle that and probably won't for a little while to come.

A

Anonymous

Tonestar1:
....the Sonos blew it out the water as far as sound was concerned. I'd defo recommend demoing the squeezebox against the Sonos before buying

Did you go with Sonos in the end? Interested to hear how you got on as I've got a AVR350 too and thinking of using the digitial out from Sonos to the AVR digital input...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts