Setting up Minx 325 home cinema system with Denon 1912

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I have purchased CA min 20 - 3 numbers (Front and center) , and min10 - 2 numbers (surround) and Min 300 subwoofer. The AV receiver is Denon 1912.

I am not sure how to set this up like, what is the distance I have to place the front speakers, center, and how to place the surround speakers for the best performance?

Also the viewing distance is more than 12 feet, (10x22) living space.

what hight I should have the TV from floor? (Panasonic Plasma 42 inch) ?
Where should I place my front speaker how far from TV? and what hight?
Where should I place the surround? What ange and what hight?

I am using QED micro for speaker wires, and QED performance for the SUB.

Any suggestions from folks who have the Minx setup is much appriciated.

Regards,

SP

A

Anonymous

I don't have the CA Minx. but the general recommendation is to have the fronts with a seperation of between 22 - 30 degrees from your main seating position. So, if you were sitting at a distance of around 3m then distance between the two fronts would be around 2.5m - 3.0m apart, preferably centred either side of your tv, although no problem if they are placed a bit higher. The centre can sit either directly above or below the tv - I prefer to position the centre directly above.

The rears would generally have a greater seperation, say 4.0m - 5.0m apart, and they can often sound better placed higher, say 2 - 4 feet above seating ear position. Also, if wall mounted on a bracket they can be angled slightly downwards and inwards to suit your seating position if they are placed directly behind you, although if your room allows they can be placed more to the side and just behind the seating position (90 - 110 degrees).

Just for info, I did read an in-depth review of the Minx S325 on another site about 6 months ago and they said that the sound is greatly improved after 20 - 30 listening (night and day they said), so expect a bit of harshness/brightness from the speakers initially and they should settle down nicely. I think this bedding-in period is more important than usual when apllied to the Minx.

Hope this helps.

Paul.

A

Anonymous

Hi Paul,

Thank you for the reply and yes, finally I have the system setup. Could you reccomend what is the maximum volume in DB I can pump in on the Min20 (front, and center) and min 10 (surround) speakers connected to the Denon 1912? I assume the amp is powerful and may be over kill for the speakers. Can you reccomend? Or can any one reccomend? Right now I am playing at -30 db.

SP

A

Anonymous

nprathap,

I see that your speakers are rated at 50W for the rears and 75w for the fronts, so yes your amp is rated higher than both of those.

I am not an expert on this subject, but I know that other forum members have said not to worry too much about power ratings, so maybe other members can help you here.

For my speakers (rated at 100W, so matching my amp), I usually go no higher than -15dB, although I can easily accomodate 0dB and higher (which starts to get beyond my own comfort zone). I would have thought you could go to -20dB but would rather have other forum members comment on this. Alternatively, try stepping it up gradually on a loud movie soundtrack and listen for any distortion and back off slightly?

Paul.

A

Anonymous

Don´t worry to much about power rating on speakers, it´s not very important.

The Minx sattelites are fairly tough to drive but the impedance stays high. I suspect you need to crank the volume quite high on the Denon to reach reference levels.

If your worried about breaking the Minx then slowly increase volume, when it starts to distort stop and never cross that line. Chances are the sound level will be beyond comfort level when that happens.

Use a crossover of around 120-140hz to the sub. This will take a load of the amp and sattelites.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I am new to the whole home theatre setup. So I am not so good with the jargons... regarding the first point:

1 ) The Minx sattelites are fairly tough to drive but the impedance stays high. I suspect you need to crank the volume quite high on the Denon to reach reference levels.

2) If your worried about breaking the Minx then slowly increase volume, when it starts to distort stop and never cross that line. Chances are the sound level will be beyond comfort level when that happens.

I am playing the speakers with -20 DB, I am not playing louder as I fear it over load the speaker and break them.

An on the third point:

3) Use a crossover of around 120-140hz to the sub. This will take a load of the amp and sattelites.

How to set this feature? also the sub has volume, phase and gain. What is phase and gain do?

and one last question, when I switch on the AVR, there is a distortion sound on the speakers for a split second. I am not sure why it is happening...not sure if it is my setup causing it.

(I used audyssy to setup the speakers.)

-SP

A

Anonymous

Hi!

Regarding -20db on your receiver:

Do you want to play louder?

If yes: Increase volume, when you hear distortion it´s time to stop. You´ve reached the limit of your speakers/receiver.

If no: Don´t! ;)

If you run audyssey the crossover point should end up around 120-140hz. The satellites should be set to "small". The subs crossover should be disabled or set to maximum before running audyssey. The phase should be left at 0 since audyssey sets the phase by adjusting the distance setting. Gain i don´t know, personally it sound like something you shouldn´t use but your manual will tell you what to do. Sometimes audyssey gets it wrong so it´s necessary to check the settings. I don´t own a Denon so can´t help you with the menues. Re-run the calibration after the run in period, your speakers will change over the next month.

Good luck!

A

Anonymous

I have connected the speakers, and works good. Used Audyssy to setup. when I turn on the power it creates a sound as speakers are powered (sounds like tek) may be the power hits the speakrs, not sure why it happens. Speakers are selected as small -5 DB for front -4.5 for center and +7 for sub and -2.5 for the rear while audyssy setup). is this nominal to hear the surge in sound while turning on the AMP?

-SP

TRENDING THREADS