Setanta fights for survival, but not in administration

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
We've just updated our news story about troubled Irish sports TV broadcaster Setanta. The company says it's not in administration, and is looking at ways to secure the future of the business, but has stopped taking new subscriptions.

A

Anonymous

alienrik not a nice thing to say what about all the people that will lose
there jobs and all the football clubs that will lose there money
with broken contracts some clubs could fold through this
i hope they can come through this problem and survive this..

A

Anonymous

I agree with Alienrik to a certain extent; it just winds me up that I must pay another £12 a month on top of the £60 I already pay Sky just to watch an extra few football games a season with a shocking broadcast quality. Although, I must stress that I dont want to see anyone lose there job and at the end of the day I do have a choice and I dont have to subscribe to Setanta.

A

Anonymous

thats a bit brutal hoping they go under! I can't see them surviving though, they seem to have done a Leeds FC special and bet on the subscriber base which hasn't worked at all well. They've also lost the "good" packages so they have no top tier premier league games now.

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
I agree that the quality is shocking but my concern is if they go, there are less mainstream sports that they broadcast that probably wouldn't be picked up by the primary broadcasters. We subscribe to Setanta for the sole reason that it's the only channel that provides coverage for my Aussie wife to watch her AFL matches.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
dvdaudio:

alienrik not a nice thing to say what about all the people that will lose
there jobs and all the football clubs that will lose there money
with broken contracts some clubs could fold through this
i hope they can come through this problem and survive this..

Ah all those poor hard up football league teams.
All the chairmen have had there annual Football League meeting in Portugal this week.
If they are hard up why didn't they stay in England.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
I said what I said not because of the poor 'nice' people that could lose their jobs (far from it ~ a lot of my friends are out of work etc). But because of the truly awful way they do business. I go on another forum and have seen HUNDREDS of people having issues attempting to unsubscribe from them. They just keep taking the money and doing nothing to help (And im talking about MONTHS of problems, not a day or 2)

Just do a google search for 'unable to cancel setanta' for proof

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
aliEnRIK:

I said what I said not because of the poor 'nice' people that could lose their jobs (far from it ~ a lot of my friends are out of work etc). But because of the truly awful way they do business. I go on another forum and have seen HUNDREDS of people having issues attempting to unsubscribe from them. They just keep taking the money and doing nothing to help (And im talking about MONTHS of problems, not a day or 2)

Just do a google search for 'unable to cancel setanta' for proof

there are a lot - you have to do it in writing and they say its 30 days after your next payment after they have responded - doesn't matter what date you put on your letter - they seem to be very slow at opening their post - it was worse as used to be 60 days but then they reduced it - you can also cancel now by email but still 30 days after your payment after they respond

i got annoyed as did everything by the book - wrote and emailed let them take my payment and then cancelled before the next one - didn't stop them sending me 3 threatening letter about cancelling my direct debit even though they had it in writing and had responded to me in writing acknowledging my cancellation - guess two different departments

A

Anonymous

Haha, thats funny and so true Alienrik!

I tried cancelling before; i was on hold for 1 hour, 10mins at 30p a minute from my mobile (cost me more to cancel). Once I got through and tried to cancel they still failed to do so - still kept taking money from my bank. In the end I cancelled my DD which was followed by about 8 letters from setanta threatening legal action against me and about 30 text messages asking me to call them ... why couldnt they just f**king call me??? Anyway, I ignored the lot and it appeared to go away. It must have anyway cos I signed back up again in March to catch the premiership title run in - they were happy to start taking my money again with no questions asked.

A

Anonymous

I've never been keen on the whole sports subscription thing.
Be it Sky, Setanta or who ever.
Although Setanta offer what the subsribers want, it's a cost on top of an already cost to those that like sports and pay the extra with Sky for instance to have sport channels.
I personally do not have the sports package with sky due to the fact that if there's anything worth watching it will either be pay per view or on the BBC/ITV or even eurosport.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
andyb1984:I agree with Alienrik to a certain extent; it just winds me up that I must pay another £12 a month on top of the £60 I already pay Sky just to watch an extra few football games a season with a shocking broadcast quality. Although, I must stress that I dont want to see anyone lose there job and at the end of the day I do have a choice and I dont have to subscribe to Setanta.

"I must pay another £12 a month"? You choose to pay that, no one is forcing you. I pay it also but I've been quite impressed with Setanta and the news programme especially. As a UFC fan, I am intrigued as to what happens next.

Sorry Andy, just noticed your admission at the end - take it all back!

A

Anonymous

I never bothered with subscribing, it just seemed too much on top of SKY.

I think they would have done better if they'd offered pay-per-view on matches in the way Premiership Plus used to work. You could subscribe for the season (signing-up early for £50) or pay for just those matches you wanted to see, originally at £5 but later a still very reasonable £8 /match.

You could argue that I could have subscribed for a onth when I knew there was a match I wanted to see and then cancel again but as this thread has shown unsubscribing was not easy (and experience taught me it was likely to be the case). The additional benefit to Setanta of having a PPV option would have meant that should any fixture they had turn out to be of particular interest such as title chasing or relegation battling teams they would pull in additional revenue for that match. Missed opportunity lads...

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
You could pay-per-game to watch Setanta online (well, technically I think it bought you a contract-free month's subscription): I did this for an England game once.....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts