Serious question, for Andrew regarding the Naim HDX

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

fr0g:jules153:fr0g:jules153:HDX -vs- CDP. Isn't it like comparing a DVD recorder to a DVD player at the same price? i.e. different functionality

HDX -vs- Macbook/Dac/etc. Isn't that like comparing a Arcam solo to seperates? i.e. convinience factor

jules.

No. The HDD should be there in order to playback at a higher fidelity, as it is a far better playback mech than a CD transport.

I imagine thats what the idea is. £4500 is hardly 'convenience' territory...

I disagree Frog. The HDD in the HDX is there to give increased functionality - ripping CDs, storing, playing 96kHz files. It also has network functionality, Gracenote etc. etc. These extras are not designed to give better sound quality when playing 16bit/44kHz 'CDs'.

jules.

For £4500 it ought to be.

Ought to be what? Better than a £4.5k Cd player? That's like saying a Yamaha CDRHD1500 should sound better than a Rega Apollo.

jules.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
jules153:fr0g:jules153:fr0g:jules153:HDX -vs- CDP. Isn't it like comparing a DVD recorder to a DVD player at the same price? i.e. different functionality

HDX -vs- Macbook/Dac/etc. Isn't that like comparing a Arcam solo to seperates? i.e. convinience factor

jules.

No. The HDD should be there in order to playback at a higher fidelity, as it is a far better playback mech than a CD transport.

I imagine thats what the idea is. £4500 is hardly 'convenience' territory...

I disagree Frog. The HDD in the HDX is there to give increased functionality - ripping CDs, storing, playing 96kHz files. It also has network functionality, Gracenote etc. etc. These extras are not designed to give better sound quality when playing 16bit/44kHz 'CDs'.

jules.

For £4500 it ought to be.

Ought to be what? Better than a £4.5k Cd player? That's like saying a Yamaha CDRHD1500 should sound better than a Rega Apollo.

jules.
Why do people do that (take someone elses point to an incorrect 'logical' conclusion, then put that incorrect conclusion up for scrutiny.!?
Did I say better than a £4500 CD player?
Nope. I originally mentioned around £4000, but if the level is at least at that of the £3000ish CDX2, then I would say it was about right, given the extra costs involved.

But I meant...
"Ought to be" "designed to give better sound quality when playing from the HDD".

John Duncan

Clare Newsome:
Thaiman:I just bought a HD music centre (MusicCast MCX2000)and very very please with the sound (through my DAC). I never ever thought I would go down this route but read some of Forums's posts make me made yet, another compulsive buy!

I could, of course, tell you many dedicated cd players, I used to own, that would out preform my present combo but then they are cost a lot more. As for transports are concern though, this is it....I am converted!

On a lighter note, great new Avatar shot, sir
emotion-21.gif

I think it's a bit unflattering.........

A

Anonymous

Reading back it looks like was a bad mood yesterday. Apologies.

jules.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts