Seperates Vs All-in-one

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I think in the 70's and 80's when the average home could get a really nice HiFi sound for not much money, separates kicked off. Amps such as the NAD 3020a and similar good quality budget speaker were great. Now with the advent of the ipod, WiFi, smart phones, ipod docks and netbooks etc the majority of the population can not really justify spending hundreds on separates. The sound might not be as good but it's far easier and cheaper to just use docking station or laptop for music listening and maybe some headphones. It's all about how much people are willing to spend on listening to music, and the amount is decreasing.

I still think theres a good reason to use separates. It all depends on the source you want to listen to. If it's AV you probably need more boxes, speakers and cables but if it is a simple two channel music system theres nothing bad about a CD player, amp and speakers separately. Thats only 2 boxes (doesn't take up much space) plus the speakers. In the next 5-10 years I hope there will be more active speakers on sale. There seems to be lots of cheap actives (usually close range monitors and desktop models) and then lots of expensive ones but not much in the low- middle range that can compete with a budget £300 passive speaker.

Another point is room size. If you need the music to fill a medium-large size room and possibly drive powerful sounding speakers then separates are far better than say a small Denon or Marantz integrated system.

Also if you are going second hand, separates are better for mix and match and also re-sale as well as being cheaper. More bang for your buck.

Lastly, if something goes wrong with an integrated it usually has to be taken down the tip but you wouldn't have to replace your whole setup if you are using separates.

T

the record spot

I can see the appeal of downsizing. If I went for an all-in-one system, it would likely be the Aura Note. Other than that, there'll come a time when the TV and the separates will need to come together a bit more, probably for smaller sized boxes. For now, separates are better for my requirements, but how much longer that'll be is another matter.

matthewpiano:Arising from Chebby's thread about downsizing his system, but not specifically with reference to his or anybody else's situation, how does everybody feel about this topic now? I'm starting to think that things are changing and, for the first time, I'm really starting to wonder whether integrated systems might be the future. Is there really any need for the big pile of boxes in the room any more? Is a good quality integrated system (say the Marantz M-CR603, Arcam Solo, or similar) partnered with quality speakers enough for most of us? How would the M-CR603 compare with 6003 CD and amp, for example? Is it a good opportunity to get past the equipment and focus on the music again? To stop worrying about cables and system matching and concentrate on the whole purpose of having a good system? My mind is mixed on these matters, but I'm interested to see how everyone feels about it.

The last time WHFI held their annual exhibition in Hammersmith (Novatel) in 2007 (I think), I cruised up to the Arcam Solo stand, opposite WHFI's desk, and had a chinwag with the rep there: "How does the Solo compare sound-wise with my A65 and 73T...?" I braced myself for typical sales patter, expecting to give me the chapter and verse on how superior the Solo is. He replied rather soberly. "If you have a small bedroom or suchlike, or limited space, the Solo is the better option. If space, however, isn't an issue then the A65/73T/MAs will produce a noticeable improvement."

Hope that answers some of your concerns.

A

Anonymous

igglebert:I downsized recently and upgraded at the same time! It's such a relief to get rid of the boxes and tidy up the room. If you can past the need to seperate all of the components, there's many excellent options available. I think igglebert has hit it right on the head here. Downsize to upgrade the quality, modern tech now makes it possible to give you a lot in a small package, now that really depends on what exactly you want your small package to do. Having agreed with that, i am still a firm believer in a single hi-fi unit being designed, tested and built to do one single thing, to the best of it,s ability. Seperates don,t have to be big and bulky. Go to www.patrickjames.co.uk//sugden-bijou-system and you can see what i am using. If your interested. john

johnnyjazz:igglebert:I downsized recently and upgraded at the same time! It's such a relief to get rid of the boxes and tidy up the room. If you can past the need to seperate all of the components, there's many excellent options available. I think igglebert has hit it right on the head here. Downsize to upgrade the quality, modern tech now makes it possible to give you a lot in a small package, now that really depends on what exactly you want your small package to do. Having agreed with that, i am still a firm believer in a single hi-fi unit being designed, tested and built to do one single thing, to the best of it,s ability. Seperates don,t have to be big and bulky. Go to www.patrickjames.co.uk//sugden-bijou-system and you can see what i am using. If your interested. john

You and Iggle have very valid points - Mrs. P would love this option. However, I'm of the old school who still seems to genuinely believe that half the fun of hi-fi is the "boxes" and twiddling with knobs.
emotion-10.gif

johnnyjazz:PP the link i gave is a seperates system.
emotion-18.gif

I did see the link prior to the last post. Just emphasising that active route or all-in-ones are becoming ever more popular, which is totally justified. The "Didi" set-ups have been around for years; I think Alba used to make them.... MF and Cyrus to name just a few.

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin:

You and Iggle have very valid points - Mrs. P would love this option. However, I'm of the old school who still seems to genuinely believe that half the fun of hi-fi is the "boxes" and twiddling with knobs.
emotion-10.gif

Think we've all been in that school at some time or another PP. Trouble is that with a lot of the new kit there aren't many knobs to twiddle. But I must admit that I did find it a lot of fun. Maybe my comment from earlier is more right than I thought and it is an 'age' thing. Messiah has admitted that his passion for tinkering etc. has waned over the years, pretty much what happened to me and others as well from what I've been reading.

Rich

8009514:plastic penguin:

emotion-10.gif

Think we've all been in that school at some time or another PP. Trouble is that with a lot of the new kit there aren't many knobs to twiddle. But I must admit that I did find it a lot of fun. Maybe my comment from earlier is more right than I thought and it is an 'age' thing. Messiah has admitted that his passion for tinkering etc. has waned over the years, pretty much what happened to me and others as well from what I've been reading.

Rich

If it is an age thing then I'm around that age. Maybe I'm still a kid at heart.

I remember my school friend dad had the most wonderful hi-fi set-up: it consisted of a Fisher receiver, a reel to reel, Thorens turntable and the biggest pair of KEF speakers you've ever seen; so big, in fact, that he had a lamp standing on each. After about five years he sold the lot and bought an Amstrad mini player and an entry-level pair of Wharfedale Laser speakers which he fixed to the wall, just below the coving. I'm now about his age...

BTW, what I thought funny is you said you're becoming little more "modtech" but I noticed in your sig you have a gramaphone. Old habits die hard...
emotion-5.gif

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Ah, yes, the gramophone. Well spotted PP. (I'm not actually that old) Had that a few years now. Great when we have a barbecue or something. Everyone, especially the kids, love to play with that.
emotion-19.gif
Went through all my 78s the other day, got about 120 of them. No string quartet stuff in my collection, Lonnie Donegan, Elvis, Johnny Ray, Bing Crosby, even got the Ying Tong Song. None of it my taste in music, but its stuff everyone recognises and its a bit of fun.. I do get through a lot of needles when that thing gets used though. As for the Dansette in my sig, well I've got 5 of them. Just finished refurbing them all (my winter project). Keep one, sell the other 4 when car boot season comes round again. Once again everyone loves it when I get it down and theres people around for a 'do'. What people really love is sifting through the 700 odd singles we've got.

Anyway, I digress, back to the subject on this thread.

I do like Big Chris's suggestion of making this the subject of a 'Big Question' in the mag.

Rich

John Duncan

8009514:
JohnDuncan:I only have one thing to say on the subject...

Sounds a bit like 'Uniti' speak to me John!

Rich

Which is about half a Doublespeak in old money. The Inkling Police will be around in a minute...

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm very happy with my

http://esoteric.teac.com/audio_players/rz-1/

http://esoteric.teac.com/audio_players/rz-1/When I was auditioning it didn't lose out by much on a similarly priced Marantz set up, except I get the DAC functionality. Still not as many features as the Uniti, which looks like a great bit of kit.

I would like to be able to do the tweaking and adjusting separates allows, but I save myself a lot of money and faffage by not having them. I think if I lived in a bigger place I would have gone for separates, but I've gained a lot of flexibility. I get great sound but I can tuck it away in a cabinet (class D amp doesn't run as hot) or set it up just about anywhere in the house, so for my situation, I feel I've gained a lot more than I've lost on SQ (and I don't think I've lost much SQ).

A

Anonymous

Well, having downsized to NaimUniti, I am very happy with the one box system. However, there is the constant urge to bring it back to 2 box system with the addition of a NAP......

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Awesome thread!

Downsized from 5.1 AVR Pre pro power to 2.1 Integrated, which felt a lot of relief.

Then downsized the proud display of the equipment to a front closed shelf which reduced the clutter even more and visually a lot better.

And then downsized the floor standing speakers to stand mount speakers.

Right now downsized the TT with Phono to get rid of the phonobox to accomodate the lack of built in Phono stage of Inpol2.

I wish there was a decent integrated amp with built in DAC so I would avoid a stand alone DAC and I REALLY can not afford that Ethos from Pathos

BUT.. none of the downsizing was either cheap or compromise on sound quality in fact it was quite opposite!

Now, I have just one box to tweak (The DAC)!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts