Seperates Vs All-in-one

matthewpiano

Arising from Chebby's thread about downsizing his system, but not specifically with reference to his or anybody else's situation, how does everybody feel about this topic now? I'm starting to think that things are changing and, for the first time, I'm really starting to wonder whether integrated systems might be the future. Is there really any need for the big pile of boxes in the room any more? Is a good quality integrated system (say the Marantz M-CR603, Arcam Solo, or similar) partnered with quality speakers enough for most of us? How would the M-CR603 compare with 6003 CD and amp, for example? Is it a good opportunity to get past the equipment and focus on the music again? To stop worrying about cables and system matching and concentrate on the whole purpose of having a good system? My mind is mixed on these matters, but I'm interested to see how everyone feels about it.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Perhaps there could be a 'Big Question' on the subject.

budget all-in-one vs budget seperates vs pricey all-in-one vs pricey seperates.... All from behind a curtain of course.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I totally agree. I have SEVEN boxes just to listen to CDs - Naim preamp, 2 power supplies, 2 monoblocks, CD transport & DAC. Cabling is a nightmare and the box count rises to eight when I plug in my Squeezebox Touch for Internet radio, music streaming etc. When the time comes to retire the amps (they are almost 18 years old) I'll surely downsize to a good integrated and keep things as simple as possible.

A

Anonymous

you can swap seperates, tinker with the system etc., you're stuck with an all in one. i'm not too sure that would suit you (or me) mp...

MAre007

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
matthewpiano:... I'm really starting to wonder whether integrated systems might be the future. Is there really any need for the big pile of boxes in the room any more? Is a good quality integrated system (say the Marantz M-CR603, Arcam Solo, or similar) partnered with quality speakers enough for most of us?...
Is it a good opportunity to get past the equipment and focus on the music again? To stop worrying about cables and system matching and concentrate on the whole purpose of having a good system? ...

Recently I've bought new All-in-one Advance Acoustic EZY-8 for just 500? and must say I'm very very satisfied. It matches my old KEF's 102/2 very good (better than bigger Luxman L525) and it's only one, small 11 kg box. And there is no more dilemma about CD player, cables, ...
emotion-1.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I would expect a - well matched - set of seperates to sound better.

The point is to have the choice, not for such alernatives to compete with each other on ultimate sound quality terms.

I think - being sensible - customers for good quality 'all-in-one' units don't buy them to compete with seperates. They appreciate that a little sacrifice has to be made for space/price/aesthetics/convenience.

A

Anonymous

Good point. I've just downsized from a Cyrus CD8SE, MF A3.5 and AC SCM 11s to a modest set up as below. To be honest I'm well impressed with this system, can focus on the music, don't disturb anyone and am enjoying it immensely again after a good few years tweaking, changing cables and wasting relatively (for me) enormous resource.

I recommend trying it.
emotion-1.gif

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
It might be an 'age' thing. The older I've got the less inclined I am to have a collection of differant boxes and be messing about with cables endlessly. (Seemed to be endlessly anyway). Had loads of differant boxes since I started a HiFi interest in the late 60s, been through Sansui, Pioneer, Akai and many others. Mains cables (at least 3) and interconnects were either always too short or too long, never the right length, get it right just as a new posting comes along, house move, differant layout, now they're too long / too short again, more 'faffing' around to do. Just can't be bothered with that any more. All-in-ones have been an absolute godsend to me.

Rich

simon3102000

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
What could be better than a big rack full of hifi equipment?! And to me all in ones just don't sound the same. Building a seperates system is more of a personal thing! Don't know why you would want to keep messing with cabling? Just set it up and leave it!

A

Anonymous

I have recently introduced a Sonos s5 to the bedroom. I am really pleased with the results. It is not high fidelity, but I find it a very enjoyable listen. It is about as minimal and all in one as it gets.

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
simon3102000:What could be better than a big rack full of hifi equipment?! And to me all in ones just don't sound the same. Building a seperates system is more of a personal thing! Don't know why you would want to keep messing with cabling? Just set it up and leave it!

I know exactly what you mean Simon. In my younger days I loved nothing more than having a big rack full of hifi gear. It just doesn't 'rock my boat' like it used to. Moving house every couple of years didn't help (Forces), different room layouts all the time, sockets in wrong place, rack doesn't fit in new house where I want it which leads to new rack and new kit, etc. etc. No, I prefer the 'simplicity' approach nowadays so its All-in-Ones for me now. (deep sighs as I remember the Sansui kit I had)

Rich

simon3102000

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
8009514:

simon3102000:What could be better than a big rack full of hifi equipment?! And to me all in ones just don't sound the same. Building a seperates system is more of a personal thing! Don't know why you would want to keep messing with cabling? Just set it up and leave it!

I know exactly what you mean Simon. In my younger days I loved nothing more than having a big rack full of hifi gear. It just doesn't 'rock my boat' like it used to. Moving house every couple of years didn't help (Forces), different room layouts all the time, sockets in wrong place, rack doesn't fit in new house where I want it which leads to new rack and new kit, etc. etc. No, I prefer the 'simplicity' approach nowadays so its All-in-Ones for me now. (deep sighs as I remember the Sansui kit I had)

Rich

Fair play buddy, if you have to keep moving then it would be a right pain! The front room i have at the moment is ideal for my seperates system but if i had to move the 1st thing id have to make sure is that the front room would be able to house my hifi, if not then id have to look elswhere!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
simon3102000:Fair play buddy, if you have to keep moving then it would be a right pain! The front room i have at the moment is ideal for my seperates system but if i had to move the 1st thing id have to make sure is that the front room would be able to house my hifi, if not then id have to look elswhere!

I guess you haven't experienced life in the forces.

You move where you are told to move and I don't think they make a lot of allowances for ensuring living rooms are compatible with the needs of one's hifi system!
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

A more pressing issue is what has happened to your signature - are you changing again MP?!

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano:Arising from Chebby's thread about downsizing his system, but not specifically with reference to his or anybody else's situation, how does everybody feel about this topic now? I'm starting to think that things are changing and, for the first time, I'm really starting to wonder whether integrated systems might be the future. Is there really any need for the big pile of boxes in the room any more? Is a good quality integrated system (say the Marantz M-CR603, Arcam Solo, or similar) partnered with quality speakers enough for most of us? How would the M-CR603 compare with 6003 CD and amp, for example? Is it a good opportunity to get past the equipment and focus on the music again? To stop worrying about cables and system matching and concentrate on the whole purpose of having a good system? My mind is mixed on these matters, but I'm interested to see how everyone feels about it.

I have thought of downsizing in the past, then i listen to my system
emotion-19.gif
, i like the idea of a one box solution but i feel its too much of a sacrifice, so for that reason i would not downsize.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
I like my components small and speakers big! So no speakers inside the all-in-ones!

Intergation into one box is good, provided it does not bring too much compromise on quality, flexibility or upgradability - but how many one-box solutions fit that?

I think one recent good example of a good all-in-one package is UnityQute.

A

Anonymous

Don't see the big deal with all-in-ones, though I might go down the B&O route one day.

I have a turntable, a Dac, a phono pre-amp, an amplifier and speakers. There's no benefit for me to go down the all-in-one route, as I'd lose more than I'd gain - and would have the same amount of boxes anyway...

A

Anonymous

I've reduced box count by going down the Active route! Adm 9.1+sub Cyrus DVD player for music/movies and Airport Express for streaming. It sounds brilliant and not to many boxes.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Yes Nick. Another logical upgrade path for the quality 'all-in-one' (most seem to have pre-out) would be to hook up a pair of active speakers.

That way the system 'footprint' remains the same.

Dynaudio BM5A Mk IIs or Quad 11L actives or any number by companies like Genelec or Yamaha, KRK etc.

The usual problem with 'traditional' actives - like still having to find a pre-amp and sources/DAC etc. - is cured neatly by the compact all-in-one unit with all the sources built in. (CD player, FM/DAB, internet tuner, DAC, digital iPod/iPhone connectivity, ethernet etc.).

marou

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Such an interesting topic. I'd love to get rid of some boxes and cables although not as much as my wife would. So I tried the Arcam Solo mini - neat and pretty (as is Chebby's Marantz) - but the drop in sound quality and the fact it didn't synchronise with the dab radio in the kitchen made it a non-starter and the fear of repeating this experience put me off trying the Unitiqute. So if I can find a more discreet power amp I might just settle for that.

jiggyjoe

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
The only thing that I would worry about with all in one's is if they fail then you have to replace the whole unit again. OK marantz £400-600 a nuisance!

but a 2.5k uniti ouch!!!!!!!

A

Anonymous

From the early 60s onwards, all-in-one systems meant bad sound quality. At some stage the sound quality of low-end hi-fi electronics surpassed the quality of older high-end.

With high powered active speakers at reasonable prices the last rational reasons to choose a separates system vanished.

The only thing that's left in favour of separates, is the urge towards tinkering, that seems to be stronger than the love of music in some hi-fi owners...

A

Anonymous

I downsized recently and upgraded at the same time! It's such a relief to get rid of the boxes and tidy up the room. If you can past the need to seperate all of the components, there's many excellent options available.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
jiggyjoe:The only thing that I would worry about with all in one's is if they fail then you have to replace the whole unit again. OK marantz £400-600 a nuisance!
but a 2.5k uniti ouch!!!!!!!

A NaimUniti is £2145 not £2500.

Shrewd owners buy them from places with guarantees. (My dealer guarantees on all of my Naim gear is 3 years and the Naim guarantee is 5 years if you register it.). A good dealer will loan you an equivalent unit(s) if yours need repair. (That goes for any make of gear.)

Then there is your house contents insurance with which to replace stuff if it is accidently damaged..

Also, in any system, if you lose the source, or the amp, or the speakers then it is just as unplayable until fixed/replaced.

This is not exclusive to hifi dealers. John Lewis have free 5 year cover on all their televisions. When ours packed up, they collected it, left a loan unit, did the repair and delivered it back again. Completely free.

Messiah

So may posts so far I can relate to.

I think as I have gotten older my passion for constant tinkering and analysis has waned and I just want something that I enjoy and do not worry about. As Iggle has said I was able to upgrade and downsize at the same time and I don't think twice about having to improve my hi-fi or worry about cables etc.

Getting rid of the surround and returning the traditional stereo has also helped. Now I can focus on spending money on something else.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts