Seperates Novice

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
I previously had a Sony DAV all in one Home Theatre System which has recently packed up on me. I had an extended warranty so i've had to return all of the equipment to Currys in exchange for vouchers.

I saw a cheap Denon amp going the other day so decided to pursue the seperates route and forget Currys all in one packages, but i've not got a great deal to spend. Could someone let me know if i'm going in the right direction and give some advise on my kit to be used in a room 4 metres by 4 metres.

Amp - Just bought a Denon AVR-1507 for £60. Only 2 months old as the owner is buying a top of the range Denon instead. (I've seen the reviews and for the price thought it a great bargain so the 1st piece of the jigsaw is in place and now i must continue my journey).

DVD player - Again from the review in What Hi-Fi, i'm going for the Denon DVD-1930. Saw one going for £149 as clearence stock due to the 1940 now being on sale. Hopefully a bargain and a good buy.

Speakers - I've not decided what i'm going to get yet but due to not having huge funds available, and again going on the reviews, i think i'm going to go for the KEF KHT5001 speaker set. I've seen a set going for £250.

Cables - I've no idea what i should be using to connect everything together - i've previously only used normal hi-fi speaker cables so advise would be welcome.

I'd like to know peoples opinions on the kit i'm buying. All in, it will come to just over £500 for a full system, but will it be ok in my room, not just for films but also for audio cd's which i play alot.

Thanks to anyone who can find the time to reply.

strobo

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I'm no expert but £60 for the '1507 sounds a good price. From the research I've done, I'd also say the '1930 is a good step in the right direction. The matching two casings is also a good idea if domestic harmony is an issue.

My experience of speakers is limited. I began my living room home cinema journey with a Tannoy EFX501 speaker set. After suggestions about Tannoy Mercury F1's, and permission form the feuhrer, I tried my Tannoy M1's in place of the front two. The difference is frightening. It might only apply to the Tannoy's, but might be worth keeping in mind. I guess if you want to listen to CD's through the same system, buying a decent set of stereo fronts would get you started, then you can add rears, a centre and sub as funds allow.

As for cables I think the guide that What Hi-Fi give is about right (though I can't remember it now - is it about 10% or something?)

I work on the theory when it comes to upgrading gear, the cables are usually the most awkward to change, so I buy cables with a bit of headroom to allow upgrades without the chaos and hassle of feeding cables through holes and gaps they don't want to go through more often than is necessary. Let's just say that helps with the sanity factor...

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.

Can anyone else give opinions as to suitability of KEF KHT1005 speaker set for surround sound cinema and music cd's. Or other options that would suit better.

Plus cable advise please.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts