Separates, What is the best route?

johnnyboy1950

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Since the concept of seperates appeared in the early 70s its been the way to go. However today we have seperates made by pretty much everybody.I have (you probably know this already) the cambridge CX range and am very happy. It seems the way I have gone is by sticking to a manufacturer once you have read up about it. However are there out there who have say they bought the CXN but have partnered it with a rega amp, yamaha, marantz etc, choose your options. It would seem to me that if you choose a make then it makes sense to partner it with other gear fron the same people. All cambridge, all rega, all yamaha, all marantz. What do you think?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Since I don't have a life, I have time to give you my opinion. *wink*

IMO. The reasons for not matching, would be as follows:

- Not all brands excell at everything, so it makes sense to pick from those at the top of the game.

- If you have a taste for Valves or Class A and the brand you choose doesn't do it

- You like mixing the sonic traits of different manufacturers ie. If you like the CA Streamer, but find it sounds too forward with their amp, so match it with a Sugden or Arcam.

In my case, I have yet to hear a Source I prefer to the Linn DS....but are not fond of their (particularly expensive) amps and speakers. I do like Arcam Class G and MF Class A.

The main thing is to try a wide variety of kit and go with what you like best, whether all from one brand, or not.

rainsoothe

CnoEvil said:
Since I don't have a life, I have time to give you my opinion. *wink*

IMO. The reasons for not matching, would be as follows:

- Not all brands excell at everything, so it makes sense to pick from those at the top of the game.

- If you have a taste for Valves or Class A and the brand you choose doesn't do it

- You like mixing the sonic traits of different manufacturers ie. If you like the CA Streamer, but find it sounds too forward with their amp, so match it with a Sugden or Arcam.

In my case, I have yet to hear a Source I prefer to the Linn DS....but are not fond of their (particularly expensive) amps and speakers. I do like Arcam Class G and MF Class A.

The main thing is to try a wide variety of kit and go with what you like best, whether all from one brand, or not.

I have nothing to add :)

insider9

Honestly, I think most of the time people buy the lot as it just looks uniformed. Nothing wrong with that.

Finding pairings that work and are to you liking may be difficult. But it's very worth it if you're after something specific.

TRENDING THREADS