Sensibly priced 3D projector wanted?

Cookie Monster

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

After being a 3D disliker i have since been playing with an LG passive 3D TV.The ability to use lots of passive lightweight 3D glasses appeals.The Sky 3D demo was great too. Looking at passive as i found it more comfortable and presume kit with this tech would be cheaper as LG has shown with its plasmas.

So do you know if anybody is making a 1080p projector that will be compatible with passive 3D rather than just stereoscopic.Would like to set up a larger PJ screen in the garden and use with many more viewers so passive would be great. 1080p resolution would still be needed for my own non 3D blu ray enjoyment mind.

Thanks,

Cookie Monster

A

Anonymous

The only truly sensible priced option would be the Optoma 67 with the 3DXL add on, but this is only 720p and is active, but comes in around £800. I do recall some one making a system that converts an active 3D projector to a passive one, but then you would have to add the cost of that to the projector, which could become expensive.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Cookie Monster said:
Hi, After being a 3D disliker i have since been playing with an LG passive 3D TV.The ability to use lots of passive lightweight 3D glasses appeals.The Sky 3D demo was great too. Looking at passive as i found it more comfortable and presume kit with this tech would be cheaper as LG has shown with its plasmas. So do you know if anybody is making a 1080p projector that will be compatible with passive 3D rather than just stereoscopic.Would like to set up a larger PJ screen in the garden and use with many more viewers so passive would be great. 1080p resolution would still be needed for my own non 3D blu ray enjoyment mind. Thanks, Cookie Monster

I don't see how a system simular to the way LG delivers 3D via its passive LCD sets could be employed via a PJ as the TVs screen uses polarised filters to seperate the images for each eye and surely the cost of making a PJ screen that could do this would be very expensive if at all possible, so as far as I can see if you go the PJ route for 3D the only options are either a active shutter system or stereoscopic as used at the cinema.

If you had a very deep wallet there is the Runco D-73d that uses 2 PJs to produce a stereoscopic image which does have a advantage of full 1080p resoultion for each eye but it is mental money!!
smiley-surprised.gif

A

Anonymous

NIck - I'm interested to hear how the Sony performs - can we have an updated when released please

Cookie Monster

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Thanks all,

DJ Krime im a little confused as i thought the image for passive is 2x 540 alternate lines,with the glasses each picking up 540 lines per eye. I always thought stereoscopic and active shutter were the same thing as the eyes see seperate images. Doesn't really matter, i just wondered how a standard Cinema based projector achieves the passive image with only a blank screen to shine on.

Also, thanks Frank Harvey & all. New Sony does look great but hoping for £1,500-£2,000.

Plenty of time to save which really suits.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Cookie Monster said:
DJ Krime im a little confused as i thought the image for passive is 2x 540 alternate lines,with the glasses each picking up 540 lines per eye. I always thought stereoscopic and active shutter were the same thing as the eyes see seperate images. Doesn't really matter, i just wondered how a standard Cinema based projector achieves the passive image with only a blank screen to shine on.

The passive image on LG's LCDs is 2x540 but from what I understand the Runco uses 2 projectors to deliver a full 1080p image for each eye and passive glasses simular to what youre used to in the cinema, so no flicker like active shutter or loss or resolution like LGs LCDs. As for the type of screen needed I would have thought you need a special screen type designed for this type of projection which would more than likely be expensive but seeing as the Runco is £40k I think those who can afford it would not be worried about the price.

Here is a pic of the Beast and some blurb about how it works
smiley-sealed.gif

D-73-primary.jpg

"Offering 3D done right, Runco is the only display manufacturer to offer a 3D solution is based on proprietary CSV™ (Constant Stereoscopic Video) architecture. Runco CSV is a vastly-superior approach to 3D visualization that enables seamless decoding, syncing and merging of stereo images and delivers a constant HD image to each eye without the flicker, distortion, or discomfort inherent in other approaches. Runco CSV utilizes unique passive-glasses technology, which is proven to be superior for the viewer and is usually only available in the finest public theaters.

real3d-logo-sm.png
Further, Runco is the first home theater brand to license RealD ‘s Processing Package, which is used in Runco's 3Dimension Processor that is paired with the company's D-73 projector. The RealD Processing Package includes multiple proprietary technologies for the delivery and display of high-definition 3D content, for a high-quality 3D display experience in the home.Also incredibly important when choosing a 3D display, the Runco 3Dimension Series will deliver both a spectacular 2D and 3D viewing experience with zero compromise.

Runco’s 3Dimension Series pair passive glasses with a design unique to Runco formulated for precise stereo separation, called PreciseLight™. Runco’s passive glasses are not like current 3D TV glasses, which are based on “active” LCD shutter-glass technology and have inherent design challenges. Active glasses are bulky and expensive because they include electronics. And, because active glasses have LCDs in each lens, and turn black every other frame (or more frequently), active glasses need a transmitter that is synced to the frame rate. If you are out of range of the transmitter, low on batteries, have multiple TVs in a single room, or have any obstructions, the image may stutter or simply not work"

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
TheHomeCinemaCentre said:
pjeast73 said:
NIck - I'm interested to hear how the Sony performs - can we have an updated when released please

Will do - ours arrives in a week or so. It will be good to compare to the VW90.

We had a sneak preview of the new Sony yesterday - looked impressive at first glance; can't wait to give it a full review workout...

Cookie Monster

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Thanks DJ Krime, have done a little reading on the ability of Passive function in PJ's.Spot On, needs 2x PJs delivering 2 images, would pretty much raise the cost instantly compared to Active Shutter.

Great to see the Sony looking promising, like the idea of D-ILA tech over DLP and LCD. Really interested to see what Panasonic have in store for the 4000 replacement.

Have started looking at 55-65" screens as an alternative.

A

Anonymous

Honestly, I have only found 1 projector so far that utilizes the same technology as the LG 3D TVs. It is made by LG, the LG CF3D Projector. It is very expensive but promises similar viewing experiences to what you would get at a typical movie theater 3D showing now. I have even asked a few movie theaters about it and one in my area Regal Cinemas in Skokie, IL have already started using a more commercial version of this same projector.

http://www.amazon.com/CF3D-2500-Lumens-1920-1080/dp/tech-data/B004NPHMO0/ref=de_a_smtd

I have not been able to find the LG site that shows this projector however. Even though it says it was recently released.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts