Best 3D 55 inch TV and bigger

power

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I had an LG55LX6500 3D LED TV. I was happy with the Tv except for a few bugs associated with LED and 3D TVs such as clouding due to the LED lighting and crosstalk associated with active 3D TVs. My place was broken into and my entire home theatre was stolen. Im in the process of replacing the TV. I know for a fact that there's no TV that will give you 100% but its a question of give and take according to what works for you. I am so against Plasma despite its advantages over LED. My biggest bug bear is the +-5 seconds of logo and other image rentetion problem though some people say it doesnt exist with new plasmas, believe me I see it with every set and it bothers me a lot. Another thing that bothers me is the grayish blacjs of plasma and the screen reflections. Samsung and LG have introduced their new range aof plasmas and LEDs recently which use active and passive glasses respectively. I am looking for a 55 inch and bigger and I would like to get some opinions from you guys. Please dont suggest any other brands except SOny, Samsung and LG as I have access only to these brands

power

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I am very taken aback by that claim because LED has been hailed to have deeper blacks than plasma in paper and according to my observation. Some plasmas have lately introduced true black filters which are still cant give the blacks you find in LED.

Paul.

Unfortunately it's the other way around LCD panel displays have long been trying to catch up with plasma, and is only just getting there. Are you confusing LED backlit displays with OLED panels? LED TVs are still LCD displays.

power said:
I am very taken aback by that claim because LED has been hailed to have deeper blacks than plasma in paper and according to my observation. Some plasmas have lately introduced true black filters which are still cant give the blacks you find in LED.

Pioneer Kuro was hailed as producing deepest blacks amongst all TVs, until lately superceded by Panasonic VT series'. Both plasmas. LCDs & LED-lit LCD TVs are improving & still trying to catch up with plasmas in this regard.

power

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I tend to disagree regarding the black levels. I have seen Plasma vs LED side by side hundreds of times and LED showed better blacks than Plasma. I agree with you regarding LED/LCD playing catch up to plasma but that is mostly with regards to refresh rate where plasma is superior to LED/LCD.

Which plasma out there doesnt have logo retention Im asking because that bothers me a lot. I would go for that plasma if I can find it

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
power said:
I am so against Plasma despite its advantages over LED.

power said:
I would go for that plasma if I can find it

So which is it? Would you consider plasma or not?

power said:
I have seen Plasma vs LED side by side hundreds of times and LED showed better blacks than Plasma.

In which case, surely any recommendation on here can't compare to your own experiences. Trust your eyes and demo different TVs, then choose whichever you think is best. You've already narrowed the market down to a certain size and three brands.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
You're wrong about the blacks, it's not a matter of debate. Image retention is also not something that only some people see, it either occurs or it doesn't. I've never had any image retention with my kuro plasma.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Lee H said:
power said:

power said:
I would go for that plasma if I can find it

So which is it? Would you consider plasma or not?

power said:
I have seen Plasma vs LED side by side hundreds of times and LED showed better blacks than Plasma.

In which case, surely any recommendation on here can't compare to your own experiences. Trust your eyes and demo different TVs, then choose whichever you think is best. You've already narrowed the market down to a certain size and three brands.

That's good advice. You should have a very short demo list at that size, LCD, passive 3d.

Tonya

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
IMHO, it's a two horse race at the moment.
The Samsung UE8000ES and the Panasonic VT50 series.

I went with the Sammy and despite a few small problens with crashing that are almost sorted with the new firmware, it's been superb.

Never been tempted by plasma, those things use many times the power of an LED set for a start!

power said:
I tend to disagree regarding the black levels. I have seen Plasma vs LED side by side hundreds of times and LED showed better blacks than Plasma. I agree with you regarding LED/LCD playing catch up to plasma but that is mostly with regards to refresh rate where plasma is superior to LED/LCD. Which plasma out there doesnt have logo retention Im asking because that bothers me a lot. I would go for that plasma if I can find it

Depends on which LED lit LCD TVs & plasma TVs you've seen, & in which conditions. The manufacturers themselves do not dispute that plasmas are known to have better blacks.

http://asia.cnet.com/3d-tvs-led-vs-plasma-update-62209042.htm

power

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Lee H said:
power said:

In my post I stated clearly my reasons for not liking plasma its not just I dont like it for no reason. I have demoed sammy, LG and panasonic and they do have transient logo retention. I hve seen old sets in friends' hiuses that still have the problem despite prolonged use.

power

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Lee H said:
power said:

In my post I stated clearly my reasons for not liking plasma its not just I dont like it for no reason. I have demoed sammy, LG and panasonic and they do have transient logo retention. I have seen old sets in friends' houses that still have the problem despite prolonged use.

It would be nice to read people's posts properly than to just have selective reading and responsing to slected statements.

http://flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1339052567

Below we have measured black level and contrast.

ikon_outofthebox.jpg
ikon_kalibreret.jpg
Black level 0.00 cd/m2 0.00 cd/m2 Brightness 82 cd/m2 97 cd/m2 Contrast ratio - -Contrast ratio +/- 50
After calibration measured black level to 0.0 cd/m2 but as discussed in the GT50 review, our testing equipment quits after 0.02 cd/m2. Therefore we examined VT50 in a completely dark room, and some light is being let through, making black appear very deep but not 100 % perfect. To be fair, this is one of the best results we have ever seen on a plasma TV, except for the Pioneer Kuro, and it contributes to vivid and intense pictures. Black depth on VT50 is not noticeable better than on GT50, though. In a dark room the two are fairly identical but VT50 has an advantage in a bright room due to the louver filter. With these results, Panasonic’s plasma TVs hold on to the lead over edge LED based LCD-TVs that have improved a lot in the recent years. This is very exiting; next step is perfection (all intermediate steps from here to perfect black are irrelevant).

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
power said:

That is simply not true (in paper at least, I am not questioning your eyes ;) )

It is true, that LED based LCD screens has become much better in this regard, but they still can't compete with the best plasma screens.

Some of the backlit LED/LCD screens shows almost perfect blacks in tests. What many don't realise however is, that these screens simply turns off the light when displaying a completely black picture. Basically the TV is turned off, and in this setting it is not difficult to display a black picture. The problem is, that the screen will not be able to show any other picture then black. As soon as a 'real' picture is put on the screen, the black level drops significantly (lights are turned on).

I would therefore argue, that these black level measurements are useless in real life settings.

On plasma screens the situation is different. The cells are never turned off, even when displaying a black picture. This makes dark grey scaling much more detailed and precise. And this is what matters when watching TV.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

TKratz said:
power said:

That is simply not true (in paper at least, I am not questioning your eyes ;) )

It is true, that LED based LCD screens has become much better in this regard, but they still can't compete with the best plasma screens.

Some of the backlit LED/LCD screens shows almost perfect blacks in tests. What many don't realise however is, that these screens simply turns off the light when displaying a completely black picture. Basically the TV is turned off, and in this setting it is not difficult to display a black picture. The problem is, that the screen will not be able to show any other picture then black. As soon as a 'real' picture is put on the screen, the black level drops significantly (lights are turned on).

I would therefore argue, that these black level measurements are useless in real life settings.

On plasma screens the situation is different. The cells are never turned off, even when displaying a black picture. This makes dark grey scaling much more detailed and precise. And this is what matters when watching TV.

+1

Was going to be my argument, but you beat me to it.

I have a near 5 year old plasma, not a bit of image retention ever, fantastic picture, fantastic blacks.

I think it all depends on the settings you have when you use the tv initially. If you go for garish, bright settings on the plasma initially, then their could be a possibility of some image retention, but, if unnaturally bright images are what you want, then go for a led/lcd.

I saw a top of the range Samsung led, next to a mid range Panasonic plasma in John Lewis a few weeks ago, and the Pana beat the Samsung into submission. And of course, the Samsung cost twice as much.

If your budget is not limited, go for one of the VT50 series, or slightly limited, the GT50 series, and if quite limited, go for the ST50 series, but leave the others alone, they're just pretending to be good.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Having gone through this whole therad the OP does state that He for what ever reason only has access to Samsung.LG and Sony and yet everyone keeps saying get a Panasonic Plaz. Now I personally I would opt for a Panasonic ST,GT or VT over any LCD based TV I've seen the OP looks like He is comparing the LCD'S against LG and Samsung Plasma sets which IMHO don't deliver the same sort of Blacks you get from a Panasonic but again IMHO still better that of LCD but each to their own.

Any way if I had to choose between the brands the OP has mentioned I'd take the LG route if 3D is important as I find the passive 3D much more comfortible over longer viewing periods, and if 3D is less important then I'd go the Samsung route as their Smart TV features are very good again if that floats your boat!

F

FunkyMonkey

I recently went for the Samsung Ue55es8000. The thin bezel and recent superb offers made it a no brainer for me.

The comment everyone makes is, "it looks like there is no bezel". And that is from just 8 feet away!

The upscaling is phenomenal, as is the online functionality. Oh, and it is bye bye Sky rip off subscription now that I can record onto USB from freeview HD and freesat HD.

In my experience, the torch lighting and clouding issues are overstated. People expect perfection. Maybe next year. Plus, they can be minimised by careful calibration. It's akin to the issue 5 years ago when people would send their set back cos there was 1 dead pixel viewable from 6 inches away. Just my opinion.

A

Anonymous

I would go with the LG LM models for their passive 3d. I never found active 3d attractive. They are just so uncomfortable. Battery charge, synchronizing, limited angles is just a turn off.

A

Anonymous

I would go with the LG LM models for their passive 3d. I never found active 3d attractive. They are just so uncomfortable. Battery charge, synchronizing, limited angles is just a turn off.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts