Sennheiser headphones not charging.

Boeriemore

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
My cordless RS 180 headphones have spent a year or two sitting on its base, not being used.

Trying to get it to operate again I discovered that the two rechargable 1.2v batteries

give voltage readings as follows: One is 1.15 volts, the other 0.05 volts.

But when I switch the headphones and base on the orange charging light stays on for only

a few seconds before switching off. The result, no sound.

The obvious next step would be to buy new batteries but they appear different from any

batteries I have seen so have no idea where to sourse new ones from.

They are marked as HR-4UTGA 1.2v min. 750mAh.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
They're just regular rechargeable triple A batteries. I have the same phones. More than likely the batteries are shot from being left unused for so long and need replacing. Cost about a fiver.

You seem adept at using a multimeter/voltage checker so you could also try checking the base to see if it's presenting a charge across all three pins, and check the contacts on the headphones themselves to see if they are dirty or oxidised. But my money's on the batteries.

Boeriemore

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
They're just regular rechargeable triple A batteries. I have the same phones. More than likely the batteries are shot from being left unused for so long and need replacing. Cost about a fiver.

You seem adept at using a multimeter/voltage checker so you could also try checking the base to see if it's presenting a charge across all three pins, and check the contacts on the headphones themselves to see if they are dirty or oxidised. But my money's on the batteries.

Thanks for the input. The contacts on the base appear perfect. I will buy two as you described and hope for the best.

I'm not too adept with the meter. The base has three pins which the headset fits onto. I assume the centre pin is earch so

do I simply check voltage by connecting negative to centre pin and positive to each of the other pins?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I would reckon so seeing the phones can be put on the base either way. Centre is probably common and the two outer pins provide a charging voltage to the two NMH batteries, one in each earpiece.. You certainly won't cause any damage at any rate unless you short the pins; voltage across the pins is tiny. The mains charger itself is obviously working or else the lights in the base unit itself wouldn't light. My money is still on the batteries.

Boeriemore

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
I would reckon so seeing the phones can be put on the base either way. Centre is probably common and the two outer pins provide a charging voltage to the two NMH batteries, one in each earpiece.. You certainly won't cause any damage at any rate unless you short the pins; voltage across the pins is tiny. The mains charger itself is obviously working or else the lights in the base unit itself wouldn't light. My money is still on the batteries.

Thank you, Batteries it is then.

Update: New batteries solved the problem.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Brilliant. Thanks for the feedback, it helps to know a suggestion worked when trying to help others with a similar problem in the future. So many people ask queries but never report back if the suggestions solved their problems.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts