Sennheiser hd820 or hd800s with Naim Amp Question

lakitu1982

Jul 18, 2021
Visit site
Hi,

I am buying either the Sennheiser HD820's or the HD800's next week and would like to avoid if possible having to buy the pre amp HDV 820 Sennheiser produce as it's £2000.

I have a Naim Nait 5i which I use currently with The Naim CD Player does anyone know if the Naim Nait 5i will work ok or well enough with these headphones or will I will really missing out not buying the balanced Sennheiser pre amp, whatever that means.

Also would I be better getting a tube amp?

While I love music my knowledge on these things is poor.

Last edited:

Friesiansam

Bare in mind the HD800 are open back and the HD820 closed, if you are not already aware.

If I was spending that sort of money on high-end headphones, I would want a nice headphone amp to drive them. There is a wide choice available below £2000, that should do a good job. I would not recommend the Pathos DAC/amp I use due to it's low output.

lakitu1982

Jul 18, 2021
Visit site
Bare in mind the HD800 are open back and the HD820 closed, if you are not already aware.

If I was spending that sort of money on high-end headphones, I would want a nice headphone amp to drive them. There is a wide choice available below £2000, that should do a good job. I would not recommend the Pathos DAC/amp I use due to it's low output.

Thank you, yes I think I am leaning towards the HD800 open backs. I've actually owned them before but sold them years ago but I'm just wondering on what amp to pair it with.

jjbomber

Thank you for your advice, I suppose just buying the HD800's and trying them on my Naim 5i is the way forward. I'm sure I'll be happy with it and if not I can search for something else.
Exactly that.

If you're happy with the Naim, then great. If not, and you feel a need to splash the cash, then start auditioning.

If I was spending £2k on an upgrade, I'd probably trade the Naim 5i and cash for a Supernait before a Sennheister headphone amp. But that's me, not you.

Reactions: Friesiansam

arthurmorgan

Nov 1, 2021
Visit site
Hi, what happened in the end? Is it a good match?

I was in hifi store and there was Naim XS on the shelf, and I connected my Grado SR325e and it was awful. No words can describe that awful sound. I wish I had Sundara and Ananda that day so I can make final conlusion, but still I don't think speakers amplifiers are good match with headphones. Grados sound 10 times better with my Topping A30P/D30P stack than matched with Naim XS which is 4 times more expensive. But XS with loudspeakers is amazing match.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts